!!!URGENT!!! Civil Air Patrol Cadets !!!URGENT!!!

Is it a good idea to let older cadets promote faster?

• Total voters

USAFAUX2004

http://capblog.typepad.com/

Check the "Another Change to 52-16? Just Say No!" Article. I think it is absurd to give older kids the easy way out of the Airman ranks, even if I do know a few who are worthy of it. Read through the whole thing.

Cadets shouldn't be promoted faster solely based on their age. You need to show that you're capable of hanging the rank and the responsibilty that comes with it.

We had a few Cadets in my old Squadron that were promoted simply because they were a bit older than the rest of the people in their level, but they didn't show much ability to lead anyone. The most they did was flaunt their rank in front of other people. Needless to say, that was quickly sorted out by myself (The Squadron Commander) and my Officers.

Absolutely no way. My 1Lt couldnt lead a thirsty horse to water in the middle of a purified lake. He got promoted because he was older than me and I think thats about the most unfair thing anyone can do.

Ok, I didn't read all of the article, and I didn't see anything about age=promotions, but just to expand on what I said before.
It's a bad idea on a few levels. One being just because you are older does not mean you are more mature, or more skilled/knowledgeable. I have met 13 year old more mature then 20 year olds, so age does not always equal maturity.
Another problem is why should we set different standards? I understand that we already have something similar for the cadets who have been in JROTC for more then two years, which I do not fully support. But when you sign up to be a cadet we all start out at the same level, and we all work for the next promotion. It's through our time in grade, the struggle to progress, and willingness to learn that we grow as cadets and people. I would like to continue to say to my cadets "I understand the struggle it is to promote, we all went through the same thing"

As to if this proposal was actually made, I'm not really surprised. If it wasn't, well, let's just hope no one actually puts it into action.

The 16+ fast promotion was closer to the end of the article, and it is true, there are some 16 year old who act like they are 5

Agreed that it's a bad idea! Rank represents what a cadet is capable of, Straight down to it. The only way that rule would be generally affective is if they made it where that had to get a signed letter from the CC saying they are fit for it. I have to deal with a ADD 17 year old basic. He has passed all the tests up to a1c. But he won't get promoted because he is unable to represent CAP. am I wrong? Please let me know, lol.
:rambo:

USAFAUX2004 said:
The 16+ fast promotion was closer to the end of the article, and it is true, there are some 16 year old who act like they are 5
Yeah their are some cadets in my NJROTC class and they are officers
And I was like hey how did they get up to that rank so fast?

058flightsgt said:
Agreed that it's a bad idea! Rank represents what a cadet is capable of, Straight down to it. The only way that rule would be generally affective is if they made it where that had to get a signed letter from the CC saying they are fit for it. I have to deal with a ADD 17 year old basic. He has passed all the tests up to a1c. But he won't get promoted because he is unable to represent CAP. am I wrong? Please let me know, lol.
:rambo:

Well here is the thing. YOU CANNOT HOLD HIM BACK BECAUSE OF ADD! I do not care what he has. I have worked teaching rifle drill to such a cadet, and yes it is a pain in the ass, but you cannot hold them at basic, or airman. You need to let them promote that is what 52-16 says (and that is where CAP contradicts itself again) It says maturity needs to be taken in account, but the way I see it is that let them promote if they can, but they will never get to officer grades. NEVER. Yes I am a hypocrite for saying it, but they should not be allowed to become leaders, because they will not be able to lead (most can't even follow). Let them get to what ever enlisted grade they can, but they will never pass the Mitchell. (Of coarse I have heard stories of them over coming the ADD and actually being able to become officers, but it is very rare). CAP states that you cannot stop anyone from joining. I have in my short CAP career taught people with ADD, Hand/Eye Coordination problems, and other forms of "problems" (Maturity was a common one for younger cadets). But all of the cadets eventually learned Drill, rifle drill and such. You just have to work with them.

emphasis mine
CAPR 52-16 Cadet Program Management 1 Apr 03 said:
2-4. PROMOTIONS.
a. A new cadet grade is earned when the cadet completes each achievement (except achievement 8, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15, or 16, which confer no promotion in grade) and the squadron commander (or deputy commander for cadets) signs the CAPF 52-1 (or 52-2, 52-3, 52-4 as appropriate). When the squadron commander or the deputy commander for cadets signs a cadet’s CAPF 52, they are attesting to the cadet’s ability to assume the next grade. By promoting a cadet, the squadron commander is recognizing that the individual is capable of accepting increased responsibility.
b. There are no temporary promotions or demotions, including temporary or “field” promotions or demotions at encampments and other activities.
c. There are no discretionary grades.
d. Cadets will wear their earned grade on their uniform at every CAP activity.
e. Commanders should retain a cadet in grade if the cadet’s performance or maturity does not demonstrate an ability to accept increased responsibility commensurate with the promotion. In such instances, commanders will provide the cadet with appropriate counseling to include a synopsis of the skills and behaviors that the cadet must improve upon. A date for a subsequent review will be made. Use of the CAPF 50 Cadet Progression Evaluation is required.
f. A cadet progression evaluation using the CAPF 50 will be made at least once per phase. Evaluators will be cadet officers of higher grades than the cadet being evaluated, or senior members. Commanders may approve or disapprove the evaluation; ultimately it is the unit commander’s responsibility to ensure the cadet’s progress is evaluated properly and that he or she receives appropriate counseling once per phase.

let me pose a question. I'm C/Sra. I don't have time to study for testign, I'm very busy. I am a squadron commander aswell, I am the oldest in my squadron by two years, I'm 18 I am a very busy person yell a 15 year old has Chief already and is going to C/2nd LT, what am I sppose to do?? Not only is it akward for the cadets but in public it's a disgrace. I was placed over everyone ovther than tyhe Cheif because I exrcise acutal authority rather than being a "cluster****".

What angers me the most is having some 14 year old C/1st LT who's been in for six months telling I'm doing somthing wrong, when I have been in the program for three years. I know what I'm doing, I've got more knowledge in my foot than he does in his head. I wouldn't care if he was 14 and it was his 4th SAREX then thats something, but no he's telling me who's GTL, GTM 1,2 and 3, MRO, SET, UDF, GES qualifed that I'm not doing anything right because he in his personal opinion thinks it should be done this way.

Another thing is that I think the test isn't very good. Yes it's great that we teach and expand children's minds on Aerospace education but what about the leadership aspect? Aerospace isn't going to help in leadership. It isn't hard to learn how a Radial Avco-Lycoming w/ an overhead valve works. Basically a similar layout to a car engine, but instead of the drive shaft turning a belt it is rotating the propeller.

Now I don't agree that older cadets should be promoted faster, but neither do I agree that ROTC cadets should be. I have 4 ROTC cadets in my squadron, and they cause the most trouble. What should happen is that older cadets should be able to take a comprhensive test to where they can rise a bit faster in rank. Now remember, we're not handing it out like candy, you've gotta pass the test, both written and verbal.

This is my opinion, take it as you see it. it's open to interpitation.

This is kind of an old thread, but if you don't mind, I'd like to put in my two cents. I've never heard of this whole thing with being promoted just because of age, because there are two cadets in my squadron that just joined and are 17 and still working towards their first stripe. I think being promoted just because of age is a bad idea, simply put.

Back