US Infantryman Ammo load out

bandit

Hi,
Sorry if these seems a stupid question. I have done search after search and can not get an answer to this question, so I thought I would ask you guys.
How many M16 mags would a US infantry man carry into combat, this is in alice webbing or LBE/LBV etc no rucksack/backpack.
I cant ask a US soldier this as I am in the UK. but I would like this to be answered by a serving or recently released serviceman please.
Thanks in advance.
Gary

MunitionsAirman said:
How many would you carry? and why do you want to know how much a U.S. infantry carries?
How many would I carry? The same amount as the real guys that's why I asked. Why I want to know is, I am part of a re enactment group in the UK we are not sure of the correct amount of mags carried hence the question?
Sorry if it seems a dumb question but we want the load out to be correct.

What are you reenacting? It might be helpful to the people on the board to know what kind of soldier you would be acting out. Amount of ammo will vary between the various kinds of soldiers. If I remember right the army also allows soldiers to carry a few other supplies of whatever they would choose such as extra rations, or extra ammo, etc.

We are going to be reenacting as standard US Infantry (not sure which regiment yet). So we will try to look as standard as possible. We do not want to go special forces or anything like that. Hope this helps.
Also we would be going for a *light* load out so no backpacks etc just a *short range patrol* kinda look.

Sorry, I have little to no infantry training, but the LBE is usually outfitted with two three magazine ammo pouches, and I believe in Vietnam they still used the 30 round magazines (which were never filled completely as it wore out the spring and caused feed and jam problems), so I'd say that puts you at (with say 25 rounds per mag and one mag in the weapon) 175 rounds per soldier.

You'll probably want a second opinion, but that's correct to the best of my knowledge.

Like I said, I don't know for sure, but if you look at photographs of our troops in Vietnam, they are using 30 round mags. So I figured that was a bit of a hint :wink: .

This has nothing to do with Vietnam, but Basic Load in this AOR is 210 rounds. 6 in ammo puches on LBV/LBE, 1 on standby in cargo pocket. When we go "Amber", magazine is loaded in the weapon. "Red" - round goes in the chamber, ready to fight.

Ah sorry should have made it more clear. We are not doing the Nam look. There are hundreds already doing that. We are recreatring GW1.So it pretty much the kit they use now.

bandit said:
Ah sorry should have made it more clear. We are not doing the Nam look. There are hundreds already doing that. We are recreatring GW1.So it pretty much the kit they use now.

Why, if you don't mind my asking?

No, we don't throw away our used magazines. What we do is loop some 550 cord to the butt end of the magazine, and we also attatch a D ring to our LBE/LBV (by the way, there were no LBV's in GW1). Once the magazine is empty, and you are reloading, you place the 550 cord loop in the d ring in order to maintain positive control of your magazines. Once the fight is over, or a lull in combat, you reload, and place the magazines back in thier respective ammo pouches.

(by the way, there were no LBV's in GW1). Ah did not know that? Thank you. Time to break out the alice kit then.
Why? Good question we are a bunch of military nuts who for various reasons cant, wont do military service but we want to recreate some of the stuff the real guys do (we know they put their lives on the line, we are just playing). Also we are the UK. Joining the US army would be difficult?
Me personaly, I cant do service as I am slighy hanidcapped (bike wreck 10 years ago) This gives me a chance to live the dream.

Also we are big fans of the US military. They seem to get a bad rap over here by the liberals, but we think that they are the best armed forces, period.

dont

we think that they are the best armed forces, period.

Now, dont get on my bed side.... :wink:

dragon_master_gunner- thanks.they have this rumor that the american army is so rich(compared with the IDF) that you dont bother to keep used mags....

bandit said:
Also we are big fans of the US military. They seem to get a bad rap over here by the liberals, but we think that they are the best armed forces, period.

Well thank you. Your own military is damned good too, I wouldn't sell them short.

the standard load is 210 rounds, 7 mags(30 Rds.) 3 in the two ammo pouches, one in the weapon. But everyone carries more. With the new MOLLE gear, you can carry a lot more.

Back