US lawmakers seek to strip extremists of citizenship (AFP)

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
AFP - Driven by the failed New York car bombing, US lawmakers were poised to unveil legislation Thursday to strip Americans of their citizenship if they aid or join a foreign terrorist group.

Read more...

What's the problem?

The problem I see is, how is it being revoked? In an open court of law? Or by some backroom bureaucrat?

As much as I might want to see some citizen turned terrorist drawn and quartered, I don't want the government stepping all over the Constitution to do it.

So the problem I see is the guaranteed rights citizens enjoy under the Constitutions protection being circumvented.

What's the problem?

The problem I see is, how is it being revoked? In an open court of law? Or by some backroom bureaucrat?

As much as I might want to see some citizen turned terrorist drawn and quartered, I don't want the government stepping all over the Constitution to do it.

So the problem I see is the guaranteed rights citizens enjoy under the Constitution's protection being circumvented.

Right and it'll go down to the definition of "extremist."
And what if they are American born? When stripped of citizenship, which citizenship are they supposed to be "forced" to have? Or will they just make them stateless?
The people involved in this may not realize what a huge topic this may become.
Will gangs also be included in this "extremist" category?
What about the "Oath Keepers"? Would that constitute "extremist"?
I smell a major cluster f**k waiting to happen.

We hd it in Germany, some decades ago: Suddenly WWI heroes were not Germans anymore, because they had the wrong religion, we actually managed to differentiate between "Germans" and "Jews"...

Now, the difference is between "Insert_group_here" and "Americans"?

Same thing and thinking, other wording.

Rattler

Last edited:
Rattler is right. If they weren't born here, there is already a law saying that naturalized citizens can lose their citizenship. But if they were it is, well, I don't know. I would say unConstitutional, but I don't recall where in the US Constitution where it says they can't.

I think the more pressing issue is who constitutes an extremist that should be stripped of citizenship?
The wording on the document better not be too open for interpretation or else the authorities (or whoever controls the authorities) may threaten to strip you of your citizenship just to keep you in line.

Back