US troops in Europe

FlyingFrog

I really don't think US still need to station troops in Europe.
I think it is a waste of money for US.

Europe (EU) can defend herself without any problem, btw there is NO threat towards Europe at all. Russia is NO more enemy of West Europe.

So question:
1. Should US pull out all its troops from Europe?

2. If not, why should US deploy troops in current Europe?

Thanks.

I'm all for it. Bringing our boys home is a better idea then leaving them in Europe where the threat is non-existant. While it might not have a profound economic impact on Europe when they leave, it will have a positive impact on local economies here at home when they do come back. They can spend their US dollars here in the US instead of in Europe.

We should probably keep them in Europe, Mostly for safty and defense reasons plus it gives us a stance in another part of the world.

plus it gives us a stance in another part of the world.

thats exactly why they are still there IMO.America (or any other country)will do that if they are to maintain their superpower status, presence in every part of the world.

Pfft, yank them out, just helping a bunch of euro pacifist with business.

Although we do use that as a "launch" zone. Not to mention the medical care there, lots of the wounded fellers go to Germany after fightin' in the sands.

Pfft, yank them out, just helping a bunch of euro pacifist with business
watch it blitzer,u really dont know how capable are we in solving military bussines,so please dont even try think that US is our "nanny",they are here only beacouse those countries need money,so they gave their basses on rent

The USA's strong presence in Europe used to have a good purpose. That purpose isn't really there anymore, but we remain committed to NATO and our other alliances. A token presence may be required to show our commitment, but heavy deployment is pointless for the time being. As far as I know, it is also nonexistent already.

I believe the way to go is by reducing the amount of US personell in Europe but maintaining bases and storage facilities in case of changed politics in the east.

USA as the strongest NATO member should be commited to Europe as long as the NATO organization is alive. However, on the other hand, if the political climate and the European Union planned battle groups can fill the gap of US soldiers then I do not see any reason for the US to be deployed.

why are they there? do troops stationed in europe recieve training they would not have otherwise have gotten back in the USA?
they are probably there in case a situation invovling americans occurs anywhere. by having thier troops stationed globally, it decreases the ammount of time taken for them to reach the incident scene. this is probably a good thing, although i know a lot of people object to troops beings stationed on foreign soil as they see them as an unwanted/unneccessary pressence

agreed
but think of it strategically form an american point of view. dispersing your troops around the globe means they have to travel less to get to an incident, which is a sensible strategy

however, i am lead to belive that americans stationed overseas are rather isolated from the community/people whose country they are in. ie they live in compounds and basically everything they need is in there, so they rarely leave. i dont think this is good as it would be good for them to go out into th community and, i dont know, put some of their money into the community by purchasing goods from them when they need them. this would help them also by creating an air of goodwill, as it would break down the "us and them" mentality

Snauhi said:
EU dont need US troops in Europe, because its no cold war threat and EU can handel it sefl

Exactly. To paraphrase Jack Nicholson.

When the USSR was a threat "You wanted us there. You Needed us there."

Now that we don't serve the purpose of protecting you. You don't.

So I'm all for pulling our assets and redeploying somewhere else. Give back the bases and let the E.U. member nations figure out how to revitalize all those cities that lose the revenue generated by U.S. FORCES.

Yes EU can handle itselfe without any questions *whistles innocent* - "US Get a hell out of here!" ;) Let the EU show its strong muscles on the world chessboard. And hope for a miracle that GB`s people wotes for leaving this EU nightmare. Then others will follow and even my own country would maby re-calculate. Back to the old system when people got work and different countrys actually could change political system. :lol:

Cheers:
Doc.S
:viking:

A good reason to keep them there is strategic reach.
It serves as a major medical center, supply point etc. for troops operating in the middle east. So bases in Europe are actually quite crucial, just for different reasons than from what were first intended.

A good reason to keep them there is strategic reach.
It serves as a major medical center, supply point etc. for troops operating in the middle east. So bases in Europe are actually quite crucial, just for different reasons than from what were first intended.
If ur treathened launch one of urs nukes and do the job,if u guys have something personal with russia,or korea,doesnt have to mean that we(europe) are the "no mans land"

Yeah you can handle your own business. You don't want us there I think we should leave.

But when you want our help you shouldn't get indignet when we refuse.

The people of Europe -- that's a bit of a problem I guess. Lotta people there love to hate America. On the other hand, the governments in charge have seen fit to maintain strong alliances with the USA and the people of Europe have seen fit to re-elect those governments. But everybody must understand that the USA stays or goes based on what the governments ask us to do. I think NATO provides an excellent means for R&D into modern military tech and its a lot more useful than the UN for taking decissive action.

"Lotta people there love to hate America."

That is in fashion but it wouldn't been taken too seriously.

What is the difference between hippies and commies? IMO they are the same.

I completely understand the reasons for stationing US forces there. Don't get me wrong. I also Understand that the goverments make the decision on National Security Issues.

But with the Anti American sentiments so prevelent in many countries in Europe, just once I'd like for the US to say okay bubye. Don't call us. We'll call you.

Yup. Good observation really.
Believe it or not, ideology and opinion make strong fashion statements. People want to be cool, to be admired and liked so they pick the ideology that's most popular.

EuroSpike said:
"Lotta people there love to hate America."

That is in fashion but it wouldn't been taken too seriously.

What is the difference between hippies and commies? IMO they are the same.

Back