Usa! Usa! Usa!...

Rabs said:
And a question to non-Americans, were I live about 1 out of every 4 houses has some sort of US flag displayed is this similar to way things are in other countries?
Haha NEVER!

However, A LOT of cars are flying the German flag nowadays. You sometimes also see flags of other countries still in the World Cup.

Circumstances of birth are nothing to be proud or ashamed of.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
Circumstances of birth are nothing to be proud or ashamed of.

I was born in Cuba, yet I am a proud American. I am both proud of the fact that I am Cuban but I'm also ashamed of the fact that Cuba is a communist cesspool.

America is my country.

'Nuff Said...

jequirity said:
I have to admit that i'm proud to be scottish but you wouldn't catch too many waving flags about hereunless scotland are playing football.

I'm definitely not a patriot though, the word scares me because its too close to being a fanatic. I do find it very unnerving when people start waving flags about, i don't see the point.

I find that politicians that are failing usually use patriotism as a tool and tend to wrap themselves up in the flag as a last resort. I'm a human first and foremost and i value the lives of all citizens as equal.

Its good to have a wee bit of pride for your country but just don't become blinded by it, be rational first.
I agree 100% I am always reminded of two quotes
1) Samuel Johnson’s definition of patriotism in his dictionary of the English language, published in the eighteenth century. “Patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels.".
2) "Patriots dont ask questions", my highschool history teacher during a discussion on propaganda usage in Pre-WW2 Germany.

It is natural for people to worldwide to want and show pride in their nation and I fully support that however I have never understood the need for flags or national symbols while at home (government buildings excluded) I have always felt that it came across more like an indoctrination than a sign of patriotism.

Rabs said:
Diffrence in culture i guess.

Very much so, at its root there is much to be encouraged in patriotic action but at its extreme it is just as dangerous as fanaticism the key is to find the happy medium.

Everyone is patriotic, the difference is that some are more outwardly patriotic than others. (Flag waving, starting a USA! USA! USA! chant at Six Flags completely at random BEFORE 9/11, fireworks on the fourth.)

(Flag waving, starting a USA! USA! USA! chant at Six Flags completely at random BEFORE 9/11, fireworks on the fourth.)
Im not sure what you ment by that but if anyone did that at Six flags for no aparent reason, I'd be kinda worried. Theres a fine line between being patriotic and being crazy. Im glad I see the flag at six flags and places it should be there but im not going to join in a USA chant for no reason.

Last edited:
5.56X45mm said:
I was born in Cuba, yet I am a proud American. I am both proud of the fact that I am Cuban but I'm also ashamed of the fact that Cuba is a communist cesspool.

America is my country.

'Nuff Said...
Fair enuff, but most of the other Americans were born in the USA.

America is a very big nation, patriotism tends to be higher in some places than others. Don't feel it much where i live, though if you drive a few miles it might change completely, it's just the attitude of the neighborhood.

Come to think of it, during memorial day weekend here, the mainstreets of the the city were lined with flags that are still up. I have no idea who put them there or why they still haven't taken them down, i mean they're getting weathered.

I don't think it's bad to like your own country, but it's when it starts becoming jingoistic that there's problems. FOX news is a joke, i swear they put the flag on everyone of their shows to boost ratings and not to be patriotic.

FOX news is a joke, i swear they put the flag on everyone of their shows to boost ratings and not to be patriotic.
Maybe being patriotic boosts rateings. If they have a conservative slant, and like to display whos side there on (i often get confused with other networks.)

I'm not saying thats a good thing but if I want news hard news, Il go to drudge or the guardian online, or just about any of the british papers websites. But somedays after a long day I wanna come hear and good things that make me happy from people that I agree with polotically, (people who read the NY times do the same thing) and all the better they have a US flag on there lapel.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the concept that flying your nation's flag is a sign of some manner of moral deficiency.

I live in an area that is heavily populated by internationals. On my three mile drive to work, I saw cars flying the flag of the UK, Australia, Canada, various South and Central American countries, and a few African nations as well. It seems like an awful lot of people display their colors. Why shouldn't I?

Depends on where you live , but I doubt you would. I've seen too many edgy little kiddies around here with similar stickers and decals plastered all over themselves and their cars.

FOX is a joke, they are parodied by daily show not because jon stewart hates them, but because they provide the funniest material. I too like to listen to british news because they are rational thinking in their approach to bringing non biased news. I don't think i can say that for any network in this nation whether they're communists run or backed by old money CEOs.

I wasn't trying to start a partisan crap either, i was highlighting a problem that is degrading a society that is democratic. That is we need non partial news because you need to educate the voting populace on important issues so they understand the issues they're dealing with.

Flags can be completely harmless and the reason i think they are so widely used is because they are one of the few common cultural factors in this country that people can look up to. When a network or any body uses that sort of symbolism to advance their own interests, well they're just being cocks.

Back