us coast guard forgotten

mgm12!

why is it that when i sometimes search about armed forces the coast guard isn't mentioned!!!???? they are great yet people dont even know they are part of the military why is that??:salute2::???:

Probably for pretty obvious reasons!
I'm surprised that they are considered a part of the military. In most countries they are a part of the national police which would actually make a lot more sense.

I believe the USCG are under command of the Homeland Security.

Last edited:
they are under the command of homeland security but they are still one of the 5 armed forces

Traditionaly part of D. of Transportation. Life saving, maintance of navigation aids & maritime border guards. the US Border Patrol hasn't ever been considered to be military, so the C.G. transfer to the Navy in time of War puts them a notch above the USBP.

Ever heard of the U.S. Public Health Service or the Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration? They're even more forgotten than the USCG.

Buddy of mine is a LTJG in the USCG Reserve based out of Sector New York...some of the stories he was telling me are downright b@da$$ when it comes to some of the interdiction stuff he does.

yea the coast guard i've heard stories like that but when you go to a website for the military they don't mention the coast guard

Last edited:
Well I do know about NOAA and heard they're one of the uniformed services, though not part of the armed services.

yea the coast guard i've heard stories like that but when you go to a website for the military they don't mention the coast guard
Which website? Most of the "Military.com"-type websites do mention the Coast Guard, and the Coast Guard itself uses a .mil address.

I need to look it up, but I think USCG falls under Title 32 of the USC, which is the same part of the USC that the National Guard falls under -- hence, the ability to conduct law enforcement operations. The rest of DoD falls under Title 10 of the USC, which is specifically prohibited from law enforcement operations under the Posse Comitatus Act.

Edit: nope, I was wrong -- they're under Title 14. But I'm in no mood to read through it to see what their law enforcement powers are under that Title.

They ran a special on the Military channel a while back about the Coast guard in vietnam, i had no idea they had any thing like that as part of a role. One of the fellows even got the Medal of Honor, pretty wild. I also heard not sure that its a fact or not but I heard that getting in the Coast Guard can be tough.

God Bless all who serve !

wooooooo:jump::jump::jump: i went to the whole enlistment process for the coast guard i'm leaving in august next year :mrgreen:

well im between ast (aviation survival technician) also know as rescue swimmers or bm (boatswain mate)

wow rescue swimmer, thats one of the most difficult ways to go :)
i hope you make it, that would be one job to be proud off

So others may live :)

Back