US political ad mistakenly shows German troops

perseus

A North Carolina state legislator says he supports the military, but a flyer prepared by his campaign could lead some to question which country's.
Democrat Tim Spear's campaign has apologised after inadvertently sending voters a leaflet showing actors in World War II-era German uniforms

The flyer read: "In combat, you always want another soldier covering your back."

_49684887_xi09iawo.gif

That's embarrasing. :oops: Hopefully his opponent won't try to compare him to Hitler. Wouldn't put it past the GOP though.

Definitely.
There was also another poster here for the Potomac College or something of that nature saying they were geared towards military students. The poster featured a soldier wearing a British desert combat uniform.

How could you make such a mistake? Ok, they're facing the other way and the camo could be mistaken for American's in the pacific but just look at the helmets and I suppose their posture. Doesn't look very much like Americans. Either somebody doesn't know their history or they had a train to catch and copy and pasted anything that would look good!

It would not be a problem for this type of mistake. It is why you are required to proof advertisement and sign off on it. After you do that you pay for the ad, even if mistakes are found later.

People in advertising are not necessarily "into military stuff" and just used some file footage.

This ad leaves the politician with egg on his face and the advertising company paid, but not likely to get repeat business.

The gun that the far right soldier is holding looks like a Karabiner, though I can't tell what kind of model. Also, the same soldier's upper clothing is definitely not German

The gun that the far right soldier is holding looks like a Karabiner, though I can't tell what kind of model. Also, the same soldier's upper clothing is definitely not German

What the camo clothing? Oh no, the Germans did wear that. Can't remember how common it was but it was worn.

Come on!

Tim Spear surely did not elect the pic (which is definitely NOT original WWII German, check the helmets, I would guess German re-enactors), you contract an agency, they look for the pic that best meets the proposed message (and this pic does, IMHO), and then this is one of the solutions you get.

The capture phrase did not at all specifically state that "in combat you always want an US SOLDIER covering your back" but more the general take we all ex or current solds from whatever nation can share and subscribe to, i.e. the message essentally tells the truth as we understand it (*I* like the pic, and it has nothing to do specifically with being German, would they be Russian grunts it would be ok all along from my POV and still delivering the same msg with the same significance).

What a sad situation where media and people shoot for all the wrong reasons (like for once stating the truth, e.g.) at a politician who did not even personally chose the pic but was ok on the message (shoot at him where he deserves it! Why here?).

Come on!? Get a grip !!

FWIW,

Rattler

EDIT: Now found the pic (as the thingy gets deleted by this forum even with code tags wrapped around it, here in plain text, and the plain text parts italicalized: http:-double slash-i.ytimg-dot-com/Qegp0UK3xMs-slash-2-dot-jpg), the title states it clearly: “Re-enactors dressed as German soldiers advance towards the enemy. Taken at the War and Peace show 08.”

Last edited:
What is it with Nazi troops this election year??? The SS running for office somewhere or something?

Last edited:
What is it with Nazi troops this election year??? The SS running for office somewhere or something?
Not that I have heard of anything special, but at the basement they always were and always are and allways will be, and we even stand up to grant them this right they plan to abolish first thing once they make it to office.

As for the helmets, an (ex) US soldier might easily get confused, in the 1980s they copied the WWII stlye German "Stahlhelm" (steel helmet) albeit by using Kevlar:

It was only five years ago that the ACH began to replace the former PASGAT on a wide scale. The ACH completely replaced all the 1980s era PASGT (Personnel Armor System for Ground Troops) helmets three years ago. The Kevlar PASGT design was a third generation combat helmet, nicknamed the "Fritz" after its resemblance to the German helmets used in both World Wars. That German World War I design, which was based on an analysis of where troops were being hit by fragments and bullets in combat, was the most successful combat helmet in both world wars. This basic design was finally adopted by many other nations, after the American PASGT helmet appeared in the 1980s.
From (and read more about) US and German helmets history at: http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htinf/articles/20100402.aspx

FWIW,

Rattler

Last edited:
Back