is US military over extended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, Guys, yesterday I heard the debate about US draft, I DONOT belive he is telling that US won't have draft, cause the war in Iraq has shown already American donot have enough soldiers..... and I also soon found this news by searching internet ("Internets?" :lol: ), Is that a kind of "draft?" in USAtoday report?
And if US is going to have war with Iran very soon, I donot see American can handle this at all, not even mention if NK begin to do something by the time :lol:
Guess some people in this forum will hvae to post information from Iran, let's guess who will be the lucky guy?

/************************************/
original news source:
usatoday.com
Date: 1/5/2004
WASHINGTON — The Army will announce as early as Tuesday new orders that will forbid thousands of soldiers from leaving the service after they return this year from Iraq, Afghanistan and other fronts in the war against terrorism, defense officials said Monday. The "stop loss" orders mean personnel who could otherwise leave the military when their volunteer commitments expire will be forced to remain to the end of their overseas deployments and up to another 90 days after they come home. "Stop movement" orders also bar soldiers from moving to new assignments during the restricted period. The orders do not extend any unit's stay overseas

Whoswar, my beliefe that you have a very dangerous agenda keeps bugging me...Are you an agent for some sort of Irani or NK "information minestery"? ;)
Just kidding
:D

Now, as to the matter, the US will have to draft if both the Iranis and NK go to war at the same time, but that is unlikely to happen. Also, the US already has a force in Korea, and the South Koreans can handle them selves....The Iranis wont just attack...This war will go down only if the USA decides to make it go down.

We have to continue to win support and rebuff the rebels if we are to bring peace to Iraq; if we have to start conscripting American soldiers, we might as well just pull out of the country. Conscripts simply don’t have the discipline to work in this fragile situation. If they don’t go AWOL, they might lose their minds and kill innocents. Combat does this to a man, and if one doesn’t want to be a soldier, he is more likely to “lose it.” We will not have a draft because we do not need more American soldiers on the ground, we need more Iraqis to sign up to defeat or disarm the rebels. If we cannot get this support, the mission is ultimately doomed no matter how many U.S. soldiers we send in.

Now, on to the main topic of the U.S. military “overextending” itself:
We have the capability to comfortably execute two wars at the same time. Taking on North Korea and Iran shouldn’t necessitate a draft either. Firstly, the ROK is capable of defending herself alone but we can supplement a modest amount of troops, air force and navy. We have plenty of freed-up BFVs and MBTs that tend to be a liability in city warfare (Iraq peacekeeping), and we can use these along with our air force to flatten Iran or North Korea's army. We don’t have to go in and occupy Iran and North Korea as we did Iraq; all we have to do is eliminate their major means of producing NBCs.

ravensword227 said:
we need more Iraqis to sign up to defeat or disarm the rebels.

Are they fully trusted? Can they be fully trusted? I just feel recent increasing attack must be linked with some of these Iraq soldiers. Donot forget, American is inanother country with total different belief. The Iraq soldiers who work with American face extreme pressure, the only reason to keep them working together is just the payment.

ravensword227 said:
Now, on to the main topic of the U.S. military “overextending” itself:
We have the capability to comfortably execute two wars at the same time. Taking on North Korea and Iran shouldn’t necessitate a draft either.

Any example? Everybody see Iraq itself is making US extremely tired already, remember: winning batter is not equal to winning war---you seems did nnot get this basic rules which was written thousands years ago as textbook for generals.
Wanna handle Iran or NK sametime? give me a break. Rumsfeld has taken back his words long time ago.

Good point raven, occupying isn't, or shouldn't be the goal in a war with either Iran or North Korea. I think we can all agree that they would be much worse than Iraq.

Another good point is our success in Iraq depends mostly on the Iraqi's themselves, whether or not they succumb to terror and their tricks.

The draft will only happen if the situation is dire, I'm talking life or death, World War dire. It would be insanity to throw drafties into a Guarilla war.

Quote:
Reservist and citizen-soldiers stand ready, in every free nation, to stand to the colors and die in holocaust, the big war. Reservist and citizen-soldiers reamin utterly reluctant to stand and die in anything less... The man who will go where his colors go, without asking, who will fight a phantom foe in the jugle and mountain range, without counting, and who will suffer and die in the midst of incredible hardship, without complaint, is still what he has always been, from Imperial Rome to sceptered Britian to democratic America. He is the stuff of which legions are made.

Chocobo_Blitzer said:
The draft will only happen if the situation is dire, I'm talking life or death, World War dire. It would be insanity to throw drafties into a Guarilla war.

The draft only happen when Bush begin to make draft for himself, how is that? ;)

whosewar2000 said:
Are they fully trusted? Can they be fully trusted? I just feel recent increasing attack must be linked with some of these Iraq soldiers. Donot forget, American is inanother country with total different belief. The Iraq soldiers who work with American face extreme pressure, the only reason to keep them working together is just the payment.

I don’t know if they can be fully trusted because I have not been over there. I do know that we used the 87 billion not only to equip our troops, but to also equip the new Iraqi army with the best equipment money can buy. I must admit that I, as an optimist on this war, was amazed at the pictures of the new Iraq army decked out in IBA that a lot of European countries don’t even have. I think the Iraqis are realizing more and more that while the U.S. is trying to rebuild, the terrorist are killing more innocent Iraqis. It’s like for every 1 soldier the terrorist kill, they also kill 10 of their own people. Who is more evil, the soldiers handing out candy to the children, or the “freedom fighters” that blow thirty of them up? The Iraqi people see the real evil and they have all the support they need to combat it – all they have to do is stand up and fight.

whosewar2000 said:
Any example? Everybody see Iraq itself is making US extremely tired already, remember: winning batter is not equal to winning war---you seems did nnot get this basic rules which was written thousands years ago as textbook for generals.
Wanna handle Iran or NK sametime? give me a break. Rumsfeld has taken back his words long time ago.

Everybody was wrong about the capability of the U.S. Army in the first Gulf War. Even our own soldiers expected to take many hundreds, if not thousands of casualties just to break the back of Saddam’s army. The bulk of our Armor is no longer in Iraq because it is a liability when the enemy can burry a remote detonated 500lbs bomb at every street corner. We do not need the full compliment of the air force just to take out a mob of rebels. Again I state: we need the Iraqis to stand up and fight for themselves. History shows that an outside power cannot bring democracy to a country. As of now we have made Israel, if not America and the world more secure by taking out Saddam Hussein.

Just set back and enjoy the show because I promise that we are far from finished with our job.

Let me tell u a quick little thing.....

A few days Congress had to vote on a bill that would make all able American citizens to do mandatory govermental services such as military for 2 years between the ages of 18-26.... (I'm not joking my Government teacher told me about this and she isn't joking).. The bill wasn't passed and only 2 people voted for it and another 400 or something voted against it.

They always have things like that floating around. Of course they die. Now you know for sure though. The idea of imposing a draft to solve the over extention problem is unpopular even in the government.

AsianAmerican said:

A few days Congress had to vote on a bill that would make all able American citizens to do mandatory govermental services such as military for 2 years between the ages of 18-26.... (I'm not joking my Government teacher told me about this and she isn't joking).. The bill wasn't passed and only 2 people voted for it and another 400 or something voted against it.

Yes..... and we should panic because..... of 2 people?

AsianAmerican said:

THE REASON man, THE REASON it was put up was to SEND THE MESSAGE to the AMERICAN PEOPLE that the DRAFT would NOT be REINSTATED. I CAN'T BELIVE YOUR TEACHER MISSED THAT. :cen:

Bush and his people got tired of being accused of wanting to reinstate the draft so he said ":cen:" it, and put up the bill just to show just how unpopular it was. Already people are misconstruing this. :x

Chocobo_Blitzer said:
AsianAmerican said:

Yes..... and we should panic because..... of 2 people?

who are these two, by the way? some southern cowboys? ;)
just kidding

why are u guys going crazy. i just told u a little story its not like i want the draft chill :lol:... She was just telling us some news thats all

so........you guys think those soldiers shall stay there until they die?
and this is fair for them?

shall you guys standup and buy the tickets flight there to help your buddies?

somebody else just said "stay calm and enjoy the show" sounds even less patriotic than a mexican forienger who work less paid job in US

AsianAmerican said:
why are u guys going crazy. i just told u a little story its not like i want the draft chill :lol:... She was just telling us some news thats all

Get it straight: The purpose of the bill was to show the people that there is a snow balls chance of the draft coming back.

I hate it when people continue to perpetuate the fear of the draft.

whosewar2000 said:
so........you guys think those soldiers shall stay there until they die?
and this is fair for them?

shall you guys standup and buy the tickets flight there to help your buddies?

somebody else just said "stay calm and enjoy the show" sounds even less patriotic than a mexican forienger who work less paid job in US

No trooper is staying there to die, they are there to win.

And I do plan on joining the Army once I'm old enough.

ravensword227 said:
AsianAmerican said:

Get it straight: The purpose of the bill was to show the people that there is a snow balls chance of the draft coming back.

I hate it when people continue to perpetuate the fear of the dr
aft.

Im not trying to perpetuate the fear of anything i was just telling u a story my Government teacher told my class..RELAX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back