Is the US moving away from oil? - Page 2

--
Boots

November 11th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

along with those changes, comes big changes in our society and the way we do things. I wonder what changes will come when we move away from oil as a main source of energy?
November 11th, 2004  
Hegario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doody
For now, Americans are still driving trucks and SUV's in record numbers. So $2.14 a gallon is not high enough...if you know what I mean. If gas was $3.50 a gallon, things may start to change.
To quote Dennis Miller, a Hummvee squeezing through the jungles of Borneo is a tool. A Hummvee squeezing to a mall parking lot is being driven by a tool.

I pay 1.15 for a liter of gas.
November 11th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegario
I pay 1.15 for a liter of gas.
See we, as Americans, have been blessed with low gas prices since World War II. Europe was devastated by war and had to endure gasoline shortages. So the European society learned to live with high gas prices. Most European cars are much more efficient than American cars. While Europe was experiencing the gas crunch, America was being fueled by Texas. We got use to low gas prices and our society developed as such. Today, the US is starting to feel the pains that Europe experienced in World War II.

I agree. There is no need for a Hummer on the streets of a city
--
Boots
November 11th, 2004  
egoz

Japan and the US are both doing a pretty decent job as far as alternative fuel research goes for their cars. Japan and the US has also already developed race cars that use alternative fuels. The faster ones are hybrids. But I wouldn't be surprised that if in the near future we have supercars that don't use fossil fuels.

I'm all for moving away from oil. There are estimates that oil in the middle east will only be there for 200 years or so (estimates go higher and lower depending on who does it). It might seem long for us, since none of us will be around. But that's a short amount of time if we want to convert our entire society to something else.
November 12th, 2004  
A Can of Man

What's that oil alternative again? It's some kind of sludge... agh I can't remember.
Either way this is a step in the right direction.
January 13th, 2005  
Duty Honor Country

I found this article on the news wire that is related to hydrogen, It seems Isleand wants to be "oil free" by 2050.

Iceland's Hydrogen Buses Zip to Oil-Free Economy

By Alister Doyle, Environment Correspondent

REYKJAVIK, Iceland (Reuters) - Hydrogen, tested in buses from Amsterdam to Vancouver and used in the rockets of the U.S. space shuttle, is a clean power that promises to break dependence on oil and gas -- at least in Iceland.

"Sometimes I have to explain to passengers that it's just water vapor," the driver said of white clouds trailing after his bus along the streets of the capital, Reykjavik. "When it's very cold there's a lot of white steam."

With almost unlimited geothermal energy sizzling beneath its surface, Iceland has an official goal of making the country oil-free by shifting cars, buses, trucks and ships over to hydrogen by about 2050.

By then, in theory, the only oil used on the volcanic North Atlantic island will be in planes visiting Reykjavik airport.

Other countries, such as the United States, where President Bush is a strong backer of hydrogen, face a far tougher path.

READ MORE