US Army Comercials

Spyfly said:
lol....i am not on any active duty....i guess i need to change that....well....you got a point there.....but my point was also that the comercials are not showing that you have to kill people....well and its hard to kill while eating a hamburger.....and anyway what did i do to you that you went so berserker on me?? or maybe are you the one in charge of making those comercials?? or maybe is it your son that is playing in them?

He went "berserker" (a bit of an overstatement in my opinion :lol: ) on you because of the (perhaps) arguable absurdity of your position, as Future said.

Before I respond to your silly statements would you tell me how old you are? If I am speaking to a child, I will make an allowance for that but just to a limited extent. If my first response to you sounded silly then you now know how your post sounded to me. It's called sarcasm. Trust me when I tell you that I did not go "beserker" on you. I could but we'd both be banned I'm sure. You made ludicrous statements about the organization I worked for for 22 years. Nobody I know ever joined the Army without knowing that it's purpose is to defend the country. By the time you're old enough to enlist (18), it is assumed that you know what an army does.
WARNING SACARCASM ALERT:
It would be like joining the Navy and being surprised that they have ships or joining the Air Force and finding out that those bombs are meant to kill people. SARCASM OFF
Fighting is what the Army and the rest of the military does and everybody knows that. What a potential recruit might want to know is "what's in it for me?" and that's what the commercials show. Each branch of the service presents its benefits and selling points. Things like pride and love of country and the desire to serve your fellow countrymen, the desire to follow in the footsteps of the brave people that went before you.
Oh BTW, my son is not playing at anything these days. He is deployed in Iraq at the moment, thank you. That's the last comment I want to hear from you about my son. I hope you understand.
How about you what are you doing these days?

SpyFly, bring another member's family into a discussion like that and you're gone. That will NOT tolerated on this board.

When I see an Army commercial I usualy like to stick around and watch it. I find them "exciting" if you could say that and if you don't know the bad side of joining the military, maybe you should take a look at something :roll: And besides the point of the commercial is to spark an interest. Then, you see a recruiter and he will tell you mainly what you need to know.

lol....well you are a little bit touchy about this subject. Does the age matter to you....maybe im 13 and maybe im 40. Did i insult any of your family member?? No i did not so calm yourself people. If it makes you feel any better you can insult me. Well i know few people who sign to us army with only reason to shoot a little bit. Those commercials are for people who do not need any requirements except physical. And sorry for the word "berzerker", sometimes i am choosing the wrong words. Insulting me for that is just not in place. Think about a drug commercial where they would only show the nice stuff about it...Well no i got to go because kindergarden begins and my teacher doesent like when im late :lol:

Yes Spyfly your age does matter to me. If you are very young, I would not expect mature posts from you and that would be OK. I wish you'd fill out your profile with a bit more detail. Are you an American? I'd like to know who is criticizing my Army and it's commercials.
You derided the commercials and asked if my son was in them. Was that a compliment that I missed? I doubt it. If it was not intended that way, just say so.
You said
Well i know few people who sign to us army with only reason to shoot a little bit.
If English is not your primary language I can allow for this sentence and I'd just ask for clarification when I don't understand what you have written. What your sentence says to me is that you don't know many people who enlisted in the U.S. Army for a chance to get a little rifle practice. Somehow I really don't think you meant that. Did you mean that you know more than a few people who have enlisted in the U.S. Army just to fire weapons?
Our Army requires more than just physical fitness, I can guarantee you that and for you to claim that it doesn't is an insult.
I think we have a failure to communicate. No, I am not overly sensitive to unintentional insults and derisions however, if you are fully aware of the exact meaning of what you have posted, then yes I do have a problem with that because it is intentional.
I was not insulting you for using the word berserker but it's just that the proper form of the word would have been berserk.
Please clarify if you are an American and please fill in some of the missing information in your profile for all of our edification. It will go a long way toward preventing future misunderstandings.

Okay people, these things are commercials. All commercials are meant for one thing and one thing only; to sell a product. In this case it's the Army, the one showing on my TV right now is trying to sell me a car. It states how cheap the car is, and how safe, but it doesn't say how often it brakes down, or how high the risk is of the car being stolen from you.

That's what commercials do; they give you the positive view on a product, to get you to do whatever it is they want you to do, wether that is joining the Army, donating money to Greenpeace, or buying a car.

ItalianGuy4US asked what berserker means. The dictionary defines the word berserker as one of a band of ancient Norse warriors legendary for their savagery and reckless frenzy in battle.
Alertantively the word berserk means:
1. Destructively or frenetically violent: a berserk worker who started smashing all the windows.
2. Mentally or emotionally upset; deranged: berserk with grief.
3. Informally it means unrestrained, as with enthusiasm or appetite; wild: berserk over chocolates.

Word History: When we say that we are going berserk, we may not realize how extreme a state this might be. Our adjective comes from the noun berserker, or berserk, which is from the Old Norse word berserkr, “a wild warrior or champion.” Such warriors wore hides of bears, which explains the probable origin of berserkr as a compound of *bera, “bear,” and serkr, “shirt, coat.” These berserkers became frenzied in battle, howling like animals, foaming at the mouth, and biting the edges of their iron shields. Berserker is first recorded in English in the early 19th century, long after these wild warriors ceased to exist.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=berserk

Spyfly said:
lol....well you are a little bit touchy about this subject. Does the age matter to you....maybe im 13 and maybe im 40. Did i insult any of your family member?? No i did not so calm yourself people. If it makes you feel any better you can insult me. Well i know few people who sign to us army with only reason to shoot a little bit. Those commercials are for people who do not need any requirements except physical.

We are not touchy "about this subject," some of us are getting a bit annoyed about your insulting, patronizing (not sure what exactly you believe your place is to condescend to anyone here is) presentation of your position and absolute refusal to listen to any of the explanations about what the purpose is behind these commercials. If your purpose here is solely to spark controversy, you had better adjust fire.

ok....i think you are overeacting on this one...i am not from usa....but i have lived there for couple years. I am planning on moving back. I do not have to tell you my country and it is none of your buisness. I would like to ask you not to insult my english even if it is at level of a kid. Wow....good job about finding out what the word means exactly. I did not insuly any of your family memebers and if you took it this way than im sorry. I think you know exactly what i meant even if it was written badly. Or didnt you? I agree completely with 1217. 1217 cleared my mind about it a little bit wihthout being so agressive. I respect you for that ;) . I will not state facts about me because i dont see why does everbody need to know. And as far as i know there is nothing said about writing perfectly on this site.

Spyfly said:
ok....i think you are overeacting on this one...i am not from usa....but i have lived there for couple years. I am planning on moving back. I do not have to tell you my country and it is none of your buisness. I would like to ask you not to insult my english even if it is at level of a kid. Wow....good job about finding out what the word means exactly. I did not insuly any of your family memebers and if you took it this way than im sorry. I think you know exactly what i meant even if it was written badly. Or didnt you? I agree completely with 1217. 1217 cleared my mind about it a little bit wihthout being so agressive. I respect you for that ;) . I will not state facts about me because i dont see why does everbody need to know. And as far as i know there is nothing said about writing perfectly on this site.

DTop explained why he wanted to know what country you were from (to see what your first language is, which would explain some of the apparent misunderstandings between you all) and what your age is (again, to help explain some misunderstandings and excuse what, to our minds, might come across as a certain irrationality or naivety in your position). From your posts, it appeared to me at first that you were an American, considering your claim to know so many people who had gone into the service, and the fact that United States military commercials probably don't get much play overseas.
The misunderstandings I mentioned above include the insult to DTop's son, which, although unintentional, came across as very offensive, and a simple "I'm from Sweden/English isn't my first language/what have you, and I'm sorry that my point came out wrong" would have been more than sufficient satisfaction for DTop I'm sure.

Spyfly said:
agree completely with 1217. 1217 cleared my mind about it a little bit wihthout being so agressive. ;)
I have my good days.... :lol: tnx for the compliment.

This is just great. Yesterday i wrote everything you wanted to know and today i look on the forum and my message is not there. I am pretty sure that i put it down on the forum. Well anyway if you are so curious i think i got it in my profile.

Mod edit: Your reply has been split off and moved to the Welcome Center to serve as your introduction.

Spyfly said:
This is just great. Yesterday i wrote everything you wanted to know and today i look on the forum and my message is not there. I am pretty sure that i put it down on the forum. Well anyway if you are so curious i think i got it in my profile.

Mod edit: Your reply has been split off and moved to the Welcome Center to serve as your introduction.
Misunderstanding after misunderstanding. It can only go better from here. :D ;)

Why is all that done without my permission?

Mod edit: Because we wanted to. Booga booga, Big Brother. ;) :lol:

Spyfly said:
Why is all that done without my permission?

I moved it to the welcoming center because that is the right place for an introduction..
But I forgot to add that info here.
Sorry.. :oops:

No problem. It just got me a little confused. I like the Mod edits.

Mod edit: Thank you. -Redneck :lol:
Admin edit: No problem. -Redleg ;)

Back