US 75mm Round

Chukpike

Banned
Here are pics of 75mm M16 Drill Cartridge with M59 Dummy fuse. The cartridge is made of approximately 1/4" brass with a steel dummy fuse and steel base. The cartridge is dated 1944 and is stamped 75mm Gun M1897, M1916 & M1917. Overall length is 26 1/4"
I am intending to sell but don't know a reasonable price or whether I should sell as a pair or separately. I would appreciate some advise from the experts.

View attachment 502

View attachment 503

View attachment 504

Last edited:
Here are pics of 75mm M16 Drill Cartridge with M59 Dummy fuse. The cartridge is made of approximately 1/4" brass with a steel dummy fuse and steel base. The cartridge is dated 1944 and is stamped 75mm Gun M1897, M1916 & M1917. Overall length is 26 1/4"
I am intending to sell but don't know a reasonable price or whether I should sell as a pair or separately. I would appreciate some advise from the experts.

View attachment 502

View attachment 503

View attachment 504

Not sure whether this is a help or not but I found this at an auction site, if nothing else you should be able to compare pictures and maybe set a corresponding price:

12362 U.S. 75MM/3 INCH DRILL CARTRIDGE - Mostly brass with steel dummy PDF Fuze M59 and steel base piece to provide a durable extractor rim. Have two of these and can make out on the base of one DRILL CARTRIDGE, 75mm Gun M1897, 1902 and maybe there is a M3 after that. These would be the guns used by the Field Artillery from pre-WW1 through the end of WW2, including in the M3 Grant/Lee tanks and the early M4 Sherman tanks. Drill cartridges are used to give the gun crews practice in setting the fuzes and manually loading the guns. As a result most are pretty well dinged up from use and abuse. These are in excellent condition, apparently unused, and are mostly just dirty with a few very minor storage dings. Fuze assembly has a few rusty sports bot overall fine. Base is heavily rusted and the nomenclature can be read on one but the other is too heavily rusted to read anything. Polish one of these up and it will be a great display item. Overall length about 25 inches long and weigh about 20 pounds. Price for one 75mm drill cartridge is $125.00 (View Picture)
http://oldguns.net/catho.htm

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. The cartridge I have are in better condition than the one shown in the ad. No rust and generally unused. There are no dents.

I am not sure about cleaning the brass as it may have some light brown coating. It looks more like a coating than discoloration from age. I should wash with soap and water and then take photos. I just took them out of the garage and shot the pictures here.

The nice even brown "coating" I thought these rounds had was 65years of things we probably don't want to know. Crud is the polite term. I used Greased Lighting a degreaser you can find at Home Depot to remove.

Then used Brasso with a fine 3M nylon pad to shine. This didn't take long but to get a real shine would have taken a few more polishings.

View attachment 507

View attachment 508

(click to enlarge image)

Last edited:
Back