US destoyed Kursk?

The Kursk accident is becoming a myth of the modern time. I remember the day when Kursk sank, I was working outside the Aviation Museum when two or three F-16s on 5 mn quick reaction performed a fast take off from Bodø AFB and went straight on interception course with live ordonance.

I remember I thought "Well that's no exercise". One hour later it was on the news Norwegian fighters intercepting Russian fighter airplanes in the North West costal waters of Norway. The official Russian explanation was that they were hunting down a damaged submarine being tracked from the Kursk site - two days later a damaged Allied submarine shows up in the docks at a Naval Port in Norway - intelsat pictures distributed on just about every major TV channel in Norway, the least.

Of course this was subject of denial.

:hide:

I am sure both sides really knows what did happen, but admitting the fact is beyond ordinary political agenda.

sunblock said:
The Kursk accident is becoming a myth of the modern time. I remember the day when Kursk sank, I was working outside the Aviation Museum when two or three F-16s on 5 mn quick reaction performed a fast take off from Bodø AFB and went straight on interception course with live ordonance.

I remember I thought "Well that's no exercise". One hour later it was on the news Norwegian fighters intercepting Russian fighter airplanes in the North West costal waters of Norway. The official Russian explanation was that they were hunting down a damaged submarine being tracked from the Kursk site - two days later a damaged Allied submarine shows up in the docks at a Naval Port in Norway - intelsat pictures distributed on just about every major TV channel in Norway, the least.

Of course this was subject of denial.

:hide:

I am sure both sides really knows what did happen, but admitting the fact is beyond ordinary political agenda.

Oh really? I didn't know that, extremely interesting. So you live as far north as Bodo?

Italian Guy said:
Oh really? I didn't know that, extremely interesting. So you live as far north as Bodo?

I spent a few years in Bodø - after the dark period at CRC Viper but that is another story. I'll dig into the Kursk coverage for this thread and post if it is of public interest.

The Russian gouvernment did identify two US subs in the area; Toledo and Memphis, which one of them by sonar activity registered two explotions onboard the Kursk. Whats more a Norwegian Orion plane registered two explotions on a routine patrol in the Barents Sea where they immediately dropped sonars.

Another fact is that the Norwegian Geological Center recorded the explosions with their seismographs - 1700 kilometers away.

??

I'm getting the drift that US subs and the Kursk engaged in a conflict (was the Kursk spying on Nato installations in Norway?) and the Kursk was sunk. The "explosions onboard" that you mentioned would be caused by torpedoes strikes? I need to do some more research on this.

Re: ??

Italian Guy said:
I'm getting the drift that US subs and the Kursk engaged in a conflict (was the Kursk spying on Nato installations in Norway?) and the Kursk was sunk. The "explosions onboard" that you mentioned would be caused by torpedoes strikes? I need to do some more research on this.

Kursk was part of a major naval exercise where several large vessels from the Russian Navy participated.

Read more about the explotions http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/884027.stm.

Edit:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1172398.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/902899.stm

I believe the Kursk was sunk either by an accident in the torpedo room or by bad maintainance in general.

On the other hand.....

sunb! said:
I believe the Kursk was sunk either by an accident in the torpedo room or by bad maintainance in general.

On the other hand.....

Nothing to do with an American or British torpedo then?

Missileer said:
I don't see how a ram that catastrophic to one sub didn't take both down.

I have the same doubt. Plus, a friend of mine said he saw a film or something immediately after the event and he said the Kursk had no holes when it was brought out of the ocean.

We all know that the Russians didn't take care of any of their ships, and that most were in poor condition. So the argument that the ship was sank by an explosion in the torpedo room or by poor maitenence would be reasonable while the argument that it was attacke dis a little far fetched.

That is possibly due to the implotion. If something explode inside a submarine or anything else submerged, the heat from the fire and the shockwave by the explotion disrupt the metal structure - so the water pressure press the hull inwards.

Notice that Norwegian divers did cut the bow off the submarine before it was saved, in case you see pictures of the Kursk with no bow at all.

http://www.pulli.com/kursk/ provides an analyzis of the explotions and seismographic images. Quite interesting reading for those whose interested.

Reminds me of the rumours surrounding the Hunt for Red October. There was an urban myth floating about way back when that said Tom Clancy's book was so close to reality that he was "debriefed by the Pentagon" to find out his source. It wouldn't surprise me one way or the other as to its truth but my money is on some pr nitwit starting the rumour to drum up book and later movie sales.

There are many episodes that can be classified as myths of the modern time. For instance the trawler Gaul and the "Mehamn" accident where a civilian aircraft crashed and it was said that two UK Harriers were spotted in the no fly zone in the very north east of Norway. The second invenstigation enquirey has just been completed on that one (first one back in the mid 1980s).

In each episode there are many aspects that have to be taken into consideration. Some beyond our view of the world today...

Uh... has it been stated yet that everyone already agrees the Kursk went down because of the dangerous liquid peroxide fuel used to power its Torpedos? The Brittish already lost the HMS Sidon from the very same problem but the Russians kept using the fuel and with poor manaince the Kursk suffered. First torpedo went boom... then the whole torpedo room went off like the 4th of July.

Italian Guy said:
The hole is dented inwards.

Snub is right on this one. Like when you do a cannon-ball of the high dive you get the big splash because of all the water pushing back against the hole your body made. Imagine that force sized up where you blow up the entire force of a torpedo room... the sea-water is going to push back at you with EXTREME force.

Back