US Claims British Troops Are Useless

And Sudan, Zulu-Wars, Boer War. Conflicts, like those afore-listed, to a great extent undertaken alone. It is one thing to disrespect your enemies, but if you want to disrespect your friends, at least be carefully selective. If it was a misunderstanding - then let us hear from Gates.

As i have already said, I also have grave reservations regarding the employment of our troops, but this is a political affair, the question of the porous Pakistan border region being the main problem. But this must be a major project.

All I have to say is when it comes to politicians and the officers that stay in the US with thier families while the real soldiers are neck deep in sand is F.U.B.A.R. My stepdad and me got into an arguement saying an officer is better when it comes to money and if I want to be an officer, I should get good grades. The thing is, I want to be out there, with the rest of them, fighting my ass off. I don't want to be some goldbricker or any lazy bum. If I ever did that, I couldn't call myself a soldier or even say I have bravery, because I wouldn't be out there.

All I have to say is when it comes to politicians and the officers that stay in the US with thier families while the real soldiers are neck deep in sand is F.U.B.A.R. My stepdad and me got into an arguement saying an officer is better when it comes to money and if I want to be an officer, I should get good grades. The thing is, I want to be out there, with the rest of them, fighting my ass off. I don't want to be some goldbricker or any lazy bum. If I ever did that, I couldn't call myself a soldier or even say I have bravery, because I wouldn't be out there.

Some of the finest and bravest men I've ever been privileged to know were officers.

You have a lot of assumptions, my young friend. I do not mean that as an insult in any way - yours is a prodigy of typifying and stereotyping.

The officers in the US Military, while joked about amongst us non-coms considerably, are the leaders that drive the most powerful military in the world. That says something. Not all are respected, but neither are all enlisted men respected. The officer is the leader of men the average age of 21, and theirs is not the cake walk it might appear to be on the surface. "Out there, fighting [your] ass off" is the same job we all do, regardless of rank.

And if you think going into a hot area makes you brave, well my friend, you'll learn that being a REAL man isn't about standing up John Wayne style as millions of bullets fly over your head from never-emptying magazines shouting, "Follow Me!" Going to war doesn't make you brave. It just makes you a target.

I am not suggesting you succumb to your father's wishes for your life, but should you decide against OCS, do so for the right reasons. NOT for artificial reasons brought about by media hype and Hollywierd story lines.

Yes and don't discount the contributions made behind the scenes either.
Your ammunition, weather report, spare parts, fuel, intel, evac coordination, artillery, etc. are all the result of a lot of hard work.
Without them, your odds are as good as the enemy's... except worse because they're fighting on home ground.
Not to mention even simple things like the fact that you got equipment.
And I'm saying that as a guy who served in a rifle company.

I'd say that as someone who's never served in the military in any capacity. Your opinions and oh so knowledgeable take on officers and their duties ain't worth a bucket of warm p.....spit.

Having never served in combat or otherwise you don't know squat about an officers duties. I guarentee you that combat arms officers (Infantry, Artillery, Tankers, AAV'S Combat Engineers, and to a lesser extent now Motor T and MP) are chewin the same dirt and taken the same risk as their troops especially at the company grade level. Who do think flys the Helo's and fastmovers that provide air support? Officers. Who fly's the Medevacs? Officers. What about the Doctors and Nurses that patch you up? Yeah thats right. Officers.

My advice to you Junior is to shut your pie hole and learn a little bit before you classify anyone be it the PFC in Supply or the Second John Platoon leader a gold brick or a lazy bum. You ain't earned that right. You ain't earned Jack.

Last edited:
Hell even a Private fresh out of boot camp outranks him.
Whatever, he's here to learn isn't he?
Everyone can have false assumptions. I know I did. But you enter and you change (mostly for the better).
Justin, take the words of these fine men here to heart. Learn from the forum and you will have a better understanding of the services.
And like 03 said, you have to earn your right to say a lot of things. I've served but still there are many things I don't believe I have the right to say. For example if someone's been to Iraq and has an opinion about it, I shut up and listen because he or she has earned the right to talk about it while I have not. I'm trying to fix this, but trying isn't doing so until I make it (if I do manage to do so in time) I'll zip it and listen when a Iraq or Afghanistan Vet talks.
And applying that to life in general, that line from Jarhead, "No speech is free. You pay for every word you say." I think the movie's pretty inaccurate at some points... but don't take my word for it. I wasn't there. But that one line I thought was golden.

Here's something interesting I thought up of...
before you join, watch "A Few Good Men." Then a year after you've joined, watch "A Few Good Men." You'll see how you have changed over the course of a year.

This guy is asking to tear NATO apart, I read to the 3rd paragraph, and dropped it, personally I (Sukio) think the Brits and the Poles, are doing a terrific job, along with the rest of NATO forces in the middle east. I am glad they are on our side. The only thing that I am questioning is, what is ISAF?

I know but, what is their mission, I have seen news footage, on C Span, with American Officers talking to the press with ISAF patches on their ACUs, not only that, and the articles on NATO's website, showing ISAF utility vehicles racing through the desert.

But I am still shocked that Honorable Robert Gates has the nerve to tell the British, who have endured years of war in the Middle East just like the U.S., that they are not doing a good job.

I did not serve the army (the history arranged so: long story), but there are few things I think:
1) untill the war is not won - no blames towards allies, event if allies are to blame. Once the war is over, generals may sit round the table, drink beer and diskuss who was "useless" and why;
2) It is too radical to say coutry X troops were useless. Did they sit in their barracks taking no part in action?
3) as it was mentyioned - is it intended to tear NATO? Jeez, NATO experience some troubles today and now - is it supposed a verbal civil war to commence between allies? If allies wage a civil war, what would enemy tell? It will certainly applause: good, you fight amongst yourselves and it would be Al-Qaeda that would benefit it.
And to finish this long post: if honourable General thinks UK troops are useless - let him come to any British unit and command it. Lead that uinit to battle, care about wounded, ask for munition, care about soldiers, plan your attacks, consider your defence...
Maybe then he would realise something not from the maps or PC - from real battlefield?

As well as winning the hearts and minds of the Afghans you've got to win the hearts and the minds of your allies, a concept Mr Gates (and hopefully him alone) has made a complete balls up of.

"come on.. it's the daily mail......."
Lol! One of the best quotes of 2008!

Last edited:
It's a hell of a claim. The Brits have a huge wealth of counter-insurgency background, with some very notable success. Just like the Aussie and New Zealanders. I mean we've had Malaya, Borneo, Vietnam, Cambodia, Irian Jaya, East Timor, Bouganville and the Solomon Islands.... and that's plenty of counter-insurgency.

The Brits do things very differently to the American approach, and the doctrine aligns more closely with the Australian methodology. But for some spook to say that it isn't working is stupid (and politically harmful). I believe that the Brits have taken a hell of a lot in the Stan, and the methods are working. The methods may not be as high-impact as the US tactics, but the soft-hat approach does work... it works for us.

The soft hat in fact is probably the right way. You're applying force when and where it is necessary but you're not showing off your entire arsenal everywhere. That pisses people off... and you don't want a supply of pissed off people.

Back