US Navy Downsizing

Darcia said:
But the quater million doller peice of steal is a whole lot cooler looking.
Good point, fighter jet looks vs rifle looks........

Well the US doesnt really need a navy that large does it?
I mean you could have a powerful medium sized force compared to an insanely large powerful force.

DTop said:
I've seen the military use methods such as tightening the physical requirements

Interesting because the USMC just changed the requirements effective Jan 1 2005 for entering into Recruit Training to:
2 pullups
50 sit-ups
13 minutes for 1.5 miles

would this be the reason?

Kane said:
2 pullups, that's it????

the main thing that changed was the run time and the sit ups. this is what you have to do before you can even START training. and trust me... after 13 weeks of Parris Island (or San Diego) MRTD you'll be able to do more than the minimum!

implicature said:
DTop said:

Interesting because the USMC just changed the requirements effective Jan 1 2005 for entering into Recruit Training to:
2 pullups
50 sit-ups
13 minutes for 1.5 miles

Looks to me like they dropped the number of Pull ups from 3 and added an extra minute to the run if this is the IST.

03USMC said:
implicature said:
DTop said:

2 pullups
50 sit-ups
13 minutes for 1.5 miles

Looks to me like they dropped the number of Pull ups from 3 and added an extra minute to the run if this is the IST.

according to about.com
About.com said:
MEN
2 Pull Ups
35 Sit Ups (2 minutes)
1.5 Mile Run - 13:30

and when i started talking with my recruiter during 2004 it was
2 Pull Ups
45 Sit Ups
1.5 Mile Run - 13:30

now i don't know how this checks out with what you have 03 but this is what i was told.
:eek:fftopic:

Speaking of IST's i took my FIRST OFFICIAL IST on saturday! i am PROUD to reprot that on my first unofficial IST i ran a 13:45 1.5 did 48 situps and 7 pullups. on Saturday i did a 12:01 1.5 and 78 Sit ups and 77 pullups!!! i felt AWESOME!!!

I did remember it was orignally 3. My Uncle was a former Marine and yet he exagerrated it was 5.

Downsizing the United States Navy won't be a big deal since we still have the best capabilities and tech. Our Ohio class subs and carriers are still top notch.

Back