US involvement in the China and Taiwan conflict?

Red_Army

I like the theme of this thread to be "Cause and Effect," whereas one action leads to another.

I strongly believe a war between China and Taiwan is coming very soon, probably within 1-3 years. When Chinese troops invade Taiwan, the US will most likely block its path with an aircraft carrier. Thus, resulting in a Sea and Air battle between Chinese ships and a US/Taiwan fleet. Because of the strength of US navy, Chinese troops would not be able to land on Taiwan. Thus, China will launch missiles at Taiwan instead. As time goes by, a lot of Chinese troops and Taiwanese civilians will die. Since China said it will pay any price for victory, expect this war to last at least 10 years and death in the millions.

Well, the big problem for a Chinese invasion is getting from point A to point B. Not only would it be prohibitively difficult for the relatively much weaker Chinese Navy and Air Force to defeat a U.S. carrier force, but the Taiwanese have a strong coastal defence force as well. Therefore, it seems that it would be prohibitively difficult for the Chinese army to make landfall.

The only strategy I think might prove fruitful to defeat the U.S. would be to play the American moralle card since the majority of the American public doesn't even know where Taiwan is, much less why Americans would want to die for that island.

Whispering Death said:
Well, the big problem for a Chinese invasion is getting from point A to point B. Not only would it be prohibitively difficult for the relatively much weaker Chinese Navy and Air Force to defeat a U.S. carrier force, but the Taiwanese have a strong coastal defence force as well. Therefore, it seems that it would be prohibitively difficult for the Chinese army to make landfall.

The only strategy I think might prove fruitful to defeat the U.S. would be to play the American moralle card since the majority of the American public doesn't even know where Taiwan is, much less why Americans would want to die for that island.

Is it possible for the Chinese to sink a US Aircraft Carrier?

The way I see it, the Chinese navy is close to irrelevent in a fight with America as surface ships are easy targets and Chinese submarines are equally ineffective compared to their American hunter/killer submarine counterparts. Therefore I have to conclude that the only real danger to an American carrier force is Chinese airpower.

Now certainly an American navy is vulnerable as we've seen cruise missiles have a 100% effectiveness in wartime. The only air-to-ship cruise missile fired in war that I am aware of was in the Fawlklands island campaign where the Argentine gov't sunk an AEGIS cruiser with an cruise missile. Therefore we can see that modern ships are hardly invulnerable, even American ones.

That being said, the sheer monetary raio of American millitary spending vs Chinese millitary spending sets the Chinese at an extreme disadvantage. American sensor technology and the amount of aircraft available for missions out of just one supercarrier has the ability to effectively neutralize a Chinese airborne threat at greater than standoff distance from the carrier.

Chewie, how about you have the decency to let sleeping dogs lie. I'll make you a deal, if this thread gets edgy you get the privilage of being the first to point it out. Till' then how bou't we just let it be, k?

Whispering Death said:
Chewie, how about you have the decency to let sleeping dogs lie. I'll make you a deal, if this thread gets edgy you get the privilage of being the first to point it out. Till' then how bou't we just let it be, k?

i tried that already....i would love a decent discussion on every facet of the geo political ramifications of any conflict in that area.

but it's been done....over and over...and pretty much without fail they get locked.

but by all means....knock your self out!

I know this subject has been beaten to death, but I'm new here and I love the chance to discuss this subject any chance I get. Again I feel that China will not invade Taiwan, at least not anytime soon and they are simply rattling sabres to save face and maybe to get a bargaining chip in the world market (we will not invade and in return we get ....) China has threaten invasion of Tiawan at least a dozen times, but this time people are nervous because 1) the US is tied up in the war on terror 2) China has a booming economy and spending a lot of money on upgrading its military.
But to answer those questions, China's military was shocked, suprised and generally upset after the Tsunami when , while supposable having manpower issues in Iraq, the US military was able to quickly mobalize large amounts of aid, men, equipment and material to the area. China's military must have took note that if needed the US can get a large amount of force to Taiwan just as quickly, regardless on what is going on in the middle east. Second both wars in Iraq proved a valuable lesson, Quality does beat quantity. Throwing shear number of outdated Soviet equipment against a small but superior equipted force does not guarantee you victory, actually you may get your butt whooped. Both China and somewhat with Russia are upgrading for this reason.

Ohh and PS while I think the US Navy is the best navy in the world , putting a carrier fleet in the strait of Tiawan is insane and will definately get a few ships sunk. Now if that happen how quick does WW3 start and when do we all get nuked.

What quantity did Iraq have? , Saddam Husseins military was already messed up, both in numbers and quality, Iraq neither did have quantity nor did it have quality, thats why the US could subdue the army with ease and still have enough strength to combat the insurgents and also send military aid for Tsunami affected regions

dude, dont forget one thing

china has land-based attack aircrafts that is alot more capable than your humble aircraft carrier, plus the sheer number of aircraft that will be involved in the marine attack will overwelm any sam system

i believe if the us navy steams it self into taiwan strait, chinse navy will pincer from east to west and vise versa, this will be the best tactic to desory the carriers

i dont believe the 7th fleet could sail that fast all the way to taiwan, by then chinese subs would've been blockading teh waters and us navy would have a hard time going through it

the invasion could take months tops, because if successful with no blockage in teh strait the marines of plan will overwelm kmt troops

strategically the chinese has more time to plan than us herself, remember every chinese general has to learn teh basis of strategy, placing it in the top piority simple because of its sheer power aginist other factors in war

this might gradually turn into the same old "whos daddy is strongest" type thread if anyone attempts to reply to the above ^^ post

Xion said:
this might gradually turn into the same old "whos daddy is strongest" type thread if anyone attempts to reply to the above ^^ post
Precisely. This is more or less destined to end up being a USA vs China topic and is probably going to to get locked pretty soon.

Yes, for some reason Urbanboy in particular seems to be like a drunken dad at a little league game yelling "yeah, my team is so going to kick your ass!" on this topic.

Anyway, basic modern naval strategy 101 is that you don't put your units in range of enemy units. This isn't Trafallager and America isn't going to line up their cruisers infront of Taiwan. They are going to keep their carrier task force(s) way back and use air power and submarines to sink ships that are crossing the straight. At that range the sensors such as the AWACS planes are going to give the American fleet a big heads up to incomming Chinese aircraft. This is not to say that the Americans would definately win, but being on defence the Americans have the ability to chose where they are going to position themselves.

But I do have a question for Urbanboy, dude.
Urbanboy said:

china has land-based attack aircrafts that is alot more capable than your humble aircraft carrier.

Upon what basis do you make this claim?

Whispering Death said:
But I do have a question for Urbanboy, dude.
Urbanboy wrote:

china has land-based attack aircrafts that is alot more capable than your humble aircraft carrier.

Upon what basis do you make this claim?

must be playing a lot of video games, i've seen them making a number of such extraordinary baseless claims

Xion said:
must be playing a lot of video games, i've seen them making a number of such extraordinary baseless claims

:lol: According to my Command&Conquer simmulation, American carriers can be destroyed by bombers and if they get too close to my base, by tesla coils. Also, according to my Apocalypse simmulation I can deduce that without a space marine on mars, the world is destined for Doom in some kind of Quake.

CHINA HAS LAND CAPABILITY WHILE US HAS NAVAL CAPABILTY, WE CAN SINK UR CARRIERS, WHCIH IS THE BASIC AIRFIELD FOR UR AIR FLEETS

HOWEVER LAND BASES ARE ALOT HARDER TO DESOTRY AND THUS ADVANTAGE= CHINA

LOL, IF YOU THINK THIS IS A PROPANGANDA SPEECH, THEN UR PROBABLY READING TOO MUCH PROPANGANDA URSELF

Please tell us how you have come to this very un-propogandist conclusion?

Because, like xion said, it sounds like you're talking about a computer game and not real war.

Land bases are not harder to destroy. They are static and therefore suseptable ot long rage attacks via cruise missile. A carrier on the other hand is always moving, and the only way to find it is either satellite or radar. If you use radar to find it, they know you've found them and will be prepared.

DESTRUCTION OF LANDBASSES MUST REQUIRE ENEMY TO PASS THROUGH A SYSTEM OF SAMS, AA GUNS AND OTHER PROTECTIONS

YOU FROGOT HOW WE CHINESE USE STRATEGY OVER OTHER FACTORS OF WAR: SOME BASES ARE ACTUALLY FAKE BASES TAHT APPEAR TO BE VUNERABLE, WHILE SOME STRATEGIC BASES ARE WELL CAMOFLAGED AND WELL HIDDEN

Yes we know the Chinese use strategy, crazy thing that. Imagine if everyone used strategy how crazy things woule be. No really, try and invision a warfare in which both sides use strategy, unimaginable!

Anyway, this assertion is completely rediculous that air bases always defeat aircraft carrier task forces. Perhaps you would be well served in researching, uh, history. Try the Islandhopping campaigns of WW2 or the Korean War, or Vietnam, or Afghanistan, or pretty much any time carrier forces have ever been used ever against land bases in the entire history of warfare. Again, this is not an "omg America would so win omg wtf" thing, this is just the simple fact that your assertion, UrbanBoy, is completely baseless and without merrit. In fact, it contradicts pretty much every bit of intelligent thought on this subject.

Back