US invloment in Iraq

If you break it, you bought it.
If you invade a sovereign nation you will have to stay the course.
I raised this question very early, during the invasion.
What happens when the US gets tired of this and goes home?
At that point in time the sentiments was that the US would never pull out untill the situation in Iraq was stable and peaceful.
Today there is a different tune out there.

But the real question in my mind is.
Why the f*ck didn´t we get a chance to get Afghanistan right before a large portion of the troops earmarked for Afghanistan got diverted to Iraq?
I submit that troops have died needlesly in "The Stan" because the job wasn´t done right from the start.

Anyone care to comment on that?

Last edited:
I happen to agree. we could have gotten Bin Laden; we had him surrounded on 3 sides, but instead of closing off the 4th we sent troops to Iraq.

If you break it, you bought it.
If you invade a sovereign nation you will have to stay the course.
I would agree if we had invaded based on something other than the lies this administration trumped up or "Cherry Picked" from good intell. to get us to invade in the first place. To my way of thinking, this administration broke it, not us!

I raised this question very early, during the invasion.
What happens when the US gets tired of this and goes home?
At that point in time the sentiments was that the US would never pull out untill the situation in Iraq was stable and peaceful.
Today there is a different tune out there.

But the real question in my mind is.
Why the f*ck didn´t we get a chance to get Afghanistan right before a large portion of the troops earmarked for Afghanistan got diverted to Iraq?
I submit that troops have died needlesly in "The Stan" because the job wasn´t done right from the start.

Absoluitely Agreed!
Anyone care to comment on that?

& Bush & Cheney are still calling the shots! (disgusting!!)

& Bush & Cheney are still calling the shots! (disgusting!!)

9 posts... every one of them bashing Bush.

Amazing. This has to be a record, lol.

(I'll answer your other post in a bit, bro - going to take a few minutes to think on it. But thnk you for clarifying your status, and thank you for your service!)

- Richard

9 posts... every one of them bashing Bush.

Amazing. This has to be a record, lol.

(I'll answer your other post in a bit, bro - going to take a few minutes to think on it. But thnk you for clarifying your status, and thank you for your service!)

- Richard

Hey....we even have the same first name!:)
( & how about "Dad" instead of "Bro".......Just teasing ya!)

Last edited:
If the US pulls out... now that is going to be very interesting.

Agreed.

If anything Boomer... it's not about being world police, it's about cleaning up the mess we started.
We are responsible, one way or another, with what is happening in Iraq today. We can't just say "we messed up, screw the Iraqis" and leave.

I wouldn't say it is entirely our fault. But we do play a critical role in this whole thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Hey....we even have the same first name!:)
( & how about "Dad" instead of "Bro".......Just teasing ya!)

In that case, it is a pleasure to meet you, Richard! :drunkb:

I normally have much more time in the forums than I have now - I'm in Florida visiting my wife and trying to get this move complete, so I am a bit short in my posts. I do apologize for that. She's at track right now (volunteer high-jump coach) so I have a few, but I'm a make her a nice dinner for when she gets home and then I have to take care of some business of my own for when I get back to AZ. 3,000-mile moves are expensive. Sigh.

Glad you decided to join the forums! Any military service?

In that case, it is a pleasure to meet you, Richard! :drunkb:

I normally have much more time in the forums than I have now - I'm in Florida visiting my wife and trying to get this move complete, so I am a bit short in my posts. I do apologize for that. She's at track right now (volunteer high-jump coach) so I have a few, but I'm a make her a nice dinner for when she gets home and then I have to take care of some business of my own for when I get back to AZ. 3,000-mile moves are expensive. Sigh.

Glad you decided to join the forums! Any military service?

Nice to meet you too Richard & glad we got a few things straightened out.:cheers: I salute your service as well! The only military service I had was 3 years of ROTC in college. (stop laughing!!....ROTC was tough I tell ya!!)
I graduated Northeastern Univ. in 1969 & went right to work for Uncle Sam in law enforcement so my draft board gave me a pass. (& I was also married & had a young daughter in my junior year)

Devil505, Americans are responsible for the actions of a president they elect... at least to a degree. I mean heck, Bush got re-elected.

Should have stayed in Afghanistan. I think what happened (as it so often happens) is the administration under estimated the Afghan problem. They saw how quickly the Taliban crumbled in the first few months and thought it was a piece of cake.
So much for that.
And if it's any kind of comparison, Iraq has a higher chance of success than Afghanistan in terms of turning it into some kind of working country.
Depressing actually. Pretty darn depressing.
Remember way back when people were going on about how after 2000 there would be no more wars? Well... there's plenty of war and no flying cars yet.

Devil505, Americans are responsible for the actions of a president they elect... at least to a degree. I mean heck, Bush got re-elected.

Should have stayed in Afghanistan. I think what happened (as it so often happens) is the administration under estimated the Afghan problem. They saw how quickly the Taliban crumbled in the first few months and thought it was a piece of cake.
So much for that.
And if it's any kind of comparison, Iraq has a higher chance of success than Afghanistan in terms of turning it into some kind of working country.
Depressing actually. Pretty darn depressing.
Remember way back when people were going on about how after 2000 there would be no more wars? Well... there's plenty of war and no flying cars yet.

I guess you have a point about us being somewhat responsible for Bush but it just really angers me that we haven't impeached him & Cheney & prosecuted them for the many crimes (Obstruction of Justice, etc) that they have committed. Why aren't the American people, who are the ones dying due to their lies, not more angry? Well, actually I think they are angry & this November will show how angry we are!

Now it is all very good you sitting at home saying that you are fed up hearing about the conflict and your countrymen getting killed and wounded, well I don't think that they think it is much fun, but unlike you they feel they have a duty to support their country rather than just whine on about it. Lets face it it is not only Americans that are getting killed out there.

First of all when I said OUR troops I personnaly include ALL of the troops that are over there. Not just my "countrymen" as LeEnfield puts it. Secondly, I may be sitting at home voicing my OPINION, but that doesn't mean that I haven't been there before. I have already served MY country and support her troops where ever they are sent. I was in the U.S. Air Force from '86 to '90, 3 of those years with Security Police (now called Security Forces). :bang:

In theory.... it seems rather unlikely that the 2 closest elections in US history were both involving the same president and both came down to voting machine issues...

Well, it do not seems that US led coalition could leave the Iraq soon, just because of human catastrophe and establishment of `reservation or terrorists` that will follow the withdrawal of `peacekeeping forces`. Besides, internationally it could be received as political defeat in `war on terrorism`. So the USA actually does not have a great choice regarding its further politics on Iraq.

Well, it do not seems that US led coalition could leave the Iraq soon, just because of human catastrophe and establishment of `reservation or terrorists` that will follow the withdrawal of `peacekeeping forces`. Besides, internationally it could be received as political defeat in `war on terrorism`. So the USA actually does not have a great choice regarding its further politics on Iraq.
Well said.
If we stay, people keep dying. If we go home, we make fools of ourselves. It's a can't win.

Well said.
If we stay, people keep dying. If we go home, we make fools of ourselves. It's a can't win.

& who do we have to thank for this mess?...GW Bush & Dick "7 Deferments" Cheney.
I say we leave tomorrow. I'd rather save one American life & let the Iraqi's go back to killing eachother like they've been doing forever & will coninue to do the second we leave. Do it now!

& who do we have to thank for this mess?...GW Bush & Dick "7 Deferments" Cheney.
I say we leave tomorrow. I'd rather save one American life & let the Iraqi's go back to killing eachother like they've been doing forever & will coninue to do the second we leave. Do it now!

So, from what I understand, you're saying that George W. Bush and Dick Cheney are responsible for all of 'this'?

And, somehow, in the process of "killing eachother" we became targets, which was made obvious to the world on Sept. 11, 2001. One might say that our place in the conflict(s) of the Middle East, was inevitable.

Mankind are experts at destroying that which is precious in life. Peace is no exception, and there's no one side to blame.

Back