US light machine guns

therise21

what are the main differences between the m-60, m-240b, and the m-249? i know that the m249 uses 5.56 while the other 2 use 7.62, but what are the other differences between the weapons?

The M240 offers greater reliability for one. For another it allows the operator to select the rate of fire. The barrel is also more easily swapped in the M240. The M-60 also fired from the open bolt position so the first shot was less accurate. They're both still so pug-ugly they're beautiful, though. :D

The M240 offers greater reliability for one. For another it allows the operator to select the rate of fire. The barrel is also more easily swapped in the M240. The M-60 also fired from the open bolt position so the first shot was less accurate. They're both still so pug-ugly they're beautiful, though.

Source?

M249 is also fired form the open bolt position. Source: me.

They are easier to break down, clean and operate aren't they? I know the 249 is a heck of a lot of fun to fire. 5.56 is like shooting an automatic BB gun..LOL... haven't fired the 240

I havent shot the M249 SAW or the M240, but I have shot the Canadian versions of the weapons, the C9 and C6 which are basicly the same guns, both are made in Belgium by FN. The M249 has a few more variations but the standard gun is the same as the C9. The M240 is the same as the C6 but the C6 has a wooden butt on it. The only main difference of the two guns is the ammo used. The C9/M249 SAW uses a 5.56x45mm round and the C6/M240 use the 7.62x51mm round. The operation of the guns is almost the same (loading, parts, striping the guns for cleaning, barrel changing, etc.). The other big difference is the C9/M249 has a bolt and the C6/M240 uses a breach block. I like the C6/M240 better than the C9/M249 because its easier to clean and mantain,operate,field strip and detail strip,funner to shoot:thumb: , and changing the barrel is way faster. Hope that helps a little.

My reference is being a C6 gunner during my SQ course.:biggun:

[QUOTE]LOL... haven't fired the 240[/QUOTE]

It's just a MAG-58. We've been using them for yonks. It seems you guys have only just started using them in the recent past. They aren't without their charms, but the lack of a forgrip makes fire and movement a pain in the arse.

Hmmm, I've never found any major problems with the Minimi (SAW). Apart from when the weapon hard cocks or misfeeds, but thats to be expected - and even then there isn't much that tilt-****-look won't fix.

^^ Roger; Pull, Observe, Push, Squeeze (POPS) works like a dream unless it needs remedial action.

In this situation, it's nice to be able to reload quickly and relatively easily on the move as well, which the Ultimax allows an operator to do. You can reload the Ultimax on the move in a few seconds. Try that with an M249. Good luck to you.

Quoted from the link you provided Maj.

Hmmm, a good Minimi gunner can reload on the run without opening the weapon. Simply swap the mag pouch before the last of the link is used and clip the rounds from the new belt onto the tail end of the old one. No cocking required, simple, quick.

That's a similar technique to the one a Vietnam vet described to me. He would carry 100 round belts in canteen covers. When he reached the last few rounds, he'd simply clip on the next belt. I don't have any real world experience with it, but it seems like linked rounds would be easier to deal with than a drum, c-mag, or similar that depends on a spring.

One thing you have to careful about is overheating the barrel, which could be a problem if you keep tacking on belts willy nilly. However, if you keep track of how many rounds you've fired, you're probably GTG. I know I know, CPT Obvious here, but hey, common sense can be a survival trait.

Then again, as long as the gunner is using controlled bursts, this isn't as much of an issue. Those who burn an entire belt in one burst are usually refered to as "scared" or "insurgents." Even so, there are barrels in development that can take that sort of punishment. I've seen sites and video of MG3's and M240's firing several thousand rounds in a single burst with no damage to the barrel. If I can locate those links, I'll post them.

I remember seeing a video of a totally re-engineered M60 that fired for some crazy amount of time without stopping and without overheating. The guy's shoulder must've been feeling pretty good after that :D

Back