US Backed Death Squads in Iraq

bulldogg

Milforum's Bouncer
The Salvador option
By Scott Ritter

Tuesday 25 January 2005, 11:49 Makka Time, 8:49 GMT

By any standard, the ongoing American occupation of Iraq is a disaster.

The highly vaunted US military machine, laurelled and praised for its historic march on Baghdad in March and April of 2003, today finds itself a broken force, on the defensive in a land that it may occupy in part, but does not control.

The all-out offensive to break the back of the resistance in Falluja has failed, leaving a city destroyed by American firepower, and still very much in the grips of the anti-American fighters.

The same is true of Mosul, Samarra, or any other location where the US military has undertaken "decisive" action against the fighters, only to find that, within days, the fighting has returned, stronger than ever.

And yet, it now appears as if the United States, in an effort to take the offensive against the fighters in Iraq, is prepared to compound its past mistakes in Iraq by embarking on a new course of action derived from some of the darkest, and most embarrassing moments of America's modern history.

According to press accounts, the Pentagon is considering the organisation, training and equipping of so-called death squads, teams of Iraqi assassins who would be used to infiltrate and eliminate the leadership of the Iraqi resistance.

MORE>>>
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/ADCA48CC-9307-466B-BA18-82724CAA7484.htm

The Iraqis that I knew and have talked to, as long as a year ago, supported the need for death squads to attack the problem head-to-head. As far as I'm concerned, this is long overdue!

As for Ritter, he's without a doubt, a dipstick!

Death squads as a tool for democracy? :shock: I cannot comment further since political discussions on the board have been suspended at this time. :cen:

bulldogg said:
Death squads as a tool for democracy? :shock: I cannot comment further since political discussions on the board have been suspended at this time. :cen:

It's been opened again now... :)

Everything Ritter writes is politically charged, and with extreme bias at that. How can one comment on the content of the article and not lean one way or the other? Even bashing the writer reflects on the differences of opinion between the reader and the writer.

As I mentioned previously, the idea of death squads has been around alot longer than Ritter would have the reader think and it certainly wasn't dreamt up by anyone but the Iraqis themselves. These are the facts and will hopefully illuminate on the warped, attempted implications made in the article as well as the credibility of the writer.

MarineGtoACommo said:
Everything Ritter writes is politically charged...
Agree with you on that one so I have, in accordance with forum rules, opened up this thread for discussion in the Political Forum.

Back