Us Army for Foreign People

Amaury

Hello

I'm french and i'm 19 years old and i would like to know if it's possible to join the us army for foreign citizen ? I've got not green card. I' have the "baccalaureat" the national exam you past when you have 18 years old.
In France with this exam it's possible to became a "sous officier" the level before officer and we can became an officer with interne exam with this.
It's possible to became a officer easily when you join the us as simple soldier (in the case of they accept foreign people !!)

Thanks a lot

You have to have a green Card, to enlist.

You have to be a US Citizen to be a commissioned or Warrant Officer.

Really. I think we could win the american nationality by the army like the foreign legion in France.

Used to be able to under the old rules. Now you must be a resident alien to enlist (not a citizen) then you can apply for citizenship. Officer's must be citizens.

In addition to U.S. citizenship, you have to a Bachelors Degree from a University/College to become a commissioned officer. Even if you are coming up from the enlisted ranks.

I also want to join US military and I'm wondering how can I get a green card and if I enlist can I finish college and still be in training cause I want to be an officer but I don't want to join at 24-25 cause it would be much easier to go trough basic while I'm still young

I hope this helps, Dagon. to immigrate to the USA you must either have family here, marry a citizen, or apply for the Diversity Lottery. Most likely you'll be in the last category.

The Diversity Lottery is just that, a lottery. You apply and wait patiently to see if your number is drawn. Not all countries can participate in the Diversity Lottery. So here is the link that explains the process. I have no idea what the statistics are for getting a VISA this way.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1318.html

Now on to your second question. Yes you can enlist and attend night courses or online to get your university degree in your spare time. But the military probably isn't going to send you full time unless you are a commissioned officer and a advanced degree is necessary in a field or qualify for a specific program.

Best of luck

Things changed since this question was asked last?

Then not all nations were able to partake in the green card lottery (or perhaps it was slanted).
At any rate, that´s your option.

IF you decide this is the route for you keep in mind the time it takes to become a citizen and that some jobs in the Army/Navy/Marines are age sensitive.
Better get an early start if you decide this is for you.

Good luck.
//KJ.

You really can't count on the GC lottery.
You just have to get a degree in something that is extremely high demand in the US. One of those jobs that are considered jobs that "a US citizen cannot do, or will not do."
There is a work visa for "unskilled" workers which takes about 5 years to produce a Green Card. General employment also produces a Green Card in 5 years but the liklihood of a regular business employing you is next to nothing and the odds that they will hang onto you for 5 years is just as slim. If they fire you, there is a grace period (how long, I don't know and I think it depends on your country of citizenship as well) but it's not going to be enough to get a new job. There are also skilled work that have a shortage in the US. Primarily these are teaching and nursing. If you do this sort of work in an area where it is in high demand, that's usually a way as well. Financial sector jobs were also high demand jobs but I don't know how the picture is right now with the crash.
Hope that helps.

Back