Uribe plans to play this year

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor

DIONISIO SOLDEVILA

Associated Press

JUAN BARON, Dominican Republic - Chicago White Sox shortstop Juan Uribe plans to play in the major leagues this year despite ongoing legal troubles in his Caribbean homeland.
The 27-year-old Uribe, accused of shooting and wounding a farmer in October, was ordered on Friday to report to the San Cristobal courthouse in the Dominican Republic on the 15th and 30th day of every month as long as the case continues.
Uribe has denied involvement, and District Attorney Robert Lugo previously said prosecutors had seen no proof that Uribe was involved with the shooting.
On Friday, he wasn't sure he would play this year.
"I don't believe that the season is going to be affected by this incident. I think that it is going to end quickly," Uribe said during an interview in his hometown, about 28 miles southwest of the Dominican capital.
According to court documents, Uribe told the Dominican court on Friday: "I think that I am going to decide here if I am going to play or not this year."
Antonio Gonzalez Perez has said he was arguing with Uribe when the player pulled out a pistol and began to fire. An Italian man who was also shot did not file charges.
"It could be a month, a month-and-a-half, before the preliminary audience, and after that one or two more months before it goes to trial," said Roberto Faxas, a lawyer for Gonzalez.
Uribe batted .235 with 21 homers and 71 RBIs last season and is due to make $4.15 million this year.
"I spoke with Juan's attorney Martin Abreu twice today and just as I have all felt all offseason, I feel Juan will soon be officially exonerated," White Sox general manager Ken Williams said in an e-mail to The Associated Press on Monday night.
"The White Sox respect the Dominican legal process and to this point have refrained from comment on this matter. I personally will not comment any further on the matter other than to say that throughout the years Juan has given me no reason whatsoever to doubt his character and unless there is proof of inappropriate behavior, I will continue to stand in his corner."

Back