US Army Rangers SF?

Tovarish1

Would you consider the US Army Rangers to be Special Forces? I know they're unconventional but still... are they?

Special Forces are Special Forces

Rangers are Rangers

Rangers are however a tier asset to SOCOM.

Rangers are light infantry assault troops. They take airfields, conduct raids, etc, etc.

so are they like our Belgian Para-commandos? or dont they receive commando training?

Para-commandos, do receive commando training, but are not "special forces". it is the Belgian Special forces group that does those missions.

Yes I'd say their comparison with Belgian Paracommandos would be quite accurate.

I'd say the comparison is accurate also, as long as it's being made with the 75TH Regt and leaving out all the Ranger Qualified individuals who have never served in the Bn's.

I do believe they are trained in unconventional warfare. Unless I'm seriously mistaken.

Yes and no. They are trained in COIN and booby traps and deep penetration missons. But they are not trained to Special Forces level, in that they can conduct the same type mission. What they are is a hard hitting highly trained light infantry force capable of different methods of insertion and extraction. SOCOM uses them when they need company level highly trained forces.

Off topic people... don't want trouble from mods/admins ={

Let me worry about that.

i mean like books about them that some of our members might have read themselfs :)
www.ar.com but read only, don't post on the site... if YOU are not a ranger they don't want you there.

I'm just gonna take a guess at what COIN stands for... Covert Operations In ???
Guessing as a civilian will make you look stupid.

Guessing as a Marine might get you and your buddies killed.

Personally, I would refrain from guessing... just ask.

:mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back