US Army Boots (and other gear)

mmarsh

Got a couple of questions concerning US Army boots.

First of all is a general question...

I see a lot of soldiers, marines, etc saying they bought 'x' brand of boots (or other equipment) for when they are on a mission in A-Stan or Iraq etc...

WTF?

Maybe its just me, but isn't it inherently wrong that military personnel or LEO have to go to the civilian markets to purchase gear they army should be giving for free as part of their job? I mean its not like these guys are millionaires with free money to spend, it sounds like we are returning back to the 18th century when soldiers such as the British and Prussian armies were required to purchase their own uniform, which came right out of their signing bonuses. A way the governments could get back the money the money they spent on young men risking their necks.

I know the military issues boots, but why are our boys having to buy new ones using their own means?

We have $664 Billion Budget and the DOD has no problem spending $130 million on a single FA-35A but can't buy our guys decent footwear (or other clothing or gear)? Am I missing something here? Secondly aren't there regulations about using non-military issue equipment in country or can someone just do a tour in Afghanistan my Air Jordans?

Second part of the question...

I am actual in the market for a good pair of boots (my never worn Nike's disintegrated the first time they actually touched snow. Hey Phil Knight -there's ''Made in China for you!'', you ass****!

I never wore military boots and was always curious what they were like. I am looking for a good lightwight water/snow-resistant boots. For outdoors and maybe a little air soft.

I am curious to what our serving members have any recommendations on a type or a supplier?

I’ve been retired for a long time but I imagine the reason soldiers buy off the shelf equipment is the same now as it was in my time.

We bought CORCORAN Jump boots, when our issue boots were very good, as a status symbol or as a matter of pride.

We had our fatigues highly starched and had creases sewn into them, again as a sign of pride in our appearance and in our profession.

In Viet Nam we acquired all manner of non issue equipment, from edged tools/weapons, optics, even side arms and shotguns.

In WWII I’ve read that many infantry men, again, carried all kinds of non issue equipment and at the battle of the Little Big Horn many of Custer’s Officers used non issue weapons.

In a military environment, where standardization is a goal, any thing a soldier can do to stand out can be very appealing.

Also, whether it is true or not, the soldier may think the commercial equipment is somehow superior to the issue items.

Why do people buy jeans costing 100’s of dollars when they are no better then Walmarts $20 brand?

I never wore military boots and was always curious what they were like. I am looking for a good lightwight water/snow-resistant boots. For outdoors and maybe a little air soft.

I am curious to what our serving members have any recommendations on a type or a supplier?
For civilian use, I recommend you Meindl Army Pro GTX. A little expensive but superb German quality.

Back