US town bars foreign flags in swipe at immigrants

--

November 17th, 2006  
Team Infidel

Topic: US town bars foreign flags in swipe at immigrants

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...src=rss&rpc=22

PHOENIX (Reuters) - A Nevada town passed a law this week making it illegal to fly a foreign nation's flag by itself, the latest swipe by a U.S. community at illegal immigrants.
The town council of Pahrump, which lies in the Mojave Desert west of Las Vegas, voted 3-2 on Tuesday to make flying any foreign flag above the U.S. flag or alone an offense punishable by a $50 fine and 30 hours' community service.
The meeting also pushed through measures to deny services to illegal immigrants and make English the official language in Pahrump, a commuter town of 40,000 residents some 60 miles (97 km) west of Las Vegas.
Supporters said they passed the measure to hit back at Hispanic demonstrators who carried Mexican flags when they marched in U.S. cities earlier this year to press for rights for 10 million to 12 million illegal immigrants living in the shadows.

"All of the illegal alien protesters are waving Mexican flags, and we just got tired of it," town board clerk Paul Willis told Reuters in a telephone interview.
"This is the United States, and the Stars and Stripes should fly supreme," he added.
Hispanic groups slammed the flag ordinance as a blow to first-amendment rights to free speech but thought it unlikely that the community would enforce it.
"It is clearly unconstitutional, but given that Pahrump that is such a small town, I don't think they are going to be hiring any flag police any time soon." said John Trasvina, the president and general counsel of the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund.
In passing the bylaw, the town joined several other communities from California to Pennsylvania that have passed laws curbing illegal immigrants in recent months.
Among them are Escondido, in southern California, and Hazleton in Pennsylvania, where councilors barred landlords from renting to undocumented aliens and denied them access to services.
In Texas, where a third of the citizens are Hispanic, the Dallas suburb of Farmers Branch this week enacted laws fining landlords who rent to illegal immigrants and making English the official language.
Texas lawmakers preparing for the next legislative session in January filed bills this week to block state assistance to illegal immigrants and their children and to tax money transfers to Mexico, according to the bills.
November 17th, 2006  
bulldogg

I have been to Pahrump. If you ever have the chance to visit you should. It is the only way to truly understand this story.
November 17th, 2006  
Team Infidel

do you think they will enforce it?
--
November 17th, 2006  
Rabs

I hope not, there still is this thing called the 1st amendment.
November 17th, 2006  
bulldogg

They most definitely will enforce it. Pahrump is an entity unto itself and they don't bluff.
November 17th, 2006  
Rob Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabs
I hope not, there still is this thing called the 1st amendment.
They didnt say they couldn't fly the flag...They just said it couldnt be by itself...And I like the rule. We live in the United States...If you want to fly a Mexican flag, then go to Mexico.
November 18th, 2006  
bulldogg

Quote:
It attracts refugees from Las Vegas and Los Angeles, and much of it is still the modest pioneer amalgam of mobile home, cinder block and crackerbox.
http://www.nevadaweb.com/cnt/pio/pahrump/

Quote:
Those who spoke against the ordinance, including Romero and Lee Rowland, American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada staff attorney, were booed and heckled by a crowd heavily in favor of the ordinance. At least a handful of the men were wearing guns on their hips, as is legal under state law for owners of registered handguns in Nevada.
http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho.../10860904.html

Just an appetizer so y'all can get a "feel" for Pahrump, Nevada.
November 21st, 2006  
tomtom22

Sounds like a good idea to me.
November 21st, 2006  
bulldogg

Pahrump is 99.9% white so they are preaching to the choir by passing this and from what I have read the people who opposed this ordinance were all from outside Pahrump soooooo... IMHO they need to off and worry about their own neighborhood and leave these folks to their own devices. I am honestly quite surprised they weren't tarred and feathered and then run out of town on a rail... literally.
November 21st, 2006  
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1Lt Henderson
They didnt say they couldn't fly the flag...They just said it couldnt be by itself...And I like the rule. We live in the United States...If you want to fly a Mexican flag, then go to Mexico.
I completely agree with you, man.