US torturing terror suspects? - Page 2

--

December 29th, 2004  
r031Button

I don't think every taliban soldier captured in Afganistan can be considered a terrorist. Now as for the actual, honest to god terrorists; they do warrant treatment under the Geneva convention; I was taught to act under the spirit of all Laws of Armed Conflict; not simply the letter.

However, I do realised I'm talking to people who have been there and done that; so my opinion isn't quite as valid as theirs are, for obvious reasons.
December 29th, 2004  
03USMC

I will agree that those taken during combat with a military force should be treated as EPW's.

However if it is found that they planned or carried out attacks against Civilian targets. Then all bets should be off.

Soliders do not make war on civilians. Terrorists do. So IMO terrorists should not reap the benefits accorded to legitimate combatants.
December 29th, 2004  
r031Button

I'll have to agree with you on that. However, I would think that these terrorist would be treated in the same way as the Oklahoma state bomber (did I get that right?). From my understanding he was sentenced to death, through a criminal court; not through some other means.
--
December 29th, 2004  
03USMC

Okay I can go with that. But is it allowable for the US to return a terrorist to a country who's laws have stiffer penalties for such crimes. As most Islamic States do?
I think it is. Just as Canada will not extridite persons facing death penelty cases, maybe we should it allow it.
December 30th, 2004  
r031Button

The Canadian immigration board has no idea of what it's own policies are. We just sent a women back to Iran where she's facing jail time for a student protest. She had been meaningfully employed and invovled int he community. This is also after the Iranian killed a Canadian reporter and have refused to send us the body or do an autopsy . Meanwhile American deserters, soldier having volunteered for their posts, are allowed to stay...

Personally, I don't have a problem with them being shipped back home, hopefully it can show their countrymen that it's not worth it. I do have a problem with places like Guantonamo Bay were people are held with out charge for years.
December 30th, 2004  
Missileer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie_nz
devils advocate time;

these people think that they're fighting against crusaders in their homeland. defending the isalmic faith etc.

in WW2 they would've been called partisans or the risistance. but here they are called insurgents or terrorists. is this right?

i think terrorists are the ones that bomb civilian aircraft, public places etc. when it come to fighting the US occupation forces they seem to be using what little weapons the have and engaging police or military targets (for the most part)
They aren't even terrorists, that's way too noble. Because they have no regard for Human life, including their own innocent countrymen, the very least they can be called are murderers. When you trigger a car bomb in your own neighborhood you know a lot of innocents are going to die. They have appointed themselves as judge, jury, and executioner. In America, that will get you a long drop at the end of a short rope.
December 30th, 2004  
Jason Bourne

oh boo hoo, someone MAY have tortured a few terrorists, hmm i bet the terrorists would never do that to anyone(saracasm and a whole lot of it).

those people(i use "people" lightly) deserve every thing that they get and the damn ACLU needs to quit whining because i don't think they would get a hug from osama if he met them.
December 30th, 2004  
chewie_nz

once again i feel that someone needs to say.

why do we need to go down to that level. i don't hear anyone owning up to torturing nazi party members?

aren't you just giving them a reason to continue their struggle. you win these struggles by building hospitals and school. not by torturing people. and esp not by setting the wrong example for this middle eastern experiment in democracy
December 30th, 2004  
Guaripa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie_nz
once again i feel that someone needs to say.

why do we need to go down to that level. i don't hear anyone owning up to torturing nazi party members?

aren't you just giving them a reason to continue their struggle. you win these struggles by building hospitals and school. not by torturing people. and esp not by setting the wrong example for this middle eastern experiment in democracy
The Allied in WWII did own the touturing of Germans, however the answer I believe is in two quotes.

"America has no friends , only interests" (Clinton)

Example, (IMO) invade and conquer for Oil, stand by do nothing during mass killings in Africa

"Those who would give up essential liberty for temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (B. Franklin)

Example, The Patriot Act, if you read the text you would understand.

The days of getting down to their level has not been around since the high days of the Peace Corp.

First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me
and there was no one left
to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller

I think is happening again, just replace some of the names.

Also Read
Crimes and Mercies: The Fate Of German Civilians Under Allied Occupation, 1944-1950 by James Bacque

A Terrible Revenge : The Ethnic Cleansing of the East European Germans
by Alfred-Maurice de Zayas

Other Losses
by James Bacque
December 30th, 2004  
devilwasp

Torture seems a fitting punishment but does that mean we must lower ourselves to thier level?

No! No i say , we should rise above that and no matter what they may do we must show we are better and we will not be brought back down to that kind of fighting.