US ship, choppers, shadow hostage captain, pirates (AP)

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
AP - U.S. warships and helicopters stalked a lifeboat holding an American sea captain and his four Somali captors Sunday, while his crew briefed FBI agents about how they fought off the pirates who boarded their ship.

More...

Confused

Sorry all but couldn't some USN Seals pop up during the night and pop these guys in the lifeboat?

But Nur said satellite phone calls with the pirates had not established the position of the boat: "We do not know where exactly the boat is."
Is this possible?

Three U.S. warships were within easy reach of the lifeboat on Saturday, but fears of endangering Phillips' life limit their ability to use their overwhelming firepower.
This is why I'm confused how did they lose the lifeboat with three ships right there? Some of the pirate have to sleep right couldn't they be taken out by Seals? If this lifeboat reaches shore the Captains chances of survival go way down

Can somebody explain the tactical side of this that I'm not seeing in why force isn't being used, unless it may help the bad guys holding him.

Thanks

I think the problem is, that we only know what the News feeds are putting out. Only those on the spot can really appreciate the facts of what is going on.

If what we read is true, all that needs doing is for one of the vessels to go alongside the lifeboat and let the pirates know that they are being pushed further out to sea and their only hope of survival is to surrender the captain. Anything else, and they will die. If no answer, drop some CS into the lifeboat.

What is done with them after that is anyone's business.

Thanks guys
You have a point about the news feeds we only see what little is shown. I like the idea of pushing them out further.
icon14.gif

I don't know what laws would be broken if some hostage taking pirates were killed.
icon5.gif

The " not creative enough" is interesting and hope good things maybe brewing
icon14.gif

I still think any pirate boat that fires on any ship and the ship that came under fire can say 'that boat fired on us" should be sunk period. Less pirate need to make it back to their villages, being driven off isn't good enough. I think a better job at finding a few of these "mother ships" need to be done. These little boat don't operate 400/500/600 miles from shore without some sort of help. Better monitoring of radio/cell phones is needed these pirate much communicate with each other on some levels while searching for ships to rip off right?

The pirates hold the Captain hostage.
The pirates say the will kill him if attacked.
Any type of rescue attempt could end as the French sailboat rescue. Pirates captured, all but one hostage rescued, one hostage killed.
Sort of like saying, "the operation was a success, but the patient died."

Because they attacked an American ship and it is the American navy and they are in International I believe maritime law would allow the Navy ships to blow the pirates out of the water. Not to good for the American Captain.

Same for other countries, ship belongs to country, country in International waters can deal with the pirates as they see fit. Like what the French did. But the object is to get the Captain back alive.

I think the French did the best they could. The scenarios are different, more hostages.

The French probably made the same decision as the Americans, that the hostages were in imminent danger and they needed to act. It just shows why these actions have to be rewritten for movies. Can't show days of waiting and patience and 3 seconds of action.

Back