US deserter gives up on Canada, plans to return home

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Media: AFP
Byline: N/A
Date: Sept 30, 2006

OTTAWA, Sept 30, 2006 (AFP) - An American deserter who fled to Canada to
avoid more military service in Iraq will return to Kentucky this weekend to
reunite with his family and face his punishment, reports said Saturday.

"He needs to be home. This is not his home," his Canadian wife Gail Green,
who plans to accompany him, told public broadcaster CBC.

"He's in a state of limbo, he's been put through way too much and he needs
the support of his family," she said.

Darrell Anderson, 24, originally from Lexington, Kentucky, moved to Toronto
18 months ago after fleeing the United States to avoid serving a second tour
in a war he had come to resent.

"Rich Americans are making money off this war and used the poor youth of the
nation to fight it," said Anderson in March 2005 at an anti-war rally in
Toronto.

He is one of a handful of US soldiers who absconded over the Iraq war and
applied for refugee status in Canada.

But life in Canada proved too difficult. His refugee bids were denied, so he
cannot legally work here or receive proper health care, he told the CBC.

"I'm just tired of sitting in limbo. I just want to get on with my life,"
Anderson said.

He also lamented Canada's combat mission in Afghanistan, saying it echoed
the mistakes he claims the United States made in Iraq.

Anderson had served seven months in Baghdad and Najaf with the First Armored
Division, guarding police stations and other frontline work, before being
wounded by shrapnel.

He was awarded a Purple Heart, an honor given to wounded soldiers.

He is now scheduled to appear before a military tribunal at Fort Knox on
Tuesday, and could be given a dishonorable discharge, or possibly a lengthy
prison term, according to reports.

What's happened to death sentence for deserting the US military?

So you actually suggest to put this man to death just for deserting? Giving this man a dishonorable discharge and some jail time is enough.

You will probably find Fox, that it is only desertion in the face of the enemy that warrants a death sentence these days.
I'm no Expert on Military Law, but that is my opinion why this coward is not threatened with execution.

But that is what this guy is, a coward, all members of the United States Military Voulnteered their services, they all knew that in a time of war they may very well be called up to serve, wheather they support the war or not. If he wanted to choose wheather he gose to Iraq or not, he shouldn't have joined. Simple.

And besides, Executing this coward would only make him a martyr for his other Coward Mates. Let go back the US and live with the shame he deserves, as soon as his prison sentence for desertion is up

A Coward's end .....

The Death Sentence would ONLY be applicable if he had deserted in the face of the enemy. If I understand correctly, he was wounded, hospitalized and then deserted when he was told he would be returning to Iraq (not positive about this though).

Under the circumstances, a Dishonorable Discharge and some prison time would be applicable. This coward deserves nothing less ... a coward's end.

I strongly agree with him... but when you sign on that line, you sign your ass over to Uncle Sam, for better or worse. :salute:

He should get a dishonorable discharge, but jail time? I mean, damn, he's already put his life on the line serving in Iraq. He's a hell of a lot better than a draft-dodger in my book.

I strongly agree with him... but when you sign on that line, you sign your ass over to Uncle Sam, for better or worse. :salute:

He should get a dishonorable discharge, but jail time? I mean, damn, he's already put his life on the line serving in Iraq. He's a hell of a lot better than a draft-dodger in my book.

A deserter (or) a draft dodger ....... what's the difference?

They both run to keep from serving. As far as putting it 'on the line' .... so what, he still ran 'in the face of the enemy' as far as I am concerned (even if he wasn't on the battlefield).

I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished, I just don't understand your contempt for him. He was already in the **** fighting for us. If he couldn't do it any more, he would've just become a liability in the field. I'd rather have cowards run at home than run in the middle of a firefight.

There were alternatives to deserting .....

I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished, I just don't understand your contempt for him. He was already in the **** fighting for us. If he couldn't do it any more, he would've just become a liability in the field. I'd rather have cowards run at home than run in the middle of a firefight.

And I would rather he used the correct procedures to receive a Section 8 discharge (Medical other than physical - Honorable in nature).

IF he had reached the point that he could no longer be an asset in the field, psychiatrists and psychologists could have qualified him as "no longer fit for duty", and he would have been discharged under a Section 8 Discharge (at least it would have been an honorable discharge).

My contempt arises BECAUSE THERE WERE ALTERNATIVES TO DESERTING and he did NOT use them.

Back