US Congress – Job rating in recent national polls

phoenix80

Banned
http://www.pollingreport.com/CongJob.htm

AP/Ipsos poll shows 73% of Americans disapprove the Democrat controlled US Congress.

Gallup poll shows 71% disapproval rating for the US congress that is now controlled by the Dems.

----
Me thinks Americans must be very angry at the Democrats.

Last edited:

AP/Ipsos poll shows 73% of Americans disapprove the Democrat controlled US Congress.

Gallup poll shows 71% disapproval rating for the US congress that is now controlled by the Dems.

Be interesting to see what the numbers would be if the United States Congress (Controlled by the Democrats) Impeached and Removed from Office the sitting United States President, a President who most of the Contury views poorly.

----
Me thinks Americans must be very angry at the Democrats.

Do you know why? Because the Dems haven't honored their promise to end the Iraq war.

The public hates the Dems, but they hate the GOP even more. Just look at the 2008 polls

Last edited:
Do you know why? Because the Dems haven't honored their promise to end the Iraq war.

The public hates the Dems, but they hate the GOP even more. Just look at the 2008 polls

You know I am not sure, of the people I know of most were already sick of the political process and few of them expected any real action on Iraq, the general consensus was that the Democrats would make the noises and the White house would veto it but neither would or could push their case successfully.

I am almost of the opinion that many democratic countries have become so disillusioned with politics (well politicians) that they now see elections more as a way of punishing those they don't like and less about electing the best people for the job.

I am pretty sure Dems have zero chance in 2008 presidential elections. They have proven themselves to be weak on national security and ignorant on domestic politics. Hillary will get their nomination but she'll be defeated badly!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congress can't do anything to get the troops pulled out of Iraq besides cut any and all funding for the current operations and the Department of Defense, the problem with that option is that it abandons all troops in Iraq and leaves them with no way out while also leaving the military with no money to use to purchase the supplies needed to ensure the overall safety of the nation. The War Powers Act won't hold up if Congress tries to impose it because it infringes on the President's role as the Commander-in-Chief, he's called that because he is the highest authority. If Congress were at the top of the totem poll the President would simply be another link in the chain and not the C-in-C. So basically by making their goal "Getting out of Iraq" the Democrats gave themselves an impossible task and when they don't follow through on it, or really make a dent on it, they lose crucial votes. Plus there's the issue of the President as being seen as being responsible for defending the nation and almost all polls confirm that the American people do not have the same amount of confidence in the Democrats as they do the Republicans on issues of defense and national security. Which are kind of a big deal for the President.

Last edited:
Congress can't do anything to get the troops pulled out of Iraq besides cut any and all funding for the current operations and the Department of Defense, the problem with that option is that it abandons all troops in Iraq and leaves them with no way out while also leaving the military with no money to use to purchase the supplies needed to ensure the overall safety of the nation. The War Powers Act won't hold up if Congress tries to impose it because it infringes on the President's role as the Commander-in-Chief, he's called that because he is the highest authority. If Congress were at the top of the totem poll the President would simply be another link in the chain and not the C-in-C. So basically by making their goal "Getting out of Iraq" the Democrats gave themselves an impossible task and when they don't follow through on it, or really make a dent on it, they lose crucial votes. Plus there's the issue of the President as being seen as being responsible for defending the nation and almost all polls confirm that the American people do not have the same amount of confidence in the Democrats as they do the Republicans on issues of defense and national security. Which are kind of a big deal for the President.

I think the Dems shouldnt be trusted with matters of foreign policy at all. Prime examples are Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, Lindon B Johnson..... etc

Disasterous for both America and the rest of the world!

Damien and MontyB

The Dems can stop the War if they wanted to. They could withhold the funds that would stop the Bush war-machine dead in its tracks.

But it's an enormous gamble. Leaving our troops without funds puts them all at grave risk. Furthermore, The GOP would use that as proof the claim the "Dems don't support the troops". They have done so in the past.

The option is not entirely off the desk. If Bush uses the Iraq war to attack Iran its very possible the Dems might carry out the threat.

A safer plan is to do what they are doing right now. Continue funding the war and watch as the situation gets progressively worse and let Bush and the GOP get all the blame for it. That is why the GOP is so desperate to spin things in Iraq as "improving", but the public is not fooled anymore.

Right now, the public views the Democrats as the lesser of 2 evils for 2008 and the Dems are perfectly happy with that. There is no need to rock the boat with a risky political move.

The public views a Democratic Congress as the lesser of two evils. As I said before, most polling shows that the public views the Democrats as being weak on terror and national security, which are much bigger issues now than they were in 1996, the last time the Democrats won a Presidential election.

I also disagree that continuing with the Status Quo is a positive for the Democrats. The Democrats took control of Congress in 2006 on a get out of Iraq platform, if in 2008 spending on Iraq is at its same levels and our troop commitment isn't cut down significantly the Democrats will be seen as having failed their stated goals in 2006. I don't think that helps the Republicans so to say but I do see it as harming the Democrats.

Damien and MontyB

The Dems can stop the War if they wanted to. They could withhold the funds that would stop the Bush war-machine dead in its tracks.

But it's an enormous gamble. Leaving our troops without funds puts them all at grave risk. Furthermore, The GOP would use that as proof the claim the "Dems don't support the troops". They have done so in the past.

The option is not entirely off the desk. If Bush uses the Iraq war to attack Iran its very possible the Dems might carry out the threat.

A safer plan is to do what they are doing right now. Continue funding the war and watch as the situation gets progressively worse and let Bush and the GOP get all the blame for it. That is why the GOP is so desperate to spin things in Iraq as "improving", but the public is not fooled anymore.

Right now, the public views the Democrats as the lesser of 2 evils for 2008 and the Dems are perfectly happy with that. There is no need to rock the boat with a risky political move.

The Congress can spend a whole lot more money than has already been spent for Iraq, a whole lot more.
Raise Taxes to pay for the War and end all supplementals for Iraq, thus forcing the Iraq War to go on the books as a regular Budget Item, and Order the current Debt from the Iraq War paid back within a year, then order all Civilian Contractors out of Iraq, and stop all Civlian Contracts for such.
Start the Draft, put 6 Million Americans Under Arms for the Fight, (Drafting mostly College Grads) Order all new Equipment for the War, and require all Service Members going to Iraq go through 6 months of Desert Combat Training, heavy on Counter Insurgency, and IED Threat Training, and then see how the American Public really likes fighting the War in Iraq.

Bad numbers ... so what?

Okay ... so the polls show bad numbers for the Democrats ... so what.

Try a poll to see who the American public wants in the Congress right now and THEN see what the numbers show. The American public is disappointed with the job the Democrats have done so far (they wanted us out of Iraq immediately), and that isn't going to happen. BUT - the American public DOESN'T trust a Republican Congress to even try to remove troops as long as Bush is President ... they realise that Republicans seem to have the numbers to block ANY plan which has a 'date certain' or even the appearance of a deadline of any kind. Yes, the Democrats could stop this debacle dead in it's tracks ... but ... at what price? They would have to cut off ALL funding to the military in such a way as to ensure that no funds were available for Iraq ... they would be sending the very message that Republicans have used against the Democrats since the very first Democratic war opposition surfaced - "DEMOCRATS DON'T SUPPORT OUR TROOPS"

The Democrats have no choice BUT to allow Bush's war to continue and hope that more Republicans finally get fed up with GW's intransigency and cross the line to back a Democratic plan to remove our troops (even though GW Bush would veto it). With high enough numbers, the Congress COULD over-ride any veto via an 'acrross the party line' consensus.

Is it going to happen? ... I seriously doubt it ... the philosophies of the two parties are too far apart and it is too late for consensus to have a chance of succeeding.

Looks like this damn war will be around when the next President assumes his/her office. Whoever ends up in the Oval Office, I wish them luck ... THEY WILL NEED IT.

Numbers mean nothing. I'm more interested in the long term effect.
Are you sure ... I noticed a 'Kucinich' banner in your signature block ...
rofl.gif
... just kidding you.

Nancy & crew

Did anybody really expect anything else?

I can understand the Kucinich crowd being a liitle upset, can you say delusional? Being a fellow Clevelander and Vet - I am embarassed this guy comes from the same region of the world as I do... That's off point though.
:eek:fftopic:

The current Congress needs to be held accountable for their performance, period.

Election day is just over one year away, so, Congress will be held accountable, as the Congress always is.
I look for another Republican backlash, like the last Election, but time will tell.

I tend to be a bit more scenical - democrats and illegal aliens will show up and vote for the jackass, while republicans will find more important things to do that day than vote because there is not a true conservative on the ticket.

Back