USA army structure

EladBell

hello fellow americans
i want to know about the USA military sturcture....how many brigades...how any companies in each brigade...equipment tranning boot camp periods and so on thank u

While what you're asking for is readily available through a simple Google search, it violates OPSEC to announce it here.

hello fellow americans
i want to know about the USA military sturcture....how many brigades...how any companies in each brigade...equipment tranning boot camp periods and so on thank u

Wow that question might actually be THE question that manage to break the most OPSEC points if answered in detail..:wink:

I had no idea you could violate OPSEC with publicly available information. Those are some crazy technicalities.

It's called the Ease of Information Act.

The Internet is a very powerful tool, and if you dig deep enough and long enough on the right path, you'll find what you're looking for eventually. But OPSEC isn't just about super-secret-squirrel stuff like the top speed of the B2 bomber. It's about the public availability of information. If the desired information is sensitive (not necessarily secret) and exists in a few places, and a few people share with a few people who share with a few people, then the sensitive information is now widely known.

For instance:

I keep in touch with guys in the sandbox. I know which camp they're at, what they do most days, and I have a fairly good idea of the missions they do and when they typically do them. It is not secret information, but it is sensitive information. If you dug around long enough, you'd probably find out what I already know. But that will take you TIME - time in which all those variables -- missions, readiness, timing and etc -- are likely to change. If I go running my yap, you'll know NOW. That could make that information useful to you - which is why it is considered sensitive.

That's why I, personally, consider it OPSEC. I cannot change the fact that information that may be useful to you is somewhat public. However, I can do my best to ensure that any sensitive information I am privy to stays with me and doesn't become any more public than it already is.

It's also important to note that MY idea of OPSEC may be overly-cautious. My soon-to-be-wife, Wanda, works VERY closely with the SOF contingents at Pacific Fleet (SEALS). She knows where they're going and when before they do, as she is the messenger that transfers their orders (except for the uber top-top-top secret stuff, which only a VERY small handful of people ever know). 90% of her job she can't even tell ME about. And even if she could, I doubt she would. Not because she doesn't trust me, but because both she and I adhere to the principle of need-to-know. I don't need to know what Team XX is doing tomorrow, so why even discuss it?

Idle curiosity, even when completely innocent, can inadvertently expose secrets that can be used against our military's mission, risking lives AND the mission itself.

Because I am so close to Wanda, I don't JUST appreciate her sense of need-to-know. I watch very closely what I ask; it may be innocent, but as the discussion gets deeper, it could lead to her accidentally informing me of something I really shouldn't know. It hasn't happened yet, but I am a watchdog of the information we pass between each other, just as she is. Need-to-know.

That's where the line becomes fuzzy. She would NEVER release red-folder (top secret) information to me, even by accident. But she could innocently release details that I could piece together for myself to get a good idea of what was in that red folder; if I was so inclined, which I am not.

So I am pretty picky about OPSEC - more so than the average guy. Sensitive information is a daily part of my life because I am so closely connected with the guys in the field and with my fiance'. Nothing I know is not publicly available information. However, MOST of what I know aren't issues Hadji would even think to ask. Just as an example, I know one mission of the SEALS that 99% of the population doesn't know. It's public information. But no one asks, because most people would never equate this particular mission and its assigned contingent to any SOF group. I violate nothing to speak of it. But if I do, it gives just one more opportunity to put those men in harm's way if the wrong person who was asking the wrong questions suddenly gets an epiphany from my release of information and begins asking the right questions. Because of that possibility, it is sensitive information and should not be shared with anyone who doesn't need to KNOW.

So, to me, if it involves what our boys and girls are doing today or tomorrow, it is OPSEC and on a need-to-known platform.

Any of this make sense, sir?

NOTE: "You" is a generic term and is no way meant to denote any one person, including Major Liability. I use it only in context of the answer for ease of description.

Last edited:
Interesting. AZ, I wouldn't have even given the information about who your future wife deals with.
But yes, what AZ said is correct. The potency of information depends on time. There are a lot of information regarding the South Korean military in Korean on the internet but it's all in Korean. By releasing something in English I would be doing outsiders who shouldn't know but want to know a big service.

Interesting. AZ, I wouldn't have even given the information about who your future wife deals with.
But yes, what AZ said is correct. The potency of information depends on time. There are a lot of information regarding the South Korean military in Korean on the internet but it's all in Korean. By releasing something in English I would be doing outsiders who shouldn't know but want to know a big service.

I did so only as a precursor to explain how idle curiosity can easily be twisted into something that is no longer innocent. As a DOD employee, what she does is very public information. Someone has to filter the messages to make sure they go where they are supposed to go, and it just so happens I am in love with one of those "someones." As an introduction to an explanation, I harbor no hesitation to announce her importance to this nation. I'm very proud of it, in fact.

The information of her career is useless to anyone. Because of her significance in classified matters, and her closeness to me, we are both extremely careful to say only what should be said. Letting people know what she does will not lead to anything bad. Even if someone here managed to get through me, which is highly unlikely, getting to her would be impossible. I am the very first in a LONG line of protection. I would love to pretend that I am her protection. But she has the entire Navy and Marines to do that for me, so I am insignificant. :(

Regardless, and as I said, it was only a lead-in to discuss how innocent information passed between parties must be carefully monitored, using her to identify my knowledge and credibility in the area of that particular discussion.

How are YOU, Dale? It's been a while since we've talked, and for that I am truly sorry. I have been working my tail off, and then I come home and have to do umpteen hours of college every night. If I am lucky, I may get 5 hours of sleep. And even then, they are more cat naps than they are full rest cycles. So I took this weekend to rest a bit and get caught up on college stuff, and next week I have a 5-day mini-vacation to fly out to CA to spend some time with her. Sigh... 6 days and a wake up. God, I cannot wait to just have to do... nothing!

I'm doing alright.
Glad you have things going for you. Difficult it may be, but at least you have something.

AZ, the Navy and the Marines may be her official protection but you can react faster. You are not insignificant.

I'm doing alright.
Glad you have things going for you. Difficult it may be, but at least you have something.

AZ, the Navy and the Marines may be her official protection but you can react faster. You are not insignificant.

While the sentiment is appreciated, it is incorrect. Her best friend in the world is a CDR in the Navy, a retired SEAL now serving in logistics. Next is a CPT, also former SOF, and also in logistics. She is surrounded by Marine Recon, SEALS and even one Army Ranger (he's the branch liason for the unified effort side).

I don't even compare with them guys. I was just a lowly grunt. These people have more time killing than I have in service.

I am grateful, as she is under protection and safe from any threat. It (they) would be eliminated before I ever even knew. But I admit that I am a bit jealous. I guess I just wish that I was one of those SOF guys that could care for her as she deserves. I'd die for her, but dying for her wouldn't save her. These guys she knows don't NEED to die for her, as they can kill for her.

Oh well. I am not ashamed of my service. I just wish I'd have done more with it :(

Regardless, any threat to her WILL go through me. And although a SEAL and a MFR can ruin your world, it really is me you need to be concerned about. They love her as a friend. But I love her as a wife. And the Infantry doesn't exactly teach us placification. I may not be SOF, but one would think that I am if they screw with her.

Back to thread topic...

They need authorization to act. You don't.

6 days and a wake up, and I'll be "acting" alright, lol! CA here I come!

Seriously. All her SOF friends respect me. They wouldn't need authorization to act on her behalf. She is loved by many, but none so more than me. It's a good kind of love, a best friend kind of love. There are certain lines in Combat Arms, regardless of branch, that we do NOT cross. Cheating is one of those. Not that Wanda would ever cheat on me, as I know she wouldn't. But what I am saying is that they wouldn't cross that, either. She is their sister and I am her husband.

Either way, crossing her is not a good idea. Unlike them, I no longer have the military affiliation. I'd break your knees and do my 6 months in jail.

Same for Brooke. And same for you. No one hurts my friends.

That was my point.
I'm sure it'll never come to that but you know what I mean.
I'm glad you have good people in your life. Every one of them is precious.

I understand totally AZ but you're kind of breaking your own rule there. I post a comment about publicly available information and we get a story about Wanda and the SOF that protect her. :D

Back