US budget practices would be illegal for businesses

Duty Honor Country

It seems the government has a big case of "do as I say, not as I do" when it comes to budgeting. We all remember the nasty enron fallout where the government forced businesses to certify their accounting practices. Well, when it comes to the federal budget, the government is taking lessons from the Enron executives. Medicare, Social Security and federal pensions are not included when the government projects the deficit figures. So last year's $318 billion deficit would actually be over $3 trillion according to USA Today if all government expenses were included. Bill Clinton's $500 billion surplus would actually be a $400 billion deficit.

My feelings are that this is the true side of government and politics. Everyone is to blame. The $3 trillion dollar deficit is the result of a failed entitlement system. Our government continues to live in a fantasy world where it came make up its own rules to hide the truth. It is quote appalling that the government uses accounting practices that are illegal for companies. We are in for some hard times in the future

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-08-02-deficit-usat_x.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that "provide for the common welfare" meant raising generation after generation of welfare recipients. The public school system, becoming landholders by imminent domain, taxing incomes, State penal systems oversight, setting speed limits in States by withholding highway funds from the non compliant, a lot has been added to providing protection for the Country from enemies both foreign and domestic.

Back