US, EU halt payments to Palestinian Authority

Marinerhodes

Took this from the International Forums for discussion here.

What impact(s) do you think this will actually have in regards to relations between Palastine and Israel?

Reading over parts of the article I think it may help bring the Hamas more into line with the "roadmap to peace" but may have longer lasting effects in the financial arena for both Palestine and EU interests.

Discuss please.

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsArticle.aspx?type=worldNews&storyID=uri:2006-04-08T034936Z_01_N07289356_RTRUKOC_0_US-MIDEAST.xml&pageNumber=1&summit=

Good, stop giving this scumbags cash and they might stop blowing up women and childern.

I have never had any honor or respect for terrorist or those that Support them. Hence my disdain and lack of trust with Europe and the hypocritical attitude that Euopre has most of the time.

I am supportive of the measure.

Does anyone remember MAP (military Assistance Program) during the Cold War? The US gave NATO nations economic and military aid so they could have an effective military. One program had the US giving a country food. Then that country would take the money it would have spent on food and used it for their military.

I think the same thing is going on with the Palestinians. Who knows how many millions are going to them in aid programs. That is millions the government does not have to spend on food and health. I remember Hamas saying that they will create an Army like any other country. If Hamas is willing to spend money for military, then they do not need any aid from US or Europe.

I'm all for it. Punish the hostile government but not the people. If the people are smart enough, they will realize that the world does not hate them and maybe that'll change the government.

Btw Doody, no matter how many times I see your avatar, it always makes me laugh. Maybe it's because of all the smart monkeys I see on my favorite shows (Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama).

Doody said:
I am supportive of the measure.

Does anyone remember MAP (military Assistance Program) during the Cold War? The US gave NATO nations economic and military aid so they could have an effective military. One program had the US giving a country food. Then that country would take the money it would have spent on food and used it for their military.

I think the same thing is going on with the Palestinians. Who knows how many millions are going to them in aid programs. That is millions the government does not have to spend on food and health. I remember Hamas saying that they will create an Army like any other country. If Hamas is willing to spend money for military, then they do not need any aid from US or Europe.

I agree. Make them start taking care of their people and make things "right' at home then maybe they won't be able take such a militaristic view of things.

I am for the measure, but I am afraid that it will be the people in the street who feel it the most. Certain programmes will stop it I guess the money will flow to the wrong this first. This does not mean however to continu giving money to Hamas.

Back