US Army/Marine Corps Weapons Platoon Structure

Ajax83

Hey guys,

Firstly, I apologise in advance if this thread is in the wrong section and if there is already a post that fulfills my need (I checked and couldn't find one).

I am researching battalion strength and lower modern militaries (mainly commonwealth countries, French and US models) and I am having a lot of difficulty finding the specifics of how the US Army and Marine Corps structures their weapons platoons.

So far I have found mortar squad, machine gun squad, anti-tank squad and command element, but no specifics on how many men in each squad, maning the weapon system, ranks, personal firearms etc...

If there is anyone that has this information it would be much appreciated if you could post it. I am lookig for circa. 2000-2010 to be specific.

Thaks you kindly,

Ajax83 :)

Loose lips sink ships

You've got to be kidding me right?

If I understand my the information I have researched thus far what I'm asking for isn't anything I couldn't find in a Field Manual that has been declassifed.

You're right - this is NOT anything secret. Try a Google search and it should turn up what you want.
It's been far too long since I was in to have anything up-to-date. But, a platoon is usually made up of four squads plus a platoon headquarters group of 3 or 4. And, a company is usually made up of four squads with a headquarters squad.
I'm sure the composition of each depends upon the unit's mission and TO&E [Table 0f Organization and Equipment] which is probably the best search option for you.
Good luck!

And the differences in US Army amd Marine doctrine can be fully appreciated if you study the city fighting in Fallujah.
Both complimented each other and worked exceptiionally well!

Much appreciated gentleman.

@lvcabbie: I've done a lot of googling on the subject and I found a DVD on amazon that dated 2010 with 435 declassfied field manuals. I bought it, but it's not coming until sometime next week and I'm being a little [FONT=&quot]impatient. Looks like a good product if anyone is interested. Thanks anyway mate.

@03USMC: Thanks mate. I think I had found one of these, but the others are fresh.

Much appreciated.

[/FONT]

Much appreciated gentleman.

@lvcabbie: I've done a lot of googling on the subject and I found a DVD on amazon that dated 2010 with 435 declassfied field manuals. I bought it, but it's not coming until sometime next week and I'm being a little [FONT=&quot]impatient. Looks like a good product if anyone is interested. Thanks anyway mate.

@03USMC: Thanks mate. I think I had found one of these, but the others are fresh.

Much appreciated.

[/FONT]

We try to please.:wink:

And the differences in US Army amd Marine doctrine can be fully appreciated if you study the city fighting in Fallujah.
Both complimented each other and worked exceptiionally well!

sure, if by "complimented each other" you mean the US Army continually bailed the USMC out...

LOL@ you guys... do a little bit of research. The informations available.

Here you go: http://carl.army.mil/download/csipubs/matthews_fajr.pdf

Back on topic: The Army doesn't have weapon platoons. But they have had Machine Gun Battalions. Infact, the 7th Machine Gun Battlaion stopped the Germans at Château-Thierry, but most people probably wouldn't know that because the media gave the credit to Marines(even though they weren't even part of the battle)

Last edited:
Yeah... and 10th Mountain, Malaysians and Pakistanis bailed out Rangers and Delta Force. So what's it prove? It proves that you're a dumbass.

Yeah... and 10th Mountain, Malaysians and Pakistanis bailed out Rangers and Delta Force. So what's it prove? It proves that you're a dumbass.

You seem upset lol. It wasn't entire Divisions and Regiments of Rangers/CAG that were "bailed out"(they actually accomplished their mission within the first half hr....) Unfortunaetly for you fanboys, the same can't be said about the Corps, which actually went to the Army for help to accomplish their mission. Did you know 1Mardiv's main effort's main effort was an Army Unit? Meaning.... the regiment that the 1st Marine Division chose to lead the way to get the job done chose an Army unit to lead the way to get the job done. IJS

Last edited:
That's hilarious dude.
You dug up one obscure report written by a former US Army officer to make you feel better.

Really? The Marines didn't even fight at Belleau Wood? Hmmm... what I do know is this. Where I have trained with Army and Marines, the average standard of the US Marine was higher. But on that note, met some excellent Army soldiers as well. Some of my best friends are Army.

Last edited:
LOL@ you guys... do a little bit of research. The informations available.

Here you go: http://carl.army.mil/download/csipubs/matthews_fajr.pdf

Back on topic: The Army doesn't have weapon platoons. But they have had Machine Gun Battalions. Infact, the 7th Machine Gun Battlaion stopped the Germans at Château-Thierry, but most people probably wouldn't know that because the media gave the credit to Marines(even though they weren't even part of the battle)

Because the Army censors, censored out all Army unit references but didn't censor units from the Marine Brigade, because it wasn't covered in the regs they followed.

So blame the Army censors. The Marines were part of 2nd ID. Army dropped the censor ball, and apparently still butt hurt about the fumble.

That's hilarious dude...

Really? The Marines didn't even fight at Belleau Wood? Hmmm... what I do know is this. Where I have trained with Army and Marines, the average standard of the US Marine was higher. But on that note, met some excellent Army soldiers as well. Some of my best friends are Army.

You're an idiot. Château-Thierry=/= Belleau Woods. So i'll say it again, NO there were NO MARINES in Château-Thierry.

Who cares if the Army censored their units names for opsec? You guys sure didn't stop the media from giving you the credit for battles you weren't even a part of.

So... "Germans stopped by God and a few good Soldiers" :)

You're an idiot. Château-Thierry=/= Belleau Woods. So i'll say it again, NO there were NO MARINES in Château-Thierry.

Who cares if the Army censored their units names for opsec? You guys sure didn't stop the media from giving you the credit for battles you weren't even a part of.

So... "Germans stopped by God and a few good Soldiers" :)

Call someone else an idiot. I dare ya Killer.

Back