US involvement in the China and Taiwan conflict? - Page 2

--
Boots

April 8th, 2005  
Xion

this might gradually turn into the same old "whos daddy is strongest" type thread if anyone attempts to reply to the above ^^ post
April 8th, 2005  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion
this might gradually turn into the same old "whos daddy is strongest" type thread if anyone attempts to reply to the above ^^ post
Precisely. This is more or less destined to end up being a USA vs China topic and is probably going to to get locked pretty soon.
April 8th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Yes, for some reason Urbanboy in particular seems to be like a drunken dad at a little league game yelling "yeah, my team is so going to kick your ass!" on this topic.

Anyway, basic modern naval strategy 101 is that you don't put your units in range of enemy units. This isn't Trafallager and America isn't going to line up their cruisers infront of Taiwan. They are going to keep their carrier task force(s) way back and use air power and submarines to sink ships that are crossing the straight. At that range the sensors such as the AWACS planes are going to give the American fleet a big heads up to incomming Chinese aircraft. This is not to say that the Americans would definately win, but being on defence the Americans have the ability to chose where they are going to position themselves.

But I do have a question for Urbanboy, dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanboy
dude, dont forget one thing

china has land-based attack aircrafts that is alot more capable than your humble aircraft carrier.
Upon what basis do you make this claim?
--
Boots
April 8th, 2005  
Xion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
But I do have a question for Urbanboy, dude.
Urbanboy wrote:
dude, dont forget one thing

china has land-based attack aircrafts that is alot more capable than your humble aircraft carrier.

Upon what basis do you make this claim?
must be playing a lot of video games, i've seen them making a number of such extraordinary baseless claims
April 8th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion
must be playing a lot of video games, i've seen them making a number of such extraordinary baseless claims
According to my Command&Conquer simmulation, American carriers can be destroyed by bombers and if they get too close to my base, by tesla coils. Also, according to my Apocalypse simmulation I can deduce that without a space marine on mars, the world is destined for Doom in some kind of Quake.
April 9th, 2005  
MadeInChina

Quote:
CHINA HAS LAND CAPABILITY WHILE US HAS NAVAL CAPABILTY, WE CAN SINK UR CARRIERS, WHCIH IS THE BASIC AIRFIELD FOR UR AIR FLEETS

HOWEVER LAND BASES ARE ALOT HARDER TO DESOTRY AND THUS ADVANTAGE= CHINA

LOL, IF YOU THINK THIS IS A PROPANGANDA SPEECH, THEN UR PROBABLY READING TOO MUCH PROPANGANDA URSELF
April 9th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Please tell us how you have come to this very un-propogandist conclusion?

Because, like xion said, it sounds like you're talking about a computer game and not real war.
April 9th, 2005  
Knightraptor

Land bases are not harder to destroy. They are static and therefore suseptable ot long rage attacks via cruise missile. A carrier on the other hand is always moving, and the only way to find it is either satellite or radar. If you use radar to find it, they know you've found them and will be prepared.
April 9th, 2005  
MadeInChina

DESTRUCTION OF LANDBASSES MUST REQUIRE ENEMY TO PASS THROUGH A SYSTEM OF SAMS, AA GUNS AND OTHER PROTECTIONS

YOU FROGOT HOW WE CHINESE USE STRATEGY OVER OTHER FACTORS OF WAR: SOME BASES ARE ACTUALLY FAKE BASES TAHT APPEAR TO BE VUNERABLE, WHILE SOME STRATEGIC BASES ARE WELL CAMOFLAGED AND WELL HIDDEN
April 9th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Yes we know the Chinese use strategy, crazy thing that. Imagine if everyone used strategy how crazy things woule be. No really, try and invision a warfare in which both sides use strategy, unimaginable!

Anyway, this assertion is completely rediculous that air bases always defeat aircraft carrier task forces. Perhaps you would be well served in researching, uh, history. Try the Islandhopping campaigns of WW2 or the Korean War, or Vietnam, or Afghanistan, or pretty much any time carrier forces have ever been used ever against land bases in the entire history of warfare. Again, this is not an "omg America would so win omg wtf" thing, this is just the simple fact that your assertion, UrbanBoy, is completely baseless and without merrit. In fact, it contradicts pretty much every bit of intelligent thought on this subject.