Us ship almost crashed

Britsoldier

I came accros this one when i was studying history at school, i cant remember exact quotes but i will give you the jist, the conversation is between a US navy ship and a canadian vessel.

USN: This is USS???? we see you on radar please identify yourself.
CAN: This is ??? we are Canadian, welcome to Canadian waters.
USN: We are on a direct collision course please change your heading 80 degrees east.
CAN: Negative you change your heading 80 degrees west
USN: We are USS??? the largest Naval ship in the world do you know how hard to change course that quickely is?, YOU change your course 80 degrees east.
CAN: We are a lighthouse (short pause) Your call.

Re: OK

Britsoldier said:
Maybe thats whyt it is funny?? because the navy did not realise it was a lighthouse.
I mean the equipment on a modern navy ship would clearly destinct between a moving and a non-moving object.

1217 said:
I mean the equipment on a modern navy ship would clearly destinct between a moving and a non-moving object.

What about a ship that's engines are off?

Recce said:
1217 said:

What about a ship that's engines are off?
They wouldn't ask a non moving vessel to "change course" now would they?

SHOULD HAVE KEPT QUIET

I wish i had never posted this now, if this is true you obviously can't accept it, and if its a joke you could just accept it as a funny joke rather than disecting it!.

Re: SHOULD HAVE KEPT QUIET

Britsoldier said:
I wish i had never posted this now, if this is true you obviously can't accept it, and if its a joke you could just accept it as a funny joke rather than disecting it!.

:lol:

It is a funny joke!

But a lot of people think it's true, several people searches for this story everyday, and ends up here..
http://www.military-quotes.com/jokes/stories.htm

And many has sent it to me on e-mail, as a true military story..

Back