US "Hikers" freed from Iran

muscogeemike

Is it just me or does anybody else sense something fishy with these three “hikers” who “strayed” into Iran? Maybe they are simply idiots - but I think there maybe more to the story.

Same here.
You don't accidentally stray into Iran.
At least, not like that.

Exactly. I don't know what they were up to, but I don't believe for one second that they were out hiking and just *happened* to cross the Iranian border.

They say they were hiking in Iraq got lost, and walked into Iran by accident without a gps or even a map.

Of course that begs the question -why were they hiking in Iraq? Is it tourist season or something there?

At first glance it occurs to fantastic to be true, but on the other hand I've seen and experienced an impressive level of stupidity among tourists before.
Like trying to handfeed a bear in the zoo with Maryland cookies...

For all I know they could have been walking in a too close proximity to the border and then aprehended by a Iranian border patrol simply because they had strayed into one of the numerous minefields left there.

Or they could have attempted some kind of smuggeling or other tricky buisness.

Most interesting fact is that the Iranian authorities didn't bother to keep them there, indicating either covert diplomatic activity, or simply that they were certifiable lunatics.

Last edited:
Back