US Infantryman Ammo load out

Just to say, in Vietnam they had both the 30rd. mags & 20rd. mags, which were used due to the confined jungle conditions. They were the ones that were partially filled to 18rds. because of the spring.

And bandit, I completely agree, as I too live in the UK and am a big fan of the US military. Good on ya!

-Rman-

Re: A LITTLE QUESTION...

sherman105 said:
is it true that american GIs throw away emptied clips...?
If you want a tip bandit- chuck used clips down the front of your smock to save time - is what i do ;) . If you guys really want to reenact (ie with paintball guns) search for "RAM markers" that look just like the real thing

Mi6 M4 Ammo Loadouts

Howdy Folks

Average Grunt in Nam carried upwards of 24 20 rds mags with 18 rds in ea one Usally in the Ammo Banoeers not the 4 Mag Pouches. Each Bandoleer could carry 7 20 rd mags. 2 or 4 Frag grenades 100 rounds for the Machine gun in the Squad a M18a1 Claymore mine two canteens sometimes an M72a1 LAW Plus one round for the attached Mortar Squad. curent Ops folks I have talked with about loadouts say they were carrying twelve 30 rd mags for the M4 plus thier Sniper rifles related ammo and Kit. Line Grunts might carry as many as 18 Mags plus 4 frag grenades in urban areas plus demo kits and assorted tools for forcibal entry into buildings. Short stocked Shotguns are used for door breaching. HE for slamming a hole in a wall. Det cord to blow door handles off etc.

One friend who served In Nam carried an M14 for his year in country and caried 24 Mags for it in his truck cab. He was a Combat Engineer.

A buddy of mine on a RAF unit in Aden when on guard, was given five 303 rounds in a recharging clip which was to be carried in his top left hand breast pocket and NEVER in the rifle (He might hurt somebody)!!!! The guards never even had their own rifles, the chap coming off guard handed his rifle to his relief.

In the late 60's in Singapore, all was nice and quiet and rarely did guard duty (that's what RAF policemen were for, who were given 9mm Brownings AND ammunition), on the rare occasions we did guard duty, they issued us with a Lee Enfield, but no ammunition, I suppose they were worried in case we shot ourselves

Last edited:
While in the Cameroons 1960-61 on guard or patrol. We in the King's Own Royal Border Regiment always had a 20 round full magazine in our pouches with an empty one on the S.L.R.
I also admire the American Military

While in the Cameroons 1960-61 on guard or patrol. We in the King's Own Royal Border Regiment always had a 20 round full magazine in our pouches with an empty one on the S.L.R.

We didn't get SLR's in the Far East Air Force until 1968 or 1969, although Army units, the Royal Marines and RAF Regiment got them well before then.

What I cannot understand, why fit an empty magazine to a rifle, when "make safe" is perfectly safe?

My dad was in the RASC in the Middle East (Egypt and Palestine), and issued an original Thompson, with front pistol grip, finned barrel, 50 round drum magazine and Cutts converter on the muzzle. Whenever he was on guard duty, they took away his tommy gun and gave him a rifle.

Before he went to the Middle East he was in France well after D Day running convoys, during one of those convoys he had a pretty bad traffic accident. The nearest hospital was a US Army unit, where a few of his mates were also sent, he always said, "The Americans looked after their blokes far better then we were." He said they were all issued a carton of 200 cigarettes and a Zippo lighter, taken to a mess tent and told to help themselves, they couldn't get over the quality, quantity and choice of food. He reckoned that by the time they had finished there's was nothing left. He was sorry to get sent back to his unit after he was fit. He never forgot how well the American medical staff looked after him and his mates.

Last edited:
A very interesting post BritinAfrica.
The empty magazine on the SLR was standard procedure in the regiment at the time and has you know one does as one's told. Obviously things change in different situations. Other members of the forum will agree that the British Army are very strict with their procedures when dealing with weapons and ammunition

The standard load for any US soldier is 210 rds of 5.56 mm ball ammunition. When I was in OIF 1 I had the standard 6 mags in my LBV, then I hooked 2 more ALICE mag pouches to my IBA giving me 6 more. The 13th mag was put into the weapon. I also had a mag drop pouch, instead of using a D ring for the empty mags, I had a large pouch connected to my IBA that I could put empty mags into until I had time to reload my mags.

Today, serving in Iraq yet again, I have all MOLLE gear. I have 3 mag pouches on the front of my IOTV (body armor) which is 6 mags, and then another mag pouch just under and to the front of my right arm ( shoot long guns lefty so it's easier to reload from there). In front of that mag pouch is my Beretta 92f. I also have a mag attached to the buttstock of my M4, and finally my Red status mag I keep on the dash board of my MRAP. In addition to this each one of my trucks (4 in one platoon) has no less than 20 extra mags available in a bag inside the truck...just in case. 7 mags is the minimum, after that, it's all about preference.

Attachments

• 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 13
This picture is of a British Para's standard load. The three cardboard boxes are three days rations.

para_reunion39_600.jpg

A very interesting post BritinAfrica.
The empty magazine on the SLR was standard procedure in the regiment at the time and has you know one does as one's told. Obviously things change in different situations. Other members of the forum will agree that the British Army are very strict with their procedures when dealing with weapons and ammunition

Absolutely. A few years ago in the TA, one of our permanent staff mentioned that one of his guys had an ND in Northern Ireland, he was given 156 days, no messing.

Last edited:
Re patrolling with loaded weapons...I think a lot depends on your unit I know that my old Regiment always loaded their weapons and went around with a full magazines. When I was in the Middle East a directive came down from the Government saying that we were shooting to many terrorist and that we should patrol with blank ammunition and when this was fired it would frighten them away. Our officers took us down to the shooting ranges and told of us of this after opening dozens of boxes of ammunition and told us we should not take any ammunition from the range. I gathered several bandoleers put them over my shoulder and went to leave the range and was challenged by officer who asked me if I had any live ammunition on my person, I saluted and said "No Sir" to which he replied good lad and walked away with hundreds of rounds in clear sight. So officially we no ammunition and every one was happy.

The standard load for any US soldier is 210 rds of 5.56 mm ball ammunition. When I was in OIF 1 I had the standard 6 mags in my LBV, then I hooked 2 more ALICE mag pouches to my IBA giving me 6 more. The 13th mag was put into the weapon. I also had a mag drop pouch, instead of using a D ring for the empty mags, I had a large pouch connected to my IBA that I could put empty mags into until I had time to reload my mags.

Today, serving in Iraq yet again, I have all MOLLE gear. I have 3 mag pouches on the front of my IOTV (body armor) which is 6 mags, and then another mag pouch just under and to the front of my right arm ( shoot long guns lefty so it's easier to reload from there). In front of that mag pouch is my Beretta 92f. I also have a mag attached to the buttstock of my M4, and finally my Red status mag I keep on the dash board of my MRAP. In addition to this each one of my trucks (4 in one platoon) has no less than 20 extra mags available in a bag inside the truck...just in case. 7 mags is the minimum, after that, it's all about preference.

Yeah I carried two dump pouches. One in the Hummer one on me plus the basic load out.

Patrolling without a chambered round is suicide.
If someone overseeing decisions on ROE thinks not, then ratchet up training. But don't put a man on the street and force him to go through multiple prompts when a gunfight breaks out. Remember, the situation can go from quiet to kinetic in half the time it takes to breathe.

In the very early days of the VN buildup, some Marines patrolled with unchambered ammo.

Years ago I helped at a Travelling Wall event and a Marine pointed out a buddy who was shot and shot again as he tried to load his piece. "Died with his hand on the operating rod."
This lunatic practice did not last long.
Speaking of lunatics, I simply cannot fathom some re enactment ****** wanting to emulate guys who are actually downrange and fighting this very moment for real..
I am mouthing words I won't write here.

Back