US Withdrawal Iraq Reactions

Hi, I am looking for reactions to the US pullout of Iraq from officials from Japan, South Korea and India. I have not been able to find anything. Please let me know what you think about the pullout too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Withdrawal_of_U.S._troops_from_Iraq

The withdrawal of US forces may increase the Iranian influence in Iraq. The major American goal was not to reduce the Iran's influence, rather to build up a democratic state in Iraq to reduce the presence of extremists and the Iranian influence. They may have left to early and they left the door open. The US had also domestic economic reasons to leave as well.

http://csis.org/publication/real-outcome-iraq-war-us-and-iranian-strategic-competition-iraq

Last edited:
The withdrawal of US forces may increase the Iranian influence in Iraq. The major American goal was not to reduce the Iran's influence, rather to build up a democratic state in Iraq to reduce the presence of extremists and the Iranian influence. They may have left to early and they leaved the door open. The US had also domestic economic reasons to leave as well.

http://csis.org/publication/real-outcome-iraq-war-us-and-iranian-strategic-competition-iraq

They wanted to stay longer but they couldn't get the right conditions from the Iraquis. I'm afraid it is going to get ugly there.

They wanted to stay longer but they couldn't get the right conditions from the Iraquis. I'm afraid it is going to get ugly there.

You think it will turn into something similar as Lebanon during the 1980s?

Last edited:
I was thinking it would just go full blow civil war with Sunnis v Shi'ites and the Kurds stuck in between them.

I think the Kurds will support the sunnis. They gave refuge to Vice-President Tariq al-Hashemi, a sunni. Sunni Anbar province wants to be more independent and when civil war starts they might go for total independence and the kurds propably will follow and will try to seize the oil fields.

Question is, what will Iran do? Will they send "peacekeepers" to save Maliki's government, or wil they jusy send money, arms and fighters to the militias?

Do not forget that Iran is losing Syria, so Iraq can come in handy. On the other hand Saudi Arabia might also be eager to "re-sunni" Iraq and will surely help the sunnis.

And the US? It's election year so Obama might be more agressive.

Anyway, 2012 will give us the answer.

I think the Kurds will support the sunnis. They gave refuge to Vice-President Tariq al-Hashemi, a sunni. Sunni Anbar province wants to be more independent and when civil war starts they might go for total independence and the kurds propably will follow and will try to seize the oil fields.

Question is, what will Iran do? Will they send "peacekeepers" to save Maliki's government, or wil they jusy send money, arms and fighters to the militias?

Do not forget that Iran is losing Syria, so Iraq can come in handy. On the other hand Saudi Arabia might also be eager to "re-sunni" Iraq and will surely help the sunnis.

And the US? It's election year so Obama might be more agressive.

Anyway, 2012 will give us the answer.

I believe Iran will support financially and with arms, but not take part in an intra state war in Iraq, similar as they finance and support Hezbollah in Lebanon. How the US will react, you may be right. If the US is more willing to show force, due to the election and the Iranians are more aggressive as a reaction to the threat of sanctions. The Hormuz strait activity may be only harsh rhetoric or something real.

Back