Usa! Usa! Usa!...

Chief Bones said:
There are those that are planning on us ending up with a Can-Am-Mex multicultural pride instead of old fashioned American pride.

Umm but what exactly is "old fashioned American pride." if not a mixture of its early settlement nations which would be European, Spanish (Mexican) and British/French (which is more or less Canadian).
Oh and I know Britain, France and Spain are European but they were in the american colonisation game well before the likes of Italy, Germany etc.

?

Why are you guys so worried about change? If anything it will affect the cities for a while and then deseminate across main stream culture to a point where people forget where it came from. Like how rock and roll was original black in origin but was breeded in so many ways that it changed attitude completely. That's just popular culture but it's how things are, it's how it's always been, how can you worry about that now?

BTW, most hispanic immigrants do want to learn english if they don't know it. It's very advantageous for getting a better quality of life.

Gee, remember when those white as eggs catholic irish were ruining this country? What happened to them? Oh yeah, they're americans now.

I'm biased ... but ... here goes .....

Warmachine
The thrust of my post is NOT as vain or as trivial as you would paint it.

There are those that would marginalize the contributions that have been made by all of the immigrants that have come to this country and added their presence to the melting pot which is the United States of America. The contributions haven't always been peaceful or voluntary ... the growing pains of the "grand experiment" (democracy), were sometimes violent.

The spirit of America is a unique amalgamation that is America's alone ... no other country has been able to match the US for the smooth blending of cultures. This is the ONLY country that has citizens from every other country on earth. Even Europe with it's ancient lineage hasn't been able to match America's melting pot blending.

What these jerks would do is to destroy the spirit of this uniqueness and replace it with some kind of creature which isn't Canadian, Mexican or American. It would be a creature which would be unrecognizable to the immigrants that made America the nation everyone else wants to immigrate to ... America would no longer have the reputation of having it's city's streets paved with gold ... and ... America would no longer be the magnet for those who would improve their lot in life.

I absolutely know that there are going to be those who are members of this forum that are going to bristle and violently disagree with MY biased assessment ... after all, I AM AN AMERICAN that loves his country even with it's scars and blemishes, who will oppose those that would destroy it's uniqueness.

Those that dislike America will have the most slanted posts ... and ... I fully expect that. You are welcome to your opinions ... just don't expect me to agree with them.

For a country that started with nothing, America has become something unique in the World. It took all kinds of people working together to become what we are today ONE. E Pluribus Unum, as far as I remember, is still our motto. One irony that I like to refer to is that the work of a group of Jews ended one of our most destructive wars in Japan.

Change is change.

You either make sure chane happens smoothly or you oppose it and contribute very little in the process. Especially in this country where change happens frequently for all sorts of reasons.

WarMachine said:
Change is change.

You either make sure chane happens smoothly or you oppose it and contribute very little in the process. Especially in this country where change happens frequently for all sorts of reasons.
Change for change sake is counter productive ... that is something that America has never done ... any change was a natural progression/natural evolution (or) something that was thought out over a long time. This takes in societal experiments, growing pains, wars, civil unrest and all sorts and manner of other civil and moral areas.

The "Grand Experiment" has survived good leaders, bad leaders, good laws, bad laws, war, civil unrest, deep recessions and all manner of difficult times. The melting pot, the deep faith that runs throughout the nation and above all else, an abiding belief that America can/will overcome any obstacle ... all of these things and more have inoculated the nation with a will to survive and succeed that is missing from many other countries.

Just when foreign people think that the US is going down for the count, the United States rebounds with a flash and a will that amazes and baffles our detractors.

As long as the United States is the destination for those seeking a better life and the melting pot continues to absorb the best of the immigrants contributions, America will continue to be the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.

I bet it was changed because nobody knew that E pluribus unum meant "out of many, one", i think that's right anyway. In god we trust is much simpler and it's on a lot of our money, making our currency like memo if you will.

C/1Lt Henderson said:
I liked E Pluribus Unum...It truely represented the American way.
Yeah but In God We Trust makes you people look like the religious nuts that you are :p

Jus' kidding. I agree E Pluribus Unum sounds like a pretty cool motto.

Correct me if i'm wrong here...

When i see national pride in the US, its more of a we're better than you sort of a love. You know.. like in comparison. Its like we love you because our lot in life is better here than a lot of other people in different countries. I mean i have yet to come across the sort of patriotism that says i love my nation even if it were a hell hole.
Its like, when i feel patriotic, its like a love for my country, despite numerous glaring things that in themselves i detest. Love for culture and history, the people and like for the very land. Its like when i'm in some of the more beautiful, geographical areas, i feel a certain sense of pride.
Stuff like that.

Till now, all i have seen is either patriotism when in comparison/conflict with something else, and love for the country because its rich/powerful, thus enabling the individual to enjoy a good life. Maybe its because i haven't close enough interactions with too many people there, or because the people i am close to aren't particularly patriotic. I dunno...like i said, correct me if i'm missing something.

ps- somebody should start a poll on which of the two mottos is cooler/ more apt.

I dunno, I'm pretty patriotic when it comes to our history and culture.

and yeh there defintely is a "were better than you feeling" cause we are :)

fingolfin361 said:
Correct me if i'm wrong here...

When i see national pride in the US, its more of a we're better than you sort of a love. You know.. like in comparison. Its like we love you because our lot in life is better here than a lot of other people in different countries. I mean i have yet to come across the sort of patriotism that says i love my nation even if it were a hell hole.
Its like, when i feel patriotic, its like a love for my country, despite numerous glaring things that in themselves i detest. Love for culture and history, the people and like for the very land. Its like when i'm in some of the more beautiful, geographical areas, i feel a certain sense of pride.
Stuff like that.

Till now, all i have seen is either patriotism when in comparison/conflict with something else, and love for the country because its rich/powerful, thus enabling the individual to enjoy a good life. Maybe its because i haven't close enough interactions with too many people there, or because the people i am close to aren't particularly patriotic. I dunno...like i said, correct me if i'm missing something.

ps- somebody should start a poll on which of the two mottos is cooler/ more apt.
I for one only feel a tiny bit of the "we're better than you" love...And can you blame us? We are one of the top dog countries...Anyway, when I feel patriotic, I feel proud to have been born here knowing that even with all its scars and blemishes, I love the United States of America. Even with all the hard times we as a nation have been through, America will find a way to get around it and perhaps even make a good situation from it. My country has done some fantastic things. Granted, we've made bad decisions from time to time, but overall, we are a good nation. To read my countries history is to read a tale of pride, justice,strength, immense willpower, drama, action, comedy, and romance.Thats what I feel.

Yep, history and culture have a lot to do with it. And i can understand the "we're better than you" thing, i mean its natural...just ask the French :p

fingolfin361 said:
Yep, history and culture have a lot to do with it. And i can understand the "we're better than you" thing, i mean its natural...just ask the French :p

Ouch! Touche' :smile:

C/1Lt Henderson said:
I for one only feel a tiny bit of the "we're better than you" love...And can you blame us? We are one of the top dog countries...Anyway, when I feel patriotic, I feel proud to have been born here knowing that even with all its scars and blemishes, I love the United States of America. Even with all the hard times we as a nation have been through, America will find a way to get around it and perhaps even make a good situation from it. My country has done some fantastic things. Granted, we've made bad decisions from time to time, but overall, we are a good nation. To read my countries history is to read a tale of pride.
I for one feel a whole h*ll of a lot of "we're better than you love for my country" ... because ... in many many ways we are better than other countries. Now this is NOT a put-down of other countries ... it is because of one simple fact - the United States is the melting pot of the world and we have absorbed all that is good from other countries while shedding much that was bad.

As C/1 said, we have made some bad choices in our history ... but, by and large, we have learned from them. No where else in the world, will you find as open and free a society as you will find in the United States (and that includes England and Canada) - personal opinion.

I make my post - NOT because I am putting down other countries and am trying to get a fight started ... but ... because I honestly believe that the United States of America is the greatest nation on the face of the earth.

I WOULD NOT LIKE TO LIVE IN ANY OTHER COUNTRY.

Back