US Navy - Physical Fittness and Body Composition

Mack

Hello all,

I have been recently investigating the US Navy Direct Officer Appointment Program as it pertains to the Naval Intelligence Reserve. I had two questions about the body composition standards:

(1) when would I be measured - prior to my appointment or upon arrival at the DOA training in Pensacola (which is undertaken within one year of being commissioned)

(2) is the Navy _only_ using the tape test? I have a an odd body shape that makes it hard for me to pass that test - by way of example, I'm 5'9", weigh 210, have 174 pounds of lean muscle mass and body fat of 17%. However, I'm still three inches too big around the belly for the tape measure. I will _never_ meet the weight standards alone (I'd have to have near 5% body fat, which is completely unrealistic for most anyone), and I'm at least 4% under the requirement by two different methods, but I still fail the tape test. Any advice?

Mack said:
I have been recently investigating the US Navy Direct Officer Appointment
(2) is the Navy _only_ using the tape test? I have a an odd body shape that makes it hard for me to pass that test - by way of example, I'm 5'9", weigh 210, have 174 pounds of lean muscle mass and body fat of 17%. However, I'm still three inches too big around the belly for the tape measure. I will _never_ meet the weight standards alone (I'd have to have near 5% body fat, which is completely unrealistic for most anyone), and I'm at least 4% under the requirement by two different methods, but I still fail the tape test. Any advice?

How did you measure your BF%? At 5'10" I was always on the edge at 195#, but made the BF% by the measurement method used in the Corps.

BTW: THe Navy and Corps use the same BF% estimation method and it can be found at: http://usmilitary.about.com/gi/dyna...p://neds.nebt.daps.mil/Directives/6110_1g.pdf

Back