US town bars foreign flags in swipe at immigrants

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...0_US-USA-IMMIGRATION-FLAGS.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

PHOENIX (Reuters) - A Nevada town passed a law this week making it illegal to fly a foreign nation's flag by itself, the latest swipe by a U.S. community at illegal immigrants.
The town council of Pahrump, which lies in the Mojave Desert west of Las Vegas, voted 3-2 on Tuesday to make flying any foreign flag above the U.S. flag or alone an offense punishable by a $50 fine and 30 hours' community service.
The meeting also pushed through measures to deny services to illegal immigrants and make English the official language in Pahrump, a commuter town of 40,000 residents some 60 miles (97 km) west of Las Vegas.
Supporters said they passed the measure to hit back at Hispanic demonstrators who carried Mexican flags when they marched in U.S. cities earlier this year to press for rights for 10 million to 12 million illegal immigrants living in the shadows.

"All of the illegal alien protesters are waving Mexican flags, and we just got tired of it," town board clerk Paul Willis told Reuters in a telephone interview.
"This is the United States, and the Stars and Stripes should fly supreme," he added.
Hispanic groups slammed the flag ordinance as a blow to first-amendment rights to free speech but thought it unlikely that the community would enforce it.
"It is clearly unconstitutional, but given that Pahrump that is such a small town, I don't think they are going to be hiring any flag police any time soon." said John Trasvina, the president and general counsel of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund.
In passing the bylaw, the town joined several other communities from California to Pennsylvania that have passed laws curbing illegal immigrants in recent months.
Among them are Escondido, in southern California, and Hazleton in Pennsylvania, where councilors barred landlords from renting to undocumented aliens and denied them access to services.
In Texas, where a third of the citizens are Hispanic, the Dallas suburb of Farmers Branch this week enacted laws fining landlords who rent to illegal immigrants and making English the official language.
Texas lawmakers preparing for the next legislative session in January filed bills this week to block state assistance to illegal immigrants and their children and to tax money transfers to Mexico, according to the bills.

I have been to Pahrump. If you ever have the chance to visit you should. It is the only way to truly understand this story.

They most definitely will enforce it. Pahrump is an entity unto itself and they don't bluff.

I hope not, there still is this thing called the 1st amendment.
They didnt say they couldn't fly the flag...They just said it couldnt be by itself...And I like the rule. We live in the United States...If you want to fly a Mexican flag, then go to Mexico.

It attracts refugees from Las Vegas and Los Angeles, and much of it is still the modest pioneer amalgam of mobile home, cinder block and crackerbox.
http://www.nevadaweb.com/cnt/pio/pahrump/

Those who spoke against the ordinance, including Romero and Lee Rowland, American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada staff attorney, were booed and heckled by a crowd heavily in favor of the ordinance. At least a handful of the men were wearing guns on their hips, as is legal under state law for owners of registered handguns in Nevada.
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2006/Nov-16-Thu-2006/news/10860904.html

Just an appetizer so y'all can get a "feel" for Pahrump, Nevada.

Pahrump is 99.9% white so they are preaching to the choir by passing this and from what I have read the people who opposed this ordinance were all from outside Pahrump soooooo... IMHO they need to :cen: off and worry about their own neighborhood and leave these folks to their own devices. I am honestly quite surprised they weren't tarred and feathered and then run out of town on a rail... literally.

John Trasvina needs to get a job as a Supreme Court Justice before he claims the new Law to be Unconstitutional.

One would think the President and General Counsel of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund would understand such, but seeing how he has Officially put Mexico before America perhaps he does not know much about American Law and the US Constitution.... perhaps he is thinking about the Mexican Constitution.
Regardless, I look forward to seeing the outcome of the Case, once the Case does make its way before the real United States Supreme Court for Judgment.

They didnt say they couldn't fly the flag...They just said it couldnt be by itself...And I like the rule. We live in the United States...If you want to fly a Mexican flag, then go to Mexico.

Thats putting restrictions on Free Speech, and thats a constitution no-no. Rabs is right, I seriously doubt that this will be upheld.

Pahrump is 100% ass kicking city. They are home to Frontsight. Frontsight is a tactical wepaons course that has had students such as US Navy Seals, FBI HRT, LAPD SWAT, and me.

It's my kind of town. It does not restrict the 1st Amendment. All it says is that if you wish to fly another country's flag. You have to fly the AMerican Flag also.

I do that. I fly my 13 star US Flag, below that on a seperate pole is a Cuban flag. As for the 13 star flag. That's y little way of protsting to the current federal government.

States' Rights!

Pahrump is 100% ass kicking city. They are home to Frontsight. Frontsight is a tactical wepaons course that has had students such as US Navy Seals, FBI HRT, LAPD SWAT, and me.

It's my kind of town. It does not restrict the 1st Amendment. All it says is that if you wish to fly another country's flag. You have to fly the AMerican Flag also.

I do that. I fly my 13 star US Flag, below that on a seperate pole is a Cuban flag. As for the 13 star flag. That's y little way of protsting to the current federal government.

States' Rights!

Well, I view flying a United States Flag with only 13 Stars in protest of the United States Government as no different than someone taking a United States Flag with the correct amount of Stars and setting it on fire in protest of the United States Government.

And Gator is making more friends I see.

Gator you're talking to a man who is a combat vet, did your job in Afghanistan without any training ( ;) ) and is now a copper in the fine state whose moniker you have lifted. Instead of pissing on everyone, why not take the time to get to know some people better before you write them off.

I've just gotta love them thar Pahrumpians. What a change to see a town where the people tell it like it is.

What a country, where "do gooders" tell you you cannot upset those who pay the ultimate disrespect to the country in which they are residing. Sheeesh, sometimes I wonder how the world got ahead before all this political correctness.

And Gator is making more friends I see.

Gator you're talking to a man who is a combat vet, did your job in Afghanistan without any training ( ;) ) and is now a copper in the fine state whose moniker you have lifted. Instead of pissing on everyone, why not take the time to get to know some people better before you write them off.

And how does that make his opinion any more valid than anyone elses?

As I understand it this thread isn't about operations in Afghanistan so his "expertise" is not really relevant and we already know by hie own admission that he is the sort of policeman that upholds the laws he sees as fit to recognise.

Also given our previous discussions on the relevance of judging peoples posts by their profile which is pretty much your MO I find it somewhat hypocritical to be recommending that people "take the time to get to know some people better before you write them off."

Incidently is a 13 star flag considered an official "American flag"?

Last edited:
Its about respect for a friend who I know by more than just a profile... besides whats the matter sweetie, you upset because you didn't read Padre's post correctly?? Come here give us a hug...awwww.

:lol:

Last edited:
Its about respect for a friend who I know by more than just a profile... besides whats the matter sweetie, you upset because you didn't read Padre's post correctly?? Come here give us a hug...awwww.

:lol:

See this is your problem you just lack credibility, rather than showing maturity and coming up with an intelligent response you come up with this rather childish response.

I am sure you can see why many see your posts as being little more than efforts to raise a post count, you rarely answer a question and tend towards inane responses (such as the one above) to counter the lack of one and when that fails you start threatening people (as if thats going to work).

As far as reading Padre's post I have to admit I only skimmed it but then I rarely take much notice of the guy as he seems to still be fighting the crusades and has a strange affinity for sheep (seriously how many people have sheep pictures on a computer).

Back