US Forces Attack and burn English Town.

Chukpike

Banned
At 11 p.m. on this day in 1778, Commander John Paul Jones leads a small detachment of two boats from his ship, the USS Ranger, to raid the shallow port at Whitehaven, England, where, by his own account, 400 British merchant ships are anchored. Jones was hoping to reach the port at midnight, when ebb tide would leave the ships at their most vulnerable.

Jones and his 30 volunteers had greater difficulty than anticipated rowing to the port, which was protected by two forts. They did not arrive until dawn. Jones boat successfully took the southern fort, disabling its cannon, but the other boat returned without attempting an attack on the northern fort, after the sailors claimed to have been frightened away by a noise. To compensate, Jones set fire to the southern fort, which subsequently engulfed the entire town...............

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/john-paul-jones-leads-american-raid-on-whitehaven-england

At 11 p.m. on this day in 1778, Commander John Paul Jones leads a small detachment of two boats from his ship, the USS Ranger, to raid the shallow port at Whitehaven, England, where, by his own account, 400 British merchant ships are anchored. Jones was hoping to reach the port at midnight, when ebb tide would leave the ships at their most vulnerable.

Jones and his 30 volunteers had greater difficulty than anticipated rowing to the port, which was protected by two forts. They did not arrive until dawn. Jones boat successfully took the southern fort, disabling its cannon, but the other boat returned without attempting an attack on the northern fort, after the sailors claimed to have been frightened away by a noise. To compensate, Jones set fire to the southern fort, which subsequently engulfed the entire town...............

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/john-paul-jones-leads-american-raid-on-whitehaven-england
He didn't burn the town down, while daring the raid itself was a fairly muddled affair
http://www.whitehavenandwesternlakeland.co.uk/johnpauljones/raid.htm

Yes, but capturing one of the forts and burning it was made possible because an attack from America at that time, was probably thought impossible.
He didn't burn a fort ( they were made out of thick stone, not wood) he captured it and spiked its guns.
Captain Jones was more successful against the HMS Serpis.
Indeed.;)
Don't get me wrong, John Paul Jones was a brave and daring man who fully deserves his place amongst American hero's. I'm just correcting the folk-lore surrounding this incident

He didn't burn a fort ( they were made out of thick stone, not wood) he captured it and spiked its guns.
Indeed.;)
Don't get me wrong, John Paul Jones was a brave and daring man who fully deserves his place amongst American hero's. I'm just correcting the folk-lore surrounding this incident
Actually, it was a surprizing raid for the time. I think the descrption from the History channel link I gave might be more accurate. But anyway yours seems to romantize it better. And Jones is credited in doing the Brittish a favor:

"So ended the attack on Whitehaven of 1778. In truth, despite being audacious, having the advantage of surprise and Jones’s inside knowledge, the attack had been a bungled failure. This seems to have been due largely to the American crew’s reluctance to "destroy poor peoples property" as Wallingford had put it. However, the shock waves, that it sent throughout the country were completely out of proportion with the mere few hundred pounds worth of damage actually caused and turned John Paul Jones into an infamous pirate. Importantly, it awakened everyone to the threat of invasion. The defences of not only Whitehaven but also the entire British coast were improved and more volunteers joined the militias. In short, John Paul Jones did Britain a favour because his actions probably prevented a full-scale French invasion."

History Channel = accurate :shock: :lol:
The History Channel may be many things, but accurate is seldom one of them ;)

Probably as good as the tourist pamphlet you supplied? Had to find some way of putting an English twist to it.

You might say England got caught with there knickers down.:lol:

It is OK, as I believe England has kept the US from invading since. But you never know what those Yanks's might do.
Maybe buy a soccer team?;-)

Aprapros of nothing at all. The second in command of the Whitehaven raid was Sam Wallingford Lieutenant Continental Marines, He was described by Lady Selkirk as a "very civil and polite youngman in a green jacket."

From what I heard they drank the pubs dry, life doesn't change much.
Well you know how the English and Scot's are.

Not until after the war was over did they become drunken Americans.:lol:

P. S. How old are you? That you"heard they drank the pubs dry". You are not claiming to have heard it from someone who was there, are you?:cheers:

Last edited:
Chukpike......When I was a lad many years ago a very old lady told us tales of the American war of independence as told to her by her grandfather who fought there

Back