USA not ready for 9/11??????

LIPS

I have just read in the newspaper that the USA was not ready for such an attack. WELL can sombody tell me how any country could be ready for such an attack and on such a scale?? Who would have thought such a thing could happen?? I think the world has learnt a lot from that fatal day. And I beleive that the bond between the Coalition of the Willing is stronger than ever before to see this through to the END.

The CIA did have information that an attack would happen, but not where or when. Im sure Al Quida will go bye-bye one day all thanks to those in uniform.

I felt exactly the same way when I heard that, Scott, and now they're claiming that we didn't react to the attacks fast enough due to "confusion." What the hell did these people expect? The government to have an SOP for terrorists flying planes into buildings? Let alone EXPECT it to happen. I'm afraid it's turning into a witchhunt over here, and nobody seems to care that the real witches are running around the Middle East right now planning more attacks.

What are they smoking......How the heck are you supposed to have a plan to defend against cowards crashing planes into buidlings...I can see for a SOP for a hijacking like how to take them down and not let them get what they want but unless we have patriot missles set up in every state then there is no way really do defend it...except stop it before it happens

Only way to minimize the chance is better airport secrutity, but that wouldnt eliminate it. I agree that its quite a stupid remark.

nulli secundus said:
The CIA did have information that an attack would happen, but not where or when. Im sure Al Quida will go bye-bye one day all thanks to those in uniform.

HOOAH!

We should take a lesson from Isreal. Their airline takes no crap from nobody! Unless you have an immediate death wish, you probably won't be taking weapons on their planes...

Well, gotta disagree a bit here.

Its been known for a long time that Osamas lot wanted to spill American blood, remember the World Trade Centre. So we knew they wanted to go for big buildings.

Other terrorists have attacked public transport (Israel, Japan etc), and terrorist plane hijackings have been quite common. So we knew they weren't afraid of hijacking planes.

This type of strategy had been used before (Lockerbie), where numerous deaths ocurred on the ground. So we knew they had seen the potential of using a plane as a bomb.

Furthermore Osama has a university degree in Engineering, thus maybe attracted to larger structures as targets.

The plans had already been found by police on a laptop in the Phillipines 6 years earlier, the Israeli Mossat warned the FBI about the attack, a flight instructor warned the FBI about Moussaoui. And there was loads of other anecdotal evidence (such as the flurry of activity among terrorist groups for 6 months prior to the attacks with pretty much all secret service organisations aware something big was coming up, and it involved airplanes).

I think the failure was in putting all the evidence together. I suspect they may eventually discover the FBI or CIA knew about this but just didn't believe it. The cover of "interests of national security" also allows the secret agencies to conceal their mistakes, will the truth ever be known?

Lazza.

Lazza said:
The plans had already been found by police on a laptop in the Phillipines 6 years earlier, the Israeli Mossat warned the FBI about the attack, a flight instructor warned the FBI about Moussaoui. And there was loads of other anecdotal evidence (such as the flurry of activity among terrorist groups for 6 months prior to the attacks with pretty much all secret service organisations aware something big was coming up, and it involved airplanes).

Provide sources for your information. This goes for the rest of you as well.

If somebody wants something bad enough they will find a way no matter what stands in their way. No one no matter who they are can ever be prepared for everything that could possibly happen if that were true then there would be no point in training. All you can do is keep your guys ready and motivated and react to whatever situation may occurr.

USA Today had a recent article about this topic. There was a complete timeline of events that occured that morning. I cant remember the specifics but a few things stuck out in my mind. About 45 minutes after the first plane hit the WTC the military was told that same plane was headed to Boston or something. I mean come on.. 45 minutes!?!? I think the public knew before the military was told. Another thing I read was that a National Guard c130 (i think) watched the plane fly into the Pentagon. I'm sure a lot of things could have been done differently that morning.. but they weren't and there is nothing we can do about it now.. except learn.

Back