Usa! Usa! Usa!...

FOX is a joke, they are parodied by daily show not because jon stewart hates them, but because they provide the funniest material.

No, the daily show is a joke and he parrodies fox news because hes a liberal.

I don't think i can say that for any network in this nation whether they're communists run or backed by old money CEOs.

C-Span.

Nowhere in the whole world is the flag shown or displayed or waven as much as it is in the US.
It is a sign of patriotism, and there is NOTHING wrong with that.
What is wrong is not caring about one's country and forgetting to thank the flag for the democracy we enjoy in our countries.
The US still remember, and that's one of the reasons why it is one of the few Western societies not collapsing yet.
Far from being "blinded" by patriotism, the Americans are aware of the reality and complexity of the world, while Europeans are generally asleep.

Patriotism is a much misused word. It is NOT a blind love of country ... it's also NOT my country is better than your country.

What it is ... is love of country even though you know it has a number of warts and scars ... it is also spending a portion of your life in service to your country so that others can continue to enjoy the freedoms they sometimes take for granted ... it is this and more ... those who have it sometimes have problems articulating just what it is ... and ... those who don't, constantly try to find fault. It isn't just waving the flag.

It is very easy to identify who is patriotic and who is not.

WarMachine said:
FOX is a joke, they are parodied by daily show not because jon stewart hates them.

You forgot to mention that everyone in government has been a victim of the Daily Show, even the Pope.

The daily show was never meant to be taken seriously, it's funny. And when they run clips of FOX news, i can't stop laughing at what jerks they are.

Anyway, i had a thought about why america is so patriotic compared to other countries. I bet you it's because we're still a relatively young nation that hasn't really gone through anything truly devastating. Once you some horrible happens to your nation it seems that people blame themselves and their national pride that got them into the situation. I'm not saying that ww2 and the civil war weren't bad, but they weren't near apocalyptic. Germany, Russia, Japan and others have been ruined before, and they're wary of anything that can take them down that path again.

I bet if anything like that were to happen in ameirca, people would be less patriotic given the whole human mass psychology thing. As it stands it's pretty safe, but who knows what can happen down the road. For better or worse i suppose. Not trying to be a downer here, just an insight is all.

"What is wrong is not caring about one's country and forgetting to thank the flag for the democracy we enjoy in our countries."

Sorry, I had no idea the Swedish flag saved Sweden from being a dictatorship. How can we thank our flag for that? And who thanks a flag, when you can thank the men and women that actually did it rather then a colored peice of cloth? heh

AlexKall said:
"What is wrong is not caring about one's country and forgetting to thank the flag for the democracy we enjoy in our countries."

Nothing at all if that's the way you truly feel about your country. A flag is just a symbol of National pride and a sort of emblem to remember your war dead. That's all.

AlexKall said:
Sorry, I had no idea the Swedish flag saved Sweden from being a dictatorship. How can we thank our flag for that?

Like this, place your hand over your heart and remove your hat or cap, or if you're on active duty, salute when Sweden's colors are carried reverently past you.

AlexKall said:
And who thanks a flag, when you can thank the men and women that actually did it rather then a colored peice of cloth? heh

You can't, most are dead. But they left you something to remember them by, freedom, and a symbol of their sacrifice.

I think countries should have 2 flags, the regular flag and the war banner...

You know, so they would represent different things. Kind of like those old Confederate flags, the one most people think is their standard flag (the blue X with stars in it on a red background) is actually their war flag.

major liability said:
I think countries should have 2 flags, the regular flag and the war banner...

You know, so they would represent different things. Kind of like those old Confederate flags, the one most people think is their standard flag (the blue X with stars in it on a red background) is actually their war flag.

Probably a good idea. Like in Sweden's case, during WWII, they were neutral but some fought with Finland against the Russians in 1939 and some were volunteers in the German army during WWII even though National sympathy was for the Allies. Keeping their National flag out of battle would be a good idea.

Rabs said:
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/06/27/D8IGNV700.html

Proud to be an American arent you?

And a question to non-Americans, were I live about 1 out of every 4 houses has some sort of US flag displayed is this similar to way things are in other countries?

Yes, everyone in our street has an Australian flag flapping away in our front gardens. John Howard (our great war leader) encourages Australians to do this by giving a tax deduction to any Australian who buys a flag and flagpole.

From the tenor of the posts I can tell which people are Americans and which are not ... not only that, I can tell those who love their own countries and those who don't.

CAN'T YOU?????

WarMachine said:
different countries different attitudes, get over it.
Get over what???????

All I said was
From the tenor of the posts I can tell which people are Americans and which are not ... not only that, I can tell those who love their own countries and those who don't.

CAN'T YOU?????

"Like this, place your hand over your heart and remove your hat or cap, or if you're on active duty, salute when Sweden's colors are carried reverently past you."

I was asking, how can we tank a meterial thing for saving Sweden from a dictatorship which still existed when the flag was formed, atleast I consider that king to have been a dictator :|

"You can't, most are dead. But they left you something to remember them by, freedom, and a symbol of their sacrifice."

Since when has death made it impossible to thank those that lost their life? We have a holyday for that. And even though you can't thank them personly (wink wink) you can give them a thought of thankfullness. ;)

AlexKall said:
"Like this, place your hand over your heart and remove your hat or cap, or if you're on active duty, salute when Sweden's colors are carried reverently past you."

I was asking, how can we tank a meterial thing for saving Sweden from a dictatorship which still existed when the flag was formed, atleast I consider that king to have been a dictator :|

"You can't, most are dead. But they left you something to remember them by, freedom, and a symbol of their sacrifice."

Since when has death made it impossible to thank those that lost their life? We have a holyday for that. And even though you can't thank them personly (wink wink) you can give them a thought of thankfullness. ;)

I just answered your questions as I understood them. If you don't want to participate in any patriotic customs, you are free to do so.

WarMachine said:
Anyway, i had a thought about why america is so patriotic compared to other countries. I bet you it's because we're still a relatively young nation that hasn't really gone through anything truly devastating. Once you some horrible happens to your nation it seems that people blame themselves and their national pride that got them into the situation. I'm not saying that ww2 and the civil war weren't bad, but they weren't near apocalyptic. Germany, Russia, Japan and others have been ruined before, and they're wary of anything that can take them down that path again.

Yeah, because the Army of the Potoman wasn't actually much of a threat to Washington, even if Lee had suceeded in routing the Union forces leaving Washington completely cut off from the rest of the nation and forcing Lincoln to sign the peace treaty the Confederates had prepared prior to Gettysburg it wouldn't have been truly devastating to the nation. Thirty years to rebuild the South? That wasn't devastation, that was an accident. 500,000 American soldiers dead. The Southern economy in ruins. One American President assassinated. Union forces occupying the South for decades. That's not devastating? In WWII German forces came within 50 miles of Moscow before being stopped. In the Civil War Confederate forces were already north of Washington and were it not a chance meeting near a small town in Pennsylvania the United States of America could very well share a border with the Confederate States of America. The United States knows and has seen devastation on her own territory. The biggest difference and possibly only difference between post Civil War Richmond and post WWII Berlin is that the devastation brought upon Richmond by Americans against Americans and the destruction of Berlin was at the hands of the Russians.

Americans killing Americans, it doesn't get any worse than that.

Back