US soldier kills Afghan civilians in Kandahar

perseus

At least there is no doubt about this one, I wonder if he will get off with slap legs?

A US soldier in Afghanistan has shot dead 15 civilians and wounded others after entering their homes in Kandahar province, Afghan and Nato sources say.

He reportedly left his base early in the morning to attack village homes. Nine children are among the dead

Continue reading the main story

Hey they will throw the book at him, I wouldn't be surprised if this guys loses 6 months pay.

At least there is no doubt about this one, I wonder if he will get off with slap legs?

A US soldier in Afghanistan has shot dead 15 civilians and wounded others after entering their homes in Kandahar province, Afghan and Nato sources say.

He reportedly left his base early in the morning to attack village homes. Nine children are among the dead

Continue reading the main story

The least this guy should get is a life sentence.... It sounds like he was fully aware of what he was doing. Can't be claimed as insanity right? He deliberately went out and killed civilians.. If he get anything less than a life sentence, I will be surprised. Unlike the Haditha's there was no fighting happening for it to be claimed as an accident or a troops gone insane (while in combat) type of argument.

This guy should be made an example of... Can someone familiar with Afghanistan tell me why this guy was able to go out of a base and murder this many people? Shouldn't he have been with another person? Also... why did it take for him to come back and admit it himself for someone to realize?

The least this guy should get is a life sentence.... It sounds like he was fully aware of what he was doing. Can't be claimed as insanity right? He deliberately went out and killed civilians.. If he get anything less than a life sentence, I will be surprised. Unlike the Haditha's there was no fighting happening for it to be claimed as an accident or a troops gone insane (while in combat) type of argument.

This guy should be made an example of... Can someone familiar with Afghanistan tell me why this guy was able to go out of a base and murder this many people? Shouldn't he have been with another person? Also... why did it take for him to come back and admit it himself for someone to realize?

Sorry ...

IF this guy isn't tried by civilian authorities, then he should be tried by a military court-martial for capital crimes .. and, if convicted, then he should be executed in accordance with the findings of a court-martial in a combat zone. The last WWII soldier that was found guilty and an execution was carried out .. the soldier was hung (Eddie Slovik). I don't know of any other soldier who was hanged since then. As far as US soldiers who have been found guilty of capital crimes in the 70s, 80s or 90s .. I am sure there have to have been some .. but ..who they were and whether the sentence was carried out ... your guess is as good as mine.

I am not surprised. First true incident of its kind. If anything I am surprised it hasn't happened more often considering the amount of troops rotated through.

Sad that it happened and it is sad that the system failed in not identifying this guy as a threat.

You're a laugh a freakin minute ain't ya?

Which bit do you find funny, the bit where I recalled previous incidents and rulings or is it more a nervous laugh like the type you get when you can't refute comment made?

Nope, I dont think they would. Unless their memories are also blinded by an agenda. This is the first instance that I am aware of where an individual has gone rogue and inflicted civilian casualties. This is the first time I am aware of civilians being killed in an incident entirely separate from an operational situation.

The event you have in mind and this one are completely different in every aspect.

I am not surprised. First true incident of its kind. If anything I am surprised it hasn't happened more often considering the amount of troops rotated through.

Sad that it happened and it is sad that the system failed in not identifying this guy as a threat.
I'd say he's good case for serious psychiatric evaluation, and there's nothing to say that "the system" would/could have picked him up earlier.

Personally, I'd say he just snapped. War does that to individuals, and it's a wonder it doesn't happen more often.

I'm going to reserve my judgment until a lot more is known.

That could be true but there would have been signs of some kind but whether or not they could be picked up is another matter.

My local greengrocer is from Afghanistan.

I asked him how felt about this and his response was:

This is an act of a man without honor. A man without shadow. God be merciful to his black soul. I just hope that there are some who are given the opportunity to piss on his corpse. He made ​​his bed - now lie in it.

Well, I do not blame him :cry:

My local greengrocer is from Afghanistan.

I asked him how felt about this and his response was:

This is an act of a man without honor. A man without shadow. God be merciful to his black soul. I just hope that there are some who are given the opportunity to piss on his corpse. He made ​​his bed - now lie in it.

Well, I do not blame him :cry:
How I'd probably react if I was Afghan.

Sometimes I wish for the swift "old school" justice that was around in the Wild West. An event like this would take all of 3 days to try convict and administer the sentence.

The news is reporting the Staff Sergeant had a brain injury in 2010. If so the sentence will be a lot different.

The political war in Afghanistan does not go well.

I could see the implications of this being very bad for future US operations, possibly catastrophic on the hearts and minds front. I think a stray JDAM hitting the center of the city would have blown over far smoother than this will.

Last edited:
Back