US 7th Division 55th Inf WWI

Did you have relatives serving with the division?
You seem to have a specific interest in these guys.

Yes, my grandfather was in the 7th Division 55th Infantry Headquarters Co. The pictures posted here are of items belonging to him. He was the gunner on a one pound gun platoon. He was at the front in October and was injured as his platoon was rotated out of the front about November 4th or 5th and went to a French hospital on the 6th. He never went back to his company and returned to the States in April 1919.

The patch was on his uniform with the collar discs and stripe. I have posted his dog tags and his billet card from the USS Leviathan previously and his uniform coat. The coat and pants were not salvageable. It was not in any condition that could be saved for display.

I have all the buttons from the coat and pants and will probably sell them on this site. Mainly to give collectors spares for their displays.

View attachment 520

Last edited:
Have you looked at a professional restoration?
I have seen some pretty ragged and damaged uniforms restored to display condition through the work of a good tailor, I know that National Army Museum here helps locals with information and contacts for such things I am certain that US military museums would do the same and more than likely have the facilities to do it themselves (for a fee).

In terms of WW1 I had a grandfather who I know very little about (he died will before I was born) who served as a rifleman with 1 NZEF at Galipoli and later in France who I have some memorabilia (medals, unit patches etc.) but I know very little about the guy other than knowing that he survived WW1 without injury.

Most of my time currently has been spent with my father and uncle's (7 in total) who served in WW2, separating their exploits and service medals has been a somewhat time consuming process.

The material of the pants and coat were really not repairable. They were thoroughly moth eaten after 80 years in storage. I do not believe these could be returned to "Inspection ready condition" and would not have embarrassed my Grandfather by displaying them. He died in 1929 and I am sure they were packed away then. I am lucky to have enough of his things to make a nice display without the uniform.

I have his discharge, billet card from the USS Leviathan, a pay-book, letters from France, his helmet, canteen, and the items posted here. I am trying to get copies of his military records also.

I did save the buttons but discarded the uniform.

I have bought a copy of History of the Seventh Division copyright by the 7th Division Officers Association 1927.

This book has a wealth of information from the formation of the Division to the return from France. Includes the results of the Division track and Field Meet held May 1919. Also medals awarded and casualties.

The material of the pants and coat were really not repairable. They were thoroughly moth eaten after 80 years in storage. I do not believe these could be returned to "Inspection ready condition" and would not have embarrassed my Grandfather by displaying them. He died in 1929 and I am sure they were packed away then. I am lucky to have enough of his things to make a nice display without the uniform.

I have his discharge, billet card from the USS Leviathan, a pay-book, letters from France, his helmet, canteen, and the items posted here. I am trying to get copies of his military records also.

I did save the buttons but discarded the uniform.

I have bought a copy of History of the Seventh Division copyright by the 7th Division Officers Association 1927.

This book has a wealth of information from the formation of the Division to the return from France. Includes the results of the Division track and Field Meet held May 1919. Also medals awarded and casualties.

Have you considered some of the reproduction and re-enactment sites as there appears to be a number of places selling these items (Obviously this is useless info if you want to keep the display to your Grandfathers items only), I have purchased a couple of items through a UK site but they don't seem to have any listings for American equipment but a friend who is into re-enactment recommended this site....

http://www.aefsupply.com/uniforms.htm

US 7th Division 55th Infantry WWI

My father was with a MG co. 55th Infantry. He served in France and was at the front from 10/10/1918 to 11/9/1918 and again 11/9/1918 to 11/11/1918. This information is from his Discharge papers. I know he sailed over on the USS Leviathian and returned on the USS Imperator. I am looking for more specific information on where his unit was during this period. The wording on the discharge papers is poorly written and looks something like "Prinelle" followed with the abrv. "sect." A letter he had written said he was at the front in the trenches for 30 days. He was at the front when the armistice was signed. He also mentioned staying at Camp La Vic for 10 days before moving up. Then he went to a town called Griszoncourt. I suspect that this last place might be misspelled as I could not locate it. Any info anyone could add would be appreciated. I still have his original issue helmet with the 7th division insignia on it.

Last edited:
There is a good book for the 7th Division in France. The title is HISTORY of the SEVENTH DIVISION. That is the outside title. The complete title inside is HISTORY of the SEVENTH DIVISION United States Army 1917-1919. I was told about the book on a collectors/history forum. I was able to find a copy on Amazon.com. from www.BarbossaBooks.com. If you look and find a copy check to make sure the maps in the back pocket are with it. They show the actual positions the 55Th occupied. My grandfather was a gunner on the 1 pounder in the 55Th Headquarters Company. He served at the front at the same time as edderduck grandfather.

The sector the Division occupied on October 10, 1918 was the Puvenelle Sector.

This book is really a prize because material was obtained from Official sources and approved by Unit Commanders. It was compiled by Captain Edgar Trmelett Fell Assistant G2 Seventh Division.

Copyright, 1927 Seventh Division Officers Association.

edderduck, I will give more info in a follow up. I don't have time right now.
Here is a link to my Flickr site where I have posted the 55Th Infantry Roster dated July31, 1918
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chukpike/sets/72157606505870853/

Last edited:
I know someone who served in Korea after the shooting stopped. He eventually became a band member and tooted a horn. They used to call the 7th the Beer Can Division because the emblem resembled the old steel beer cans that were opened with a churchkey (look that up kiddies).

I know someone who served in Korea after the shooting stopped. He eventually became a band member and tooted a horn. They used to call the 7th the Beer Can Division because the emblem resembled the old steel beer cans that were opened with a churchkey (look that up kiddies).

How many here know about steel cans or "church keys".

During Vietnam military beer was still in steel cans, always made me wonder how old the beer was.:drunkb:

Back