US Army "Steel pot" helmet, how old is it ???

CavScout

I was going through a local "thrift store" the other day and came across a US Army steel pot helmet and I bought it. It has the liner in it also and it was only $1.99. No dents or holes and it is still O.D. green. Does any one know if there are any markings any where on it that will date in some way or on the liner? Or a web site that will show the different mods (if any) to that style of helmet over the years. Thanks folks.

Liners were replaced often so nothing on that is going to help you. The fact that there are no dents in it would seem to indicate it was of a later make but no guarantee of that either. They were painted and repainted many times so being completely OD is not a sign of age. The only thing I can tell you for sure is that they were first issued in 1942 and went out of service in the regulars about 1984 and in the reserves about 1986.

True, I went tthrough OSUT with a steel pot and got a "Kevlar
" helm in my first duty station. I was just wondering for the sake of curiousity...the helmet had obviously been setting for awhile....cobwebs a mile long inside the thing....so it has me curious...the stories it might tell yaknow?

Cadet Airman Adam Seaman said:
Dependong on the shape of the helmet will tell you what era its from.

Thats my question, is there a web site some where that shows the various permutations of the "steel pot" over time? I mean, is there a 50's era chin strap versus a 70's? Did the brim on the 80's era turn up at a different point than a 40's. Or did they use the exact same design for 40 years?

Back