US media are liberal. Some facts.

Italian Guy

Milforum Hitman
Giant Scientific Inquiry By UCLA finds out US papers and Tv channels are liberal, really biased. The only newsmedia that are in line with the average american are.... Fox News and the Washington Times. Public Televisions are centrist.

Media Bias Is Real, Finds UCLA Political Scientist
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

What are your comments?
spacer.gif

Last edited:
It took a study to figure that one out? The media is set up to report the instability of the world; it shouldn't be a surprise that they would be biased.

I wasn't aware that this fact was ever in question. The media has been biased to the left for all of my life.

During the war in Vietnam, most American media actively supported Ho and the communists against their own country. Today, most of the media are actively supporting Al Queda, Saddam Hussien and the Palestinians.

So what's new?

WOW!

It took UCLA a huge study and a ton of cash to find out that the media is baised. I COULD OF TOLD THEM THAT IN TWO SECONDS!!!!!!! Hell, THEY COULD'VE PAID ME THE SAME AMOUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arrgghhhh!

I reckon they were looking for actual facts and not your bias. Funny thing is that over here we say FOX and Washington Post is right winged and therefor tainted..... funny business indeed.

Ted said:
I reckon they were looking for actual facts and not your bias. Funny thing is that over here we say FOX and Washington Post is right winged and therefor tainted..... funny business indeed.

Whats amusing is how pointless the study is, the fact remains that left/right, liberal/conservative is determined by the initial frame of reference which is just as likely to be as biased as the topic itself.

As an explaination, I look at few people on this board and think that they are fanatical right they look at me and think I am liberal, I look at myself as center right and friends look at me as almost fanatically right. When it comes down to it your location on the Left ---- Right line is determined by the measurers location on that line and has little to do with your own perception.

Funny, if the Right fights and dies for the right to the Freedom of speech, the Left misuses that very right to attack them, after they return from Canada.

Missileer said:
Funny, if the Right fights and dies for the right to the Freedom of speech, the Left misuses that very right to attack them, after they return from Canada.

Dont you think thats a little inaccurate as you are implying that the military is solely made up of right wing (I take this from the "after they return from Canada." quote) and I am prepared to bet vast sums that it is not so.

Italian Guy said:
Giant Scientific Inquiry By UCLA finds out US papers and Tv channels are liberal, really biased.
A lot of people knew this all along. Those of us that weren't blinded by the liberal (left-wing) press that is. We really didn't need a study to tell us this, but it does affirm what we knew for a fact all along.

I guess that study is for those who weren't already aware, or are maybe in denial.

If you say this article doesn't mean a thing then you are one of those in denail.
Or, you already know that the media is left-wing and you want it to stay that way, so they can influence more people to the left. And more likely you will also say that the media isn't left wing baised, so as not to alert anyone.

Last edited:
gladius said:
A lot of people knew this all along. Those of us that weren't blinded by the liberal (left-wing) press that is. We really didn't need a study to tell us this, but it does affirm what we knew for a fact all along.

I guess that study is for those who weren't already aware, or are maybe in denial.

If you say this article doesn't mean a thing then you are one of those in denail.
Or, you already know that the media is left-wing and you want it to stay that way, so they can influence more people to the left. And more likely you will also say that the media isn't left wing baised, so as not to alert anyone.

Well thats a new approach "if you dont agree with me you are in denial" heres a thought from where I sit CNN are left wing and Fox a right wing, if you believe Fox are also left wing then you are abviously to the right of me.

Now if you take the time to think about what I have said you will realise that left and right wing locations are determined by the stance of the person making the claims and change with each individual.

And if you reread the original post, it was talking about the American media being left of the average American. So Monty, you see with all due respect it really has nothing to do with your viewpoint whatsoever.

DTop said:
And if you reread the original post, it was talking about the American media being left of the average American. So Monty, you see with all due respect it really has nothing to do with your viewpoint whatsoever.

That is indeed true however and I dont want to get into a discussion on your interpretive reading qualities but you will notice I replied to a particular post and not the original one hence the use of my viewpoint which oddly enough is about as valid as yours on this topic.

If the media were lefter than Joe Sixpack, why aren't they backrupt yet? I reckon that you'll always find a bias, because any journalist will search for a story from a pre-set frame of reference. His likes and dislikes are his starting point.
Besides, we have gotten so used of suspecting the media, that even if they wrote a totally objective story, we would blame them as being biased.

MontyB said:
That is indeed true however and I dont want to get into a discussion on your interpretive reading qualities but you will notice I replied to a particular post and not the original one hence the use of my viewpoint which oddly enough is about as valid as yours on this topic.
If you have another problem with me PM me MontyB. You seem to be the only one these days :)

Ted said:
If the media were lefter than Joe Sixpack, why aren't they backrupt yet? I reckon that you'll always find a bias, because any journalist will search for a story from a pre-set frame of reference. His likes and dislikes are his starting point.
Besides, we have gotten so used of suspecting the media, that even if they wrote a totally objective story, we would blame them as being biased.
That's very true Ted. Whatever they're reporting is still selling. No reporter can do anythiing but report from his own perspective. Still, that doesn't change the fact that most of the major media is left of prevailing centrist American views. That's not to say that the prevailing American views would be considered centrist elsewhere.

Last edited:
But who is paying them? Why can they sustain themselves? That is what I can't understand. The major news producer only representing a small portion of the society.... that is a contradiction in terms isn't it?

Ted said:
But who is paying them? Why can they sustain themselves? That is what I can't understand. The major news producer only representing a small portion of the society.... that is a contradiction in terms isn't it?
No I don't think so. I think it's more the case that if most of the papers and TV news is left (to varying degrees) of the average American's viewpoint, they are still almost the only game in town. That's what gives them what power they have in shaping public opinion. They seem to feel it's their job to shape public opinion and the truth be damned.

Back