US Army: Guantánamo abuse 'allowable'

Duty Honor Country

Jamie Wilson in Washington
Thursday July 14, 2005
The Guardian

Interrogators at Guantánamo Bay degraded and abused a key prisoner, forcing him to wear a bra and threatening him with a dog, military investigators claimed yesterday.

But in a military report pre sented before the Senate armed services committee, the investigators said the treatment of the Saudi man, described as the "20th hijacker" in the September 11 attacks, did not amount to torture.

The man was not named during the hearing, but the Pentagon identified him as Mohamed al-Qahtani. The Senate panel heard that he was forced to wear a leash and subjected to investigations for up to 20 hours a day.

Interrogators at Guantánamo Bay degraded and abused a key prisoner, forcing him to wear a bra and threatening him with a dog, military investigators claimed yesterday.

But in a military report pre sented before the Senate armed services committee, the investigators said the treatment of the Saudi man, described as the "20th hijacker" in the September 11 attacks, did not amount to torture.

The man was not named during the hearing, but the Pentagon identified him as Mohamed al-Qahtani. The Senate panel heard that he was forced to wear a leash and subjected to investigations for up to 20 hours a day.

Article continues
He was also told by interrogators he was a homosexual, forced to dance with a male interrogator, and told his mother and sister were whores.

Lieutenant General Randall Schmidt, who headed the investigation into abuse of prisoners, concluded that the man was subjected to "abusive and degrading treatment". The Pentagon authorised the techniques used, he said.

He added: "As the bottom line, though, we found no torture. Detention and interrogation operations were safe, secure and humane."

Republican senator John McCain, who was taken prisoner and abused during the Vietnam war, responded: "Humane treatment might be in the eye of the beholder."

General Bantz Craddock, who was responsible for the prison camp in Cuba, told the hearing he declined to heed his investigators' recommendation to punish Major General Geoffrey Miller, the prison's commander.

Gen Craddock said the interrogation "did not result in any violation of a US law or policy."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/guantanamo/story/0,13743,1528262,00.html

Doody said:
He was also told by interrogators he was a homosexual, forced to dance with a male interrogator, and told his mother and sister were whores.

Substitute the 1st Interrogator for Drill Instructor and Second for Recruit and you just described Recruit Training for me, circa 1984. Funny I didn't feel tortured. But he's lucky they didn't question the size of his tool.

03USMC said:
Doody said:

Substitute the 1st Interrogator for Drill Instructor and Second for Recruit and you just described Recruit Training for me, circa 1984. Funny I didn't feel tortured. But he's lucky they didn't question the size of his tool.

Interesting. Can you confirm RT is so hard? I'd like to know more about it.

Recruit Training and Prisoner Harrassment

Come on now. If I were a prisoner at Guantanamo Bay, I'd remember the basics:

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me. So please don't throw sticks and stones. Please, Please don't throw sticks and stones!!

Oh, and please don't pee on my holy book. It's only worth the paper it's printed on, and doesn't have any spiritual value that transcends anything a human could do to it. But if you pee on it, I may have to kill you, or accuse you of committing a hate crime in Geneva.

Can I get an ACLU Lawyer?

Back