US Navy - Physical Fittness and Body Composition

--

July 29th, 2004  
Mack

Topic: US Navy - Physical Fittness and Body Composition

Hello all,

I have been recently investigating the US Navy Direct Officer Appointment Program as it pertains to the Naval Intelligence Reserve. I had two questions about the body composition standards:

(1) when would I be measured - prior to my appointment or upon arrival at the DOA training in Pensacola (which is undertaken within one year of being commissioned)

(2) is the Navy _only_ using the tape test? I have a an odd body shape that makes it hard for me to pass that test - by way of example, I'm 5'9", weigh 210, have 174 pounds of lean muscle mass and body fat of 17%. However, I'm still three inches too big around the belly for the tape measure. I will _never_ meet the weight standards alone (I'd have to have near 5% body fat, which is completely unrealistic for most anyone), and I'm at least 4% under the requirement by two different methods, but I still fail the tape test. Any advice?
August 11th, 2004  
silent driller

Do lots of flutter kicks.

...or suck in your gut when they measure you
August 12th, 2004  
Lil Hulk 1988

Topic: Re: US Navy - Physical Fittness and Body Composition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
I have been recently investigating the US Navy Direct Officer Appointment
(2) is the Navy _only_ using the tape test? I have a an odd body shape that makes it hard for me to pass that test - by way of example, I'm 5'9", weigh 210, have 174 pounds of lean muscle mass and body fat of 17%. However, I'm still three inches too big around the belly for the tape measure. I will _never_ meet the weight standards alone (I'd have to have near 5% body fat, which is completely unrealistic for most anyone), and I'm at least 4% under the requirement by two different methods, but I still fail the tape test. Any advice?
How did you measure your BF%? At 5'10" I was always on the edge at 195#, but made the BF% by the measurement method used in the Corps.

BTW: THe Navy and Corps use the same BF% estimation method and it can be found at: http://usmilitary.about.com/gi/dynam.../6110%5F1g.pdf
--