Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no, abortion is wrong

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chewie_nz

Banned
US wants UN to declare that abortion is not a right
01 March 2005

UNITED NATIONS: The Bush administration insisted yesterday that a United Nations document on women's equality make clear that abortion is not a fundamental right and accused activists of trying to distort the issue.

Even UN secretary-general Kofi Annan, in his opening speech to a high-level review session of the 1995 Beijing Conference on Women, came in for criticism for using the term "sexual rights" which the US delegates said was undefined.

"There is no fundamental right to abortion," said Ellen Sauerbrey, the US delegate to the UN Commission on the Status of Women, which is running the review.

"And yet it keeps coming up largely driven by NGOs (non-governmental groups) trying to hijack the term and trying to make it into a definition," she told a news conference. She would not name any of the activist groups.

The UN meeting, with at least 100 government delegations, 80 ministers from Afghanistan to Peru, and some 6000 advocates of women's rights, was called to review progress since the landmark global conference in Beijing 10 years ago.

Rather than producing a lengthy document, the organisers decided to keep controversies in check by writing a short declaration that reaffirms and pledges implementation of the 150-page platform of action agreed in Beijing.

But, to the dismay of European and some Latin American delegates, the United States submitted amendments, declaring that the Beijing conference did not create "new international human rights" and did not include the right to abortion.

In Beijing, abortion was treated as a health issue, with the 150-page platform saying it should be safe where it was legal and criminal action should not be taken against women who underwent the procedure.

The Bush administration does not disagree with this position but has instituted a variety of policies to make sure any US foreign assistance is not used for abortions.

Sauerbrey referred to "sexual rights" which she said were undefined and one reason the US amendments opposed any new international rights. She noted Annan had used the term.

Annan, in his address, said governments had to "guarantee sexual and reproductive health and rights," noting that half a million women die of pregnancy-related causes every year.

The Beijing conference, the fourth international forum on women's rights, called for governments to end discrimination in education, health care, politics, employment, inheritance rights and many other fields.

But it broke new ground by stating women, and in many cases girls forced to marry young, had the right to decide how often they would have children "without coercion".

The United States has also drafted two resolutions for the conference – on sex trafficking and prostitution and on empowering women economically, which will refer to property rights, Sauerbrey said.

Women now own about 2 per cent of all land but produce half the food grown, UN figures show. In many societies, for women the right to own and inherit property is neglected and in some countries it is forbidden.

More controversial is a draft resolution on trafficking which Sauerbrey said would take small steps towards outlawing prostitution by asking for research into the relationship of sex tourism and luring women and girls into brothels.

"We know legalised prostitution is a big part of some nations' economy," Sauerbrey said. "Getting countries to acknowledge there is a relationship between legalized prostitution. . . and trafficking is the next step."

UN figures say that 90 per cent of foreign sex workers in the Balkans are victims of trafficking and at least 700,000 people, mostly women and children are trafficked each year across international borders. Girls as young as 13 from Asia and eastern Europe are trafficked as "mail-order brides".
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3203336a12,00.html

I don't know, in my opinion, abortion needs to be controlled, but not forbidden. If a girl gets raped and becomes pregnant, it is quite unreasonable to request that the girl raise the fatherless child.

So, is abortion a right? I would say it depends on the stage of the pregnancy. We can say a certain alcohol % in the blood constitutes drunk driving, why can't we say a certain % of newlife development constitutes a life of its own? The doctor would then have the ability to determine whether the abortion is legal or not. There's no need to be extreme on this issue...

i can only speak of my own situation;

me and my G/f have been going out for four years now...and two years ago we had a pregnancy scare. she told me and asked me what i thought;

now this can be very dangerous to answer anything less than truthfully!!!

i said that we weren't ready financially for a child and we were living in seperate cities. but ultimately the choice was hers.

we had the abortion and i almost ended up assualting a "pro life" protester outside the clinic who started yelling at my G/F saying she was a ***** and would go to hell. it is NEVER and easy option or choice. it isn't pleasent. and i would never wish to repeat it. but i was better for us to have a child when we're are ready for it so we can provide the best for it.

Hate to sound like a broken record on the subject, but why not keep the baby and put it up for adoption? I don't know if your country is in the same circumstance, but here in the states couples who can't have children the old fashioned way will spend YEARS waiting for a baby to adopt. My wife and I are one of those couples who will have to wait and hope.

I am sure it is not an easy decision to decide for the abortion. How could it be anything but incredibly unpleasant?

godofthunder9010 said:
Hate to sound like a broken record on the subject, but why not keep the baby and put it up for adoption? I don't know if your country is in the same circumstance, but here in the states couples who can't have children the old fashioned way will spend YEARS waiting for a baby to adopt. My wife and I are one of those couples who will have to wait and hope.

I am sure it is not an easy decision to decide for the abortion. How could it be anything but incredibly unpleasant?

no offence taken. well probably the reason is this;

my partner would've been going through the pregnancy without me there (finacially we were strapped; she studying, me starting my career)
she had no support her folks in saudi, her sisters scattered all over. and then with the adoption thing...there's always the child you "gave away". my heart goes out to your situation but it just wasn't an option for us right then.

I think it's important to discern that this is more of a "Bush administration" think can not a "U.S." thing.

The majority of Americans are in favor of abortion.

Whispering Death said:
I think it's important to discern that this is more of a "Bush administration" think can not a "U.S." thing.

i don't think i would go as far as a "majority"...we saw where that went with the election

Whispering Death said:

Actually, more Americans are against abortion. Will try to find the statistics for that, but I know I've seen it published.

godofthunder9010 said:
Whispering Death said:

Actually, more Americans are against abortion. Will try to find the statistics for that, but I know I've seen it published.

wording of the poll question is very important too though

True.

You could ask: "Do you believe that Abortion is abosutely wrong in all instances." and the No's will win it.

"Do you believe that abortion is right in all cases, if the mother chooses it?" and the No's will win that.

Personally I think that until men can become pregnant they have no place in making the decision. If any change is to be made regarding abortion it should only be the women of the world who vote on it. I think it wouldn't take a fortuneteller to guess what the vote would be.

Here's your stats:

A CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll revealed that over 70 percent of Americans think access to abortion should be limited to some circumstances.

The poll was based on phone interviews with 1,014 adults April 30-May 2. Responses indicated that:

16 percent of Americans think abortion should be illegal in all cases.

55 percent said abortions should be allowed only in cases of incest or to save the life of the mother.

27 percent said abortion should be allowed in all cases.

The poll also showed that the number of people who consider themselves "pro-choice" dropped from 56 percent three yrs ago to 48 percent today.

Those who considered themselves "pro-life" increased from 36 percent three yrs ago to 42 percent today."

Source: St. Anthony Messenger Magazine, July 1999

So the majority still do favor abortion though the gap has decreased.

chewie_nz said:
i don't think i would go as far as a "majority"...we saw where that went with the election

You're kidding me, you think abortion was even a factor in the 2004 election?

Terrorism, the Iraq War, PATRIOT Act, Gay Marriage, all that was just a wee bit more important to us than abortion.

Charge_7 said:
Personally I think that until men can become pregnant they have no place in making the decision. If any change is to be made regarding abortion it should only be the women of the world who vote on it. I think it wouldn't take a fortuneteller to guess what the vote would be.

Here's your stats:

A CNN/USA Today/Gallup Poll revealed that over 70 percent of Americans think access to abortion should be limited to some circumstances.

The poll was based on phone interviews with 1,014 adults April 30-May 2. Responses indicated that:

55 percent said abortions should be allowed only in cases of incest or to save the life of the mother.

The poll also showed that the number of people who consider themselves "pro-choice" dropped from 56 percent three yrs ago to 48 percent today.

Those who considered themselves "pro-life" increased from 36 percent three yrs ago to 42 percent today."

Source: St. Anthony Messenger Magazine, July 1999

So the majority still do favor abortion though the gap has decreased.

thanks for the figures charge...and i think you got it bang on with you first sentence there!
i have never liked those two terms "pro life" and "pro Choice"...it's like "pro kittens" or "pro Cookies". doesn't make any sense!

Whispering Death said:
chewie_nz said:

You're kidding me, you think abortion was even a factor in the 2004 election?

Terrorism, the Iraq War, PATRIOT Act, Gay Marriage, all that was just a wee bit more important to us than abortion.

the abortion issue has ALWAYS been a factor in the recent elections...but i'll let some one in the US field that one.

Charge_7 said:
Here's your stats:

I think that the those statistics tell a different tale, but the big key is the 55%. "Allowed only in cases of incest or to save the life of the mother" would not have given chewie_nz and his girlfriend the option for an abortion. I believe that very few sane people are going to advocate the hardcore "never under any circumstances" stand. That is just too extreme but apparently there is a sizable chunk of those in America, but that sounds nuts to me. My stance would be with the 55% with a slight modification: "Only in cases of rape, incest or when the mother's life is in danger." I would consider that to be an anti-abortion stance myself. If you lump everyone who believes abortion should be restricted only to special circumstances, you end up with 71% of Americans. That is a substantial majority.

Whether you call yourself Pro-Choice or Pro-Life might have very little to do with your actual beliefs on the subject. Silly buzzwords that sound pretty to certain people.

I think each country should have jurisdiction over this matter. After all, this is why we have countries! We set laws according to our local values and sentiments. Something that applies superbly in America can be completely out of place in Brunei.

I think the Americans should back out of this one.

I'm not going to say yay or nay, but I'm going to say that each country has its right to decide whether or not it is right or wrong.

Abortion played a role, but it fell under the "assault on Christianity" part of the campaign. The part that ultimately destroyed John Kerry's bid to be the President. It wasn't really abortion in itself.

I think each country should have jurisdiction over this matter. After all, this is why we have countries! We set laws according to our local values and sentiments. Something that applies superbly in America can be completely out of place in Brunei.

I think there is a greater chance of GWB stringing a coherent sentence together than there is of the world allowing him to dictate the worlds internal affairs (not a particually high percentage either way).

My assumption is that this is simply placating the religious nutjobs that voted him in, it will be roundly ignored by all and life will go on.

Back