USAF Independence Day July 4th Special

I still don't understand why the killed off the C-17, between it and the A-400 you have probably the two most versatile transport aircraft ever made.
Also I still like the A-10.

I still don't understand why the killed off the C-17, between it and the A-400 you have probably the two most versatile transport aircraft ever made.
Also I still like the A-10.
Don't remember exactly. Either got all they wanted, or that Congress would fund, and either wouldn't, couldn't/didn't get any foreign sales. A-10 is quite a ground support aircraft. Probably should be transferred to the Army, USAF is all about the Fighters.

Don't remember exactly. Either got all they wanted, or that Congress would fund, and either wouldn't, couldn't/didn't get any foreign sales. A-10 is quite a ground support aircraft. Probably should be transferred to the Army, USAF is all about the Fighters.

I am not sure they marketed the C-17 all that well, I know both the RAF and the RAAF use them and we wanted them but could only buy secondhand ones at that stage.

From our point of view both it and the Airbus A-400M would be ideal, large enough to carry our NH-90 Helicopters and NZLAVs, can operate from short runways (important to us as we do a lot of disaster relief around the pacfic) and excellent range.
Instead we are getting the C-130J-30 which is an excellent aircraft but cant carry out NH-90s and can only carry a NZLAV if they remove the turret, essentially it is too small, I struggle to understand why we would buy a transport aircraft that cant carry either of our main vehicles used in any deployment.

The US was going to sell F-22s to Australia but a single Senator blocked the deal.

We have a strange theory on defense in this country, as an island nation miles from anywhere the only defense we really need is a strong air force.
At one stage we were in the process of buying F-16s but I think we should have gone for the F-15 and replaced the P-3 Orion's with drones for maritime enforcement of our borders, instead we just got rid of our air combat wing and purchased some unsuitable frigates one of which buckled in the southern ocean.

We have a strange theory on defense in this country, as an island nation miles from anywhere the only defense we really need is a strong air force.
At one stage we were in the process of buying F-16s but I think we should have gone for the F-15 and replaced the P-3 Orion's with drones for maritime enforcement of our borders, instead we just got rid of our air combat wing and purchased some unsuitable frigates one of which buckled in the southern ocean.
F-15s would have been good. Really can't imagine drones covering the area that the P-3 can.

Back